Sign in with
Your question

Windows 7 or Windows 8 for a gaming build?

Last response: in Windows 8
October 7, 2012 11:15:07 PM

I am intending to build a PC with Windows 7 or Windows 8 for games. I do have concernes with Windows 8 though. For starters the fact that it performs less than Windows 7 is not cool. I do understand it may perform better when it is refined therough updates, but there it is also more of a learning curve when you are used to how to running windows 7. I have heard about some software licensing concerns with Windows 8.

the specs on the computer are:

-Intel Core i5 3570K Boxed 3.4GHz Unlocked 3rd Generation Processor
- ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
- DDR 3 16 GB 1866 mhz (Patriot Brand)
- Black Enermax Hoplite SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case ECA3220, w/ Side Window and 12cm Blue/Red Combo-LED .
- CORSAIR CX Series CX750 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
-COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus RR-B10-212P-G1 "Heatpipe Direct Contact" Long Life Sleeve 120mm CPU Cooler Compatible with Intel 1155
-Seagate 1TB Serial ATA/300 Hard Drive
- Black LG UH12LS29 Internal SATA 12x LightScribe Blu-ray Optical Drive, w/ 3D Playback and M-DISC Support, 16x DVD+R/-R, 4MB Cache. OEM
- GIGABYTE GV-N670OC-2GD GeForce GTX 670 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
- Corsair Force Series GS 2.5in 360GB SATA III 6Gb/s Internal Solid State Drive (SSD), Model: CSSD-F360GBGS-BK. ds-dh

My main concern is that Windows 8 will be like Vista. Windows 7 is a known stable operating system. Windows 8 is more of a gamble it seems.
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 7, 2012 11:30:34 PM

Hi :) 

All the best Brett :) 
m
l
October 7, 2012 11:40:45 PM

Well I was kinda wanting to know why. I was already leaning toward 7, but if 8 is preferable I also wanted to know why.
m
l
Related resources
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 7, 2012 11:46:21 PM

Running Windows 8 myself on a gaming rig, I can tell you from my experience that there is no discernible performance difference on my system, and with the specs you listed above, there should be no difference for you either between Windows 7 or Windows 8.

The only concern you should have is the learning curve with Windows 8. If you stick with the desktop there is almost zero difference... in that respect, it's like going from Vista to 7, rather than XP to 7. Metro may be a bit confusing at first, but the more you use it, the easier it will be to handle (and it only took me the better part of a day to figure it out). I use Metro maybe 10% of the time I am on my Windows 8 system. It really doesn't get in the way.

In terms of stability, I have yet to see Windows 8 crash. Like Vista and 7 before it, I have tried to crash Windows 8 and failed. Not one blue screen yet, and i've had it since it appeared on TechNet (August 15th).

I am curious about the licensing concerns you had though? Could you elaborate on that a bit more?

Edit: For clarification, I am running the RTM build, which is what appeared on TechNet on August 15th.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 7, 2012 11:56:16 PM

Wait, how do you mean "it performs less than windows 7"?
It's a slimmer OS that requires less system resources - that means that it performs better and faster than windows 7, especially on less powerful rigs.

[Which means that more of your system resources can be dedicated to the game.]

Also, regarding your rig, your RAM is overkill. For gaming you need no more than 8Gigs, and Intel only supports 1600MHz native - it also doesn't get hardly any sort of speed boost from faster ram, so it's a waste of money.

Other than that, your rig looks pretty good.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 8, 2012 12:42:57 AM

@ DarkSable,

RAM is so cheap, why not? I have 64GB in my system, and I use about 50% to 75% at any given time. Granted, a fair amount of that is allocated to a RAM drive for certain games I play, but one can find uses for it.

On Newegg.ca, the price difference between a 16GB set of DDR3-1866 and an 8GB set is between $30-$50. It's not that big of a deal. 32GB would most certainly be unnecessary, but 16 isn't something we should REALLY be debating here. The OP is also asking more about the OS running on the machine than the hardware inside of it.

Edit: Your point about the ram speed definitely holds more water, but I would argue that getting higher spec'ed RAM and running it underclocked should lead to better stability, plus if the OP wants to run it at it's spec'ed frequency for a bit more speed as the system ages to extend the system's life, he has that option in this scenario.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:03:03 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Running Windows 8 myself on a gaming rig, I can tell you from my experience that there is no discernible performance difference on my system, and with the specs you listed above, there should be no difference for you either between Windows 7 or Windows 8.

