unable to download windows update because of non-registrat..

I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by a local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and key.I am unable to register now as the process appears to be activation cum registration..........
3 answers Last reply
More about unable download windows update registrat

    Exactly what happens?
    Registration is optional and therefore has no effect on Windows update
    or anything else for that matter.
    Activation is necessary but you will lose Windows functionality and
    will not even get close to Windows Update.

    Does this link fit what happens:
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

    If not post back more details of exactly what happens with exact error
    message.

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]

    "cusman2004" <cusman2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by
    a local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product
    eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and key.I
    am unable to register now as the process appears to be activation cum
    registration..........

    cusman2004 said in
    > I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by a
    > local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product
    > eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and
    > key.I am unable to register now as the process appears to be
    > activation cum registration..........

    When you try to activate, and after it rejects the attempt, doesn't it
    list a telephone number to call Microsoft to talk with their techs to do
    a manual activation?

    *** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.

    The vendor isnt suppose to register xp,the end-user does.Windows update has
    nothing to do with registering unless 30 days have expired since its start.
    Try useing update from microsoft.com main page,for registering xp,use the
    phone option,a dial-up nos is given,thier open 24 hrs a day.

    "cusman2004" wrote:

    > I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by a local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and key.I am unable to register now as the process appears to be activation cum registration..........

Download Windows Update Microsoft Windows XP