New # for SiS with Dual RDRAM???

RISC_Free

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2002
As recently as June 24, Tom's listed in the "Chipsets for P4" that the SiS648 was due in November 2002, and would support "Dual RDRAM". (Last listed in "Warp Speed with Rambus: Six Boards for PC1066").

Since the July 20 article "DDR400 Kills Rambus: Shooting Star SiS 648 for P4", it's apparent that either SiS changed specs for the 648 or the wrong chipset data was listed to begin with. (No reproach intended here, Tom. I KNOW how easy it is with lots of data, MFGs changing specs, and multiple fingers on the KYBs for both correct info to become out of date, and for typos to get entered then be replicated along for months before found).

I have been waiting for the SiS 648 with Dual RDRAM to see how badly it kicked the i850E, and how it did compared to DDR400, only because it was listed in the "Chipsets for P4." The SiS web site wasn't much help here, but then they list the SiS 648 as only supporting up to DDR333. But changed spec or typo, I don't care.

What I do want to know is: Does SiS have a chipset coming in November that supports Dual RDRAM up to PC1066? (SiS has been doing a better job of providing memory support then Intel) If so, what is the chipset #?

What U mean I'm "Stranger"?? <font color=red> Stranger then Who??? </font color=red> :wink:

jamus34

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2002
Yeah, I personally was wondering on the SiS 648, since it seems to have everything I want in a MB.

Are SiS chipsets considered' reliable? Or do they fall into the Via trap?

Your using WHAT??? (quote from friend when I told him my PC specs)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
IT's the 658 that will support Rambus, but the 655 before that will support Dual Channel DDR and will probably offer higher performance than the 658, because DDR has less latency and dual channels will give it the bandwidth it needs. The 648 is nothing more than a revised 645DX.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>