Holiday 2006 console sales figures erroneous

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/03/holiday-2006-console-sales-figures-erroneous/

Since most of the Game Console threads end up in CPUs anyway, figured more people should know about this.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/03/holiday-2006-console-sales-figures-erroneous/

Since most of the Game Console threads end up in CPUs anyway, figured more people should know about this.

Nice Find! Can CNBC and everyone who used their info say "Oops!"

TabrisDarkPeace

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2006
I reckon around 70% of the people who used the source will not notice within 2 weeks that the source doesn't exist.

Just like The Register (and others), making up news to get hits.

"I'd like some truth in my news please"

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
I reckon around 70% of the people who used the source will not notice within 2 weeks that the source doesn't exist.

Just like The Register (and others), making up news to get hits.

"I'd like some truth in my news please"

If it bleeds, it leads, otherwise make it up as you go

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
As many of you may or may not have seen, yesterday El Reg ran a story based on a CNBC report which stated that during the holidays (namely from November to December of last year), the numbers shook out such that the big three console game companies moved: 2 million Xbox 360s, 1.8 million Wiis, and 750,000 PS3s. We thought that report sounded a bit dubious, and now according to NPD, CNBC mis-cited a not-yet-existent report. The numbers, which are now considered to be erroneous, don't really correlate to anything on NPD's end as their forthcoming console retail report (which will include compiled retailed sales figures) will not be released for another week or so. (We still don't really have any idea what report it was CNBC was actually citing.) Although it wouldn't really surprise us if Xbox-Wii-PS3 is the actual order the console sales took over the last couple of months, as far as we know there isn't yet any evidence to support that assertion, so we'll all have to wait and see exactly which group of fanboys is proved right or wrong in '06.

Work didn't block me. :wink:

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
thanks vbdude.

typical media, trying to get the jump on news. I'd rather have no news than false news. That's really sad coming from a major network like NBC.

Even if their numbers turn out to be an accurate leak, why not wait for the actual report to ensure it is REAL news?