Your question

MSI 645 Max2-LRU BIOS CPU Vcore HACK

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • BIOS
  • CPUs
Last response: in Motherboards
July 24, 2002 11:44:08 PM

As you probably know, the crappy AMIBIOS that comes with the said board doesnt allow any CPU Vcore voltage that is over 1.6 Volts. Unfortunately, it would seem that I need about 1.65V for my 1.8A->2.4 O/C (thanks goes to crashman for the tip). VID pinning is a bit too advanced for me, plus I dont want to spoil the warranty - they couldnt tell if I changed the FSB or hacked the BIOS (that can be reversed), but I think VID pinning leaves its marks. plus you have to start from 1.7V using VID pinning and i think i need less. that being said, the only way for me to raise the voltage is to use a hacked BIOS version (Thanks goes to crashman for that idea too :smile: ) , which i dont have, and dont even know if exists. there is a custom BIOS for the 645 Ultra, however, but i dont know if it would work on my mobo, even though they both work on AMIBIOS 3.31a, because the BIOS versions seem a little different - for example, my board has onboard RAID so there is an option to enable/disable it in the BIOS, but the 645 Ultra doesnt have onboard RAID so there is no such option in its BIOS which suggests that the two BIOS versions arent COMPLETELY identical...

Anyways, My current BIOS can be found here:
http://download.msi.com.tw/support/bos_exe/6567v10.exe
so if any of you BIOS hackers have some spare time to hack it ... :wink:

Thanks in advance !

-------------------------
<font color=blue>Rest easy...
Venom is here</font color=blue>

More about : msi 645 max2 lru bios cpu vcore hack

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2002 12:37:46 AM

You can try asking the experts here! :eek:  <A HREF="http://forums.biosmods.com/forumdisplay.php?s=7633c3631..." target="_new">http://forums.biosmods.com/forumdisplay.php?s=7633c3631...;/A> :eek:  But you could easily add a small jumper wire to make it default to 1.60v, and raise it in BIOS from there! Just bend a VERY FINE wire into a U-shape and drop it into the holes. When you insert the CPU over the top, it will wedge the wire tightly against the pins for continuity. You'll want to download the Intel Datasheet for 1.4-2.0GHz socket 478 processors, you'll see that raising 1.50v to 1.60v detected voltage only requires wiring in VID2 to VSS.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2002 12:40:42 AM

Let me further explain. It's not AMI to blame, but MSI, who feels that you shouldn't have the ability to raise your core voltage by more than 0.1v. With a 1.5v detected voltage, you get a maximum of 1.60v. If you raise the detected voltage to 1.60v, you should get BIOS adjustments up to 1.70v.

<font color=blue>At least half of all problems are caused by an insufficient power supply!</font color=blue>
Related resources
July 25, 2002 1:22:48 AM

Okay thanks Crashman!
Though I think ill try the BIOS business first... see, I'm far from being a hardware expert.
Heck - I rarley even open my own case at home...
I dont know the first thing about installing or uninstalling a processor, let alone taking my entire system apart (which is practically what I need to do for comfortable VID pinning if I understand correctly). The most advanced hardware related operation I have ever made was plugging an old Video card into an old computer... LOL
of course, if all BIOS attempts fail, I guess ill have no choice but...
to call someone to do it for me !
Plan any trip to Israel soon, crashman ? :wink:

Venom is here</font color=blue><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Venom_IL on 07/25/02 04:23 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2002 1:27:51 AM

Hmm, if you look around hard enough you might just find a picture of the mod laying around. It's pretty simple actually, you look at the documentation from intel and locate the pin locations. Then you bend a fine piece of like this U and drop it in those pinholes that look like this : and when the wire is in place it will look like this I .

July 25, 2002 1:54:45 AM

wow, that was fast... :smile:
I have actually found a complete, detailed guide about this exact subject ( http://www.hexus.net/review.php?review=278 ) but as ive said, it requires the complete disassembly of my computer (followed by a reassembly :cool: ) which is aobve me for the time being...
but if all fails.. i guess thats what id do (well not necessarily ME, but you get the point :wink: )

Venom is here</font color=blue>
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
July 25, 2002 3:07:04 AM

Actually, that's the "Pin Wrapping" method and is harder than simply bending the wire to fit in the holes. And it doesn't give you the 1.60v setting. Wrapping or jumping VID3 only would give you 1.70v, 1.60v if you did Vid2 instead.

!