Locking Programs

I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and experience (I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM tray in it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing, and personal programs that I use on this pc.
Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair and taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want others to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area on the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that particular area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK that folder?
--
Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
Amber

Hi Amber,

No, there isn't. If someone really wants to steal software, there are much
easier ways. Frankly, if you don't trust the shop, don't bring your machine
there.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and experience
(I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
> I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM tray in
it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
> I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing, and
personal programs that I use on this pc.
> Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair and
taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want
others to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
> Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area on
the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that particular
area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK that
folder?
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

You could zip put them into a passworded zip file or use one of the various
freeware encryption utilities. It's also wise to make backups before
giving any PC to a repair shop.
--

"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and experience
(I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
> I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM tray in
it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
> I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing, and
personal programs that I use on this pc.
> Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair and
taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want
others to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
> Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area on
the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that particular
area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK that
folder?
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Best Buy has access to so many different avenues for programs they sure
wouldn't be interested in yours.
"Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and experience
(I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
> I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM tray in
it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
> I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing, and
personal programs that I use on this pc.
> Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair and
taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want others
to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
> Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area on
the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that particular
area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK that
folder?
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber

GTS .........
Thank you for your "positive suggestion" (as compared to being shot down by 2 other people.)
I will work on the suggested project.
I guess the other 2 replies forget that this is a user's group for .. ahem ... "new users" ...
Thanks again .. GT

--

"GTS" wrote:

> You could zip put them into a passworded zip file or use one of the various
> freeware encryption utilities. It's also wise to make backups before
> giving any PC to a repair shop.
> --
>
> "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and experience
> (I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
> > I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM tray in
> it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
> > I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing, and
> personal programs that I use on this pc.
> > Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair and
> taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want
> others to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
> > Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area on
> the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that particular
> area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK that
> folder?
> > --
> > Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> > Amber

Amber,

Not trying to be harsh, but given physical access to a machine, I can pretty
much assure you that any protection measures you invoke can be broken by
soemone who knows how. This is why I stated that you should not bring the
system to a shop you do not trust.

It takes me less than an hour to make a drive image of any system I work on
(I do so as a means of recovery before beginning any major tasks), and
though the machine is returned to the user, the image will stay with me.
Normally I destroy them within a week. However, if I really wanted to know
what was on the system, I can probably know in a few minutes.

--

> GTS .........
> Thank you for your "positive suggestion" (as compared to being shot down
by 2 other people.)
> I will work on the suggested project.
> I guess the other 2 replies forget that this is a user's group for .. ahem
.... "new users" ...
> Thanks again .. GT
>
> --
> Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> Amber
>

> "GTS" wrote:
>
> > You could zip put them into a passworded zip file or use one of the
various
> > freeware encryption utilities. It's also wise to make backups before
> > giving any PC to a repair shop.
> > --
> >
> > "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > > I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and
experience
> > (I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
> > > I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM
tray in
> > it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
> > > I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing,
and
> > personal programs that I use on this pc.
> > > Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair
and
> > taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want
> > others to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
> > > Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area
on
> > the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that
particular
> > area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK
that
> > folder?
> > > --
> > > Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> > > Amber

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Your welcome. It's good to see a "new user" using good sense re. security.
Good luck with the upgrade.
--

"GTS" <x> wrote in message news:ujYmisuVEHA.2840@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
> You could zip put them into a passworded zip file or use one of the
various
> freeware encryption utilities. It's also wise to make backups before
> giving any PC to a repair shop.
> --
>
> "Amber" <Amber@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'm sure this sounds stupid to thowse of you with knowledge and
experience
> (I'm just a "newbie" to Windows XP)
> > I will be taking my pc to the shop (best buy) to have a DVD/CD-ROM tray
in
> it. (It uses one tray for reading and burning)
> > I have my banking and financial accounts and saved word processing, and
> personal programs that I use on this pc.
> > Also, I have heard pc techs brag about "robbing" pc's in for repair and
> taking many programs from numerous pc's. And, persoanlly, I don't want
> others to pirate programs that I have paid money for.
> > Is there ANY way to possibly put certain programs in a particular area
on
> the desktop and drag these programs to that site and LOCK that particular
> area? Or possibly put them in a single file in the directory and LOCK
that
> folder?
> > --
> > Thanks for any assistance or suggestions.
> > Amber

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Shot down??? Aren't you just a little bit paranoid? If you have something so
TOP secret, save them to something that can be reloaded such as a CD then
delete the secret items from your disk BEFORE you take it in.