The only concern you should have is the learning curve with Windows 8. If you stick with the desktop there is almost zero difference... in that respect, it's like going from Vista to 7, rather than XP to 7. Metro may be a bit confusing at first, but the more you use it, the easier it will be to handle (and it only took me the better part of a day to figure it out). I use Metro maybe 10% of the time I am on my Windows 8 system. It really doesn't get in the way.

In terms of stability, I have yet to see Windows 8 crash. Like Vista and 7 before it, I have tried to crash Windows 8 and failed. Not one blue screen yet, and i've had it since it appeared on TechNet (August 15th).

I am curious about the licensing concerns you had though? Could you elaborate on that a bit more?

Edit: For clarification, I am running the RTM build, which is what appeared on TechNet on August 15th.

The licensing concerns is that Microsoft is making it harder to make and or license software for Windows 8. I googled it when looking for information on weather to get windows 7 or 8.

As to stability, I have never found stability issues I have had 7 for 3 years and the only times I have had issues with my machine it was a hardware issue (like a fan getting dislodged on the laptop.)

I have read sites say it Windows 8 also benchmarks slightly less than Windows 7, mostly in games. I frankly do not care if it boots up and down faster.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:05:01 AM

DarkSable said:
Wait, how do you mean "it performs less than windows 7"?
It's a slimmer OS that requires less system resources - that means that it performs better and faster than windows 7, especially on less powerful rigs.

[Which means that more of your system resources can be dedicated to the game.]

Also, regarding your rig, your RAM is overkill. For gaming you need no more than 8Gigs, and Intel only supports 1600MHz native - it also doesn't get hardly any sort of speed boost from faster ram, so it's a waste of money.

Other than that, your rig looks pretty good.

Darksable as to the RAM I know it is more than I need, but a friend bought too much and well 16 will probably mean I will not need to upgrade for a long time. Regardless it was free, so why not. I originally wanted 32, and as Prophecy said, "RAM is so cheap, why not?"

As to it being too fast... well unless that will causes stability issues it does not matter, as it is free RAM.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:30:02 AM

As to Windows 8 it being more stable is good, but Windows 7 has never crashed on my machine. I think the worst problem I have had is specific programs crashing, which is the program not windows. I have not seen a blue screen since Windows XP 64 bit.

As I said the benchmarks on several sites have Windows 8 lagging behind 7 in games (which is where I care the most about speed.) I will admit it is only slightly, but why deal with the learning curve if Windows 7 already works fine? Then there is the other problem with the "licensing" I worded it wrong. here is an article talking about the certifications, which is what I meant.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/notch-refuses-to-certify-m...

I confess I am not a minecraft player, but he was not the only company that disagreed with this practice.

here is another article about the same issue.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-10797_3-57522484-235/minecraf...
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 1:33:39 AM

If you need it now. Windows 7, if you need it after the 26th pick one both will work, 8 will take some getting used to but I think it will be ok. I tried upgrading to Win 8 today but it failed and I really don't want to do a clean install at this point in time so I'll stick with Win 7 for a bit longer. I have a Technet subscription as well so I have Win 8 burned and waiting to go.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 1:36:35 AM

I would install it on another HDD but I prefer not to switch back and fourth, eventually I will just move on and get used to it. I'm probably going to be selling the desktop in favor of a surface pro when they release anyhow. Definitely getting the kids surface RT for xmas.
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:37:12 AM

I am probably just gonna go with 7 there may be nothing wrong with 8, but I am familiar with 7 and well I do not trust Microsoft after Vista. I used a vista computer, which crashed every 5 minutes. I only upgraded to windows 7 from XP because I had to get another computer and well I BETA tested Windows 7.""

I know I like 7 and it benchmarks a tad better than 8 (not enough to matter). I guess it may be confusing, but the rig I am building is replacing this laptop and I am selling it with the Windows 7 license, so I will need another one.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 1:41:01 AM

Vista is my personal favorite. Alot of people had issues and likely so most people upgraded from XP machines with ide hard drives slow ram and small amounts of ram, but if you had a Vista machine with 4G of DDR 800 ram or better and a core 2 duo or better CPU Vista ran like a dream. It's biggest downfall was way to many users tried running it on slow hardware with 1G or less ram. I miss my animated wallpaper :( 
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 1:44:41 AM

Do yourself a favor when buying your Windows 7, grab a technet subscription for $199 then you can have Win 7 and Win 8 along with office and many other MS programs. People say bla bla your not supposed to do that but a ton of people do it and I personally don't see anything wrong with it, especially since the cut the keys they give you down to 2 per software, so basically you get 2 keys with 10 activations each. So 20 Win 7 pro, and 20 Win 8 pro ect...... cant go wrong for $199
m
l
October 8, 2012 1:57:56 AM

The_Prophecy said:
@ DarkSable,

RAM is so cheap, why not? I have 64GB in my system, and I use about 50% to 75% at any given time. Granted, a fair amount of that is allocated to a RAM drive for certain games I play, but one can find uses for it.

I have 12GB of RAM in my system, I only seem to use a Maximum of 6GB.
Until I fire up some RAMdisks :) . I have commonly played BF3 maps mirrored onto saved RAMdisk files, and they use up ~5GB extra RAM. Necessary? No, awesome? Yes.

As you said RAM is cheap now. And for $40 more you can RAMdisk some game levels by using mklink for folders in cmd. Cold starting BF3 and getting 1.4 second level loads is simply awesome. I have several backed up RAMDisk files on my HDD for other games aswell, just mount them and BAM! Works wonders for games that stream textures or suffer long loading screens.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 8, 2012 2:21:54 AM

daship said:
Do yourself a favor when buying your Windows 7, grab a technet subscription for $199 then you can have Win 7 and Win 8 along with office and many other MS programs. People say bla bla your not supposed to do that but a ton of people do it and I personally don't see anything wrong with it, especially since the cut the keys they give you down to 2 per software, so basically you get 2 keys with 10 activations each. So 20 Win 7 pro, and 20 Win 8 pro ect...... cant go wrong for $199

Keep in mind that this usage model is not allowed and will get your Technet subscription cancelled. When you get those 2 licenses, those are for 2 machines and you can reinstall and reactivate them up to 10 times each. Using those on 20 different machines is illegal.

The point about actually getting the Technet sub is still totally valid though, and I can vouch for it personally. It's an awesome deal that more computer enthusiasts should be taking advantage of while Microsoft offers it.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 8, 2012 2:32:05 AM

The_Prophecy said:
Keep in mind that this usage model is not allowed and will get your Technet subscription cancelled. When you get those 2 licenses, those are for 2 machines and you can reinstall and reactivate them up to 10 times each. Using those on 20 different machines is illegal.

The point about actually getting the Technet sub is still totally valid though, and I can vouch for it personally. It's an awesome deal that more computer enthusiasts should be taking advantage of while Microsoft offers it.

Check the faqs you most certainly can use it on 20 machines, thats why you used to get 10 keys for 100 activations so you could evaluate the software in a big corperation. And you most certainly can use it on your own private computer, if you have more then one good for you use em all, if not you got extra.

I've had a technet sub for years it will never get canceled unless you sell/give away keys and they get abused. Using them for personal use your good to go.

All the cheap KEY only deals on ebay are from idiots selling their technet sub keys and ya eventually the will loose their accounts.
m
l
a c 215 $ Windows 7
a b * Windows 8
October 8, 2012 3:33:58 AM

Those are retail licenses they are providing, not Multi-Activation keys like you would get for, say Windows Server 2008 R2 (MAK licenses had up to 500 activations if memory serves). Retail license terms state that you can use 1 key on one machine, and reactivate it up to 10 times online (in cases where you have to reinstall the software after, for example having to reinstall your OS).

I found nothing specifically stating that you could deploy software in your scenario using the same key 10 times on 10 different machines. If you can find it, I will gladly check it out and believe you if are indeed correct. I will openly admit it in this thread if need be (though I will continue looking through the TechNet site to find something that gives those details either way).
m
l
October 8, 2012 4:22:46 AM

Early versions of Vista were very bad. The friends machine that had Vista was not an ungrade, it was a laptop that was duo core with like 3 gigs of RAM. IT was a fairly unstable operating system.
m
l
October 9, 2012 9:53:18 PM

I have an Asus X51L (2008) laptop. I've been using 7 since it came out in 2009. I haven't had, not 1 BSoD or crashes, althought I was playing with my OS and had to reinstall few times, but these were all my mistakes.
Just 2 days ago, I installed Windows 8 RTM Build 9200.
My laptop runs like it's on drugs!
I needed from 45-105 seconds for Windows to boot up, including the Asus logo which lasts for 7-9 seconds.
Now, along with the logo, my laptop boots up within 25 seconds (with me typing the password from 3-5 seconds, or even more, sometimes).
It works like a charm.
I'm using metro a lot, and the OS runs pretty smooth!
It's just amazing!
Not even with Ubuntu has my laptop been so fast (ubuntu is 1 of fastest booting OSes).
I'm telling you! You can't go wrong with 8. It may be difficult for some to get used to metro style, but there's always desktop...

m
l
!