unable to download windows update because of non-registrat..

June 19, 2004 3:50:01 AM

I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by a local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and key.I am unable to register now as the process appears to be activation cum registration..........
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 5:00:48 AM

Exactly what happens?
Registration is optional and therefore has no effect on Windows update
or anything else for that matter.
Activation is necessary but you will lose Windows functionality and
will not even get close to Windows Update.

Does this link fit what happens:
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/invalpk.htm

If not post back more details of exactly what happens with exact error
message.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]

"cusman2004" <cusman2004@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by
a local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product
eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and key.I
am unable to register now as the process appears to be activation cum
registration..........
Anonymous
June 19, 2004 11:14:25 AM

cusman2004 said in
> I am using a Compaq PC that had preloaded Wndows XP Pro supplied by a
> local vendor.It appears the vendor has not registered the product
> eventhough the the sticker on the tower gives the product id and
> key.I am unable to register now as the process appears to be
> activation cum registration..........

When you try to activate, and after it rejects the attempt, doesn't it
list a telephone number to call Microsoft to talk with their techs to do
a manual activation?

*** Email domain = ".com" *AND* append "=NEWS=" to Subject.
June 19, 2004 11:58:01 AM

The vendor isnt suppose to register xp,the end-user does.Windows update has
nothing to do with registering unless 30 days have expired since its start.
Try useing update from microsoft.com main page,for registering xp,use the
phone option,a dial-up nos is given,thier open 24 hrs a day.