Keyboard shortcuts for internet urls

June 20, 2004 1:26:42 PM

Many years ago I made keyboard shortcuts for internet urls that I use
frequently. (I made shortcuts, put them on the desktop and added a
keyboard shortcut.)

After I upgraded to Windows XP a few days ago, I copied these shortcuts
to the Windows XP desktop but they do not work correctly in XP. Under
98 SE, I could type the shortcuts and my default browser would go to
that url if the browser was open or not. Now the shortcuts only work if
the browser is closed.

How can I get these shortcuts to work in XP the same way they worked in
98 SE? Thank you in advance for all replies.
--
I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an

>Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> wrote:

>Many years ago I made keyboard shortcuts for internet urls that I use
>frequently. (I made shortcuts, put them on the desktop and added a
>keyboard shortcut.)
>
>After I upgraded to Windows XP a few days ago, I copied these shortcuts
>to the Windows XP desktop but they do not work correctly in XP. Under
>98 SE, I could type the shortcuts and my default browser would go to
>that url if the browser was open or not. Now the shortcuts only work if
>the browser is closed.
>
>How can I get these shortcuts to work in XP the same way they worked in
>98 SE? Thank you in advance for all replies.

This doesn't answer your question as stated, but you might try a
freeware program called Winkey. It uses the Windows Key for a variety
of shortcuts, a few built-in (including shortcuts to maximize or
minimize the active window). PCWorld says that some 200 are available
that the user can program, not sure of the number but it exceeds my
needs and memory. . I have a number of shortcuts to internet sites
that I've created - they open the designated browser..

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid...
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 10:08:12 PM

Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
[[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you want
to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start with
CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the key
and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot use
the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.]] |
Apply | OK

[[Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
will not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:p hlad0lu33puk3m5ls1u5v4lvtjhukvln3@4ax.com,
Daniel Prince <neutrino1@comcast.net> hunted and pecked:
> Many years ago I made keyboard shortcuts for internet urls that I use
> frequently. (I made shortcuts, put them on the desktop and added a
> keyboard shortcut.)
>
> After I upgraded to Windows XP a few days ago, I copied these
> shortcuts to the Windows XP desktop but they do not work correctly in
> XP. Under 98 SE, I could type the shortcuts and my default browser
> would go to that url if the browser was open or not. Now the
> shortcuts only work if the browser is closed.
>
> How can I get these shortcuts to work in XP the same way they worked
> in 98 SE? Thank you in advance for all replies.
> --
> I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
> entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
> automobile entertain one's rear and would it be safe to drive while
> one's rear was being entertained.
June 21, 2004 4:42:17 AM

"Wesley Vogel" <123WVogel955@comcast.net> wrote:

>Right click the shortcut | Properties | Shortcut tab |
>[[With the cursor in the Shortcut key box, select the keyboard key you want
>to use in combination with CTRL+ALT. Shortcut keys automatically start with
>CTRL+ALT. The Shortcut key box will display None until you select the key
>and then the box will display Ctrl+Alt+the key you selected. You cannot use
>the ESC, ENTER, TAB, SPACEBAR, PRINT SCREEN, SHIFT, or BACKSPACE keys.]] |
>Apply | OK
>
>[[Once you assign a shortcut key combination for a specific program, you
>will not be able to use that key combination with other programs.]]

I already have the keyboard shortcut. It works when my default browser
is closed but not when it is already open. I get a message saying,
"There was a problem sending the command to the program."
--
I just heard a TV commercial about an automobile that has a rear
entertainment system. I immediately wondered exactly how would an
automobile entertain one's rear and would it be safe to drive while
one's rear was being entertained.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 5:12:26 AM

Error message "There was a problem sending the command to the program" while
using Search
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/ZoneAlarmError.htm

=================
I have no idea where I found this

[[There was a problem sending the command to the program

Try doing this,

You will lose all customizations in ZA

1. Go into the Overview Preferences tab and turn off the autostart.
2. Reboot into safe mode.
3. Go into the folder named internet logs (do a search if you don't know
where it lives it varies per OS).
4. Delete everything in that folder.
5. Empty the recycle bin.
6. Reboot into normal windows.