Screwed up PS2 Ports

Balk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
So, I got back from this big LAN party the other day, at which my computer had been working just fine. When I got home and hooked everything back up, the computer wouldn't boot, because it wouldn't detect the keyboard.
I shrugged it off and adjusted the connection, hoping that was the problem. No dice.
Eventually after trying a couple things, including testing the mouse and keyboard on another computer and confirming they were in working order, I plugged the keyboard into the mouse port and the mouse into the keyboard port. Interestingly enough, the computer booted just fine without any beeps or error messages, but when Windows loaded, neither of the devices worked obviously because they were plugged into the wrong ports.
So I got out my dad's Compaq USB keyboard, which is probably the only keyboard in existence that actually LAGS. The Mouse was USB, too. Plugged them both in, and they both worked and worked fine.
I tried a couple times to plug the PS2 keyboard back in, and discovered that wiggling the connector around in the port caused it to turn on and off, so I figured the ports may have been bumped out of place enough to not properly detect the keyboard and mouse properly.
The USB devices still work, though, but this keyboard is very, very annoying and I would obviously rather have my computer in good, working order rather than its current state.
My motherboard is a Soltek KT333 SL75 Model, and it's just over a month old.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Those little clips in the socket can loosen with repeated use, your only hope is usually to replace the whole PS-2 riser, and you'll probably only find one cheap on a broken board. Intel boards use good quality sockets.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>

Balk

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2002
Actually, I got it to work. Might only be temportary, though.
I pressed on the back of the PS2 ports and heard a *click*. I thought I had broken it. But I checked to see if it might work anyway...and it did. Whew.