Hourglass/programs running in the background

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

We recently upgraded from Windows ME to Windows XP at
first it was great ! Now I have been having alot of
problmes with programs thats running in the background
and my hourglass never goes away. It will let you go
ahead with what you want to do but with the hourglass
there it makes me wonder what is it doing in the
background. I have Norton Firewall and this computer is
pretty new so it shouldnt be bogged down. Any ideas.

Molly

Poor system performance can be the result of a single problem or a combination of factors. Listed
below are issues, which you may wish to examine if you are experiencing poor performance after
the boot process has completed. Some items may help with slow starting of Windows XP but the
list has not been prepared for tackling that problem. Work through the list until you achieve an
acceptable result.

Regular and effective housekeeping is essential. What you do and how often you do it will depend
on how you use your computer. A suggested routine may include:

1. In Outlook Express empty your Deleted Items folder.
2. In Outlook Express run File, Folder, Compact All whilst OFFLINE.
3. Run Disk Cleanup. Start, Programs, Accessories, System Tools, Disk Cleanup with
Temporary Internet Files, Offline Web Pages (optional), and Recycle Bin selected for
deletion. If you have more than one drive / partition you may need to do this operation for
each drive / partition.
4. Remove Cookies. Start, Control Panel, Internet Options, General, Delete Cookies.
5. Run Disk Defragmenter.

Check whether you could reduce the number of days the History of sites visited is retained. Start,
Control Panel, Internet Options, General, History.

Spyware causes many problems. If not installed download Adaware and / or update Reference file
from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/ and use it to remove parasites. If Spyware
persists as a problem try a Hosts file.
http://www.accs-net.com/hosts/what_is_hosts.html

Slow performance resulting from insufficient memory, causing over reliance on virtual memory,
may be especially noticed by those upgrading to Windows XP from an earlier version of Windows.
Windows XP will run with 64 MB of RAM memory. However, a minimum of 256 MB is
recommended and many users will recommend 512 MB. You may check on pagefile (virtual
memory) usage with Page File Monitor for XP:
http://www.dougknox.com/

Check your setting for the Indexing Service. Start, Administrative Tools, Services, Indexing
Service. The default setting is Manual. Check that it is not running. More information here:
http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/service411.htm#Indexing_Service

You can have too many programmes running in the background. Close programmes/windows after
use. Check whether all the programmes loading when Windows is started are really necessary.
http://aumha.org/a/loads.htm

Check whether you can identify slow performance with a particular programme. Look in Google to
see whether others have encountered the same problem and found a solution.
http://groups.google.com/

Are there any error messages in Event Viewer? You can access Event Viewer by selecting Start,
Administrative Tools, and Event Viewer. When researching the meaning of the error, information
regarding Event ID: and Source Description is important.
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;308427&Product=winxp

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry