clear CMOS before boot or mobo=dead

Phroenyx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
Hi y'all. I got such great response from my last post that I thought I'd try this one out on you, too!

I''ve got a fairly old MS-6156VA motherboard, with a pII-350, which for some reason, refuses to start up unless I flash the BIOS each time. Otherwise, there is virtually no activity whatsoever, except maybe a little Fan movement when you flick the switch. It restarts fine, and will occasionally turn on again, although I haven't worked out why (possibly after shorter intervals, if you catch my drift).

Although its a complete stab in the dark, I'm thinking this might be a battery problem? as I said, it randomly turns on again, and if it is after shorter intervals then maybe the battery keeps running out? can this happen?

If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate them loads (because it would mean I'd be able to use a 700 athlon for redHat) ;)

Hope you can help me out,
Mark

<b>free hot birdy with <i>Phroenyx</i></b> :eek: <P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phroenyx on 07/26/02 10:26 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey P,

Does the bios date/clock work? If it doesn't, it is the battery for sure.............but why not change the battery just for kicks, they are cheap enough.

Peace Out...........tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing

Phroenyx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
erm - I presumed the Time/date is lost whenever you flash it anyway? if that isn't true then "no, it doesn't stay." :D

think I'll probably try changing it anyway, as you say, they're cheap enough! if it doesnt' work I'll be back to heckle you some more.

cheers for the prompt response,
p

Phroenyx

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2001
okay - have tried changing the battery but its still givnig me the same problem.

Does anybody have any ideas why a board could just act dead unless you clear the CMOS settings?

thanks hopingly in advance,
mark

TRENDING THREADS