What is the diff between Cisco AIR-BR340 and AIR-BR342?

What is the difference between a Cisco AIR-BR340 and AIR-BR342? Are
they compatible? Will they talk?

Thanks!

On 29 Jul 2004 08:38:43 -0700, orders3@ecandm.com (Zafara) wrote:

>What is the difference between a Cisco AIR-BR340 and AIR-BR342? Are
>they compatible? Will they talk?

The BR340 is an access point wirelss bridge. Client radios connect to
it and it connects them to a LAN. Like most access points, it's
limited to bridging one MAC address per associated radio. Two BR340's
will not talk to each other (due to the lack of a common bridging
protocol).

The BR342 is a transparent point to point bridge. It's exactly the
same hardware but with different firmware. It's designed to connect
two networks togther over a wireless link and will bridge 253 MAC
addresses through another BR342. I think it will also do multipoint
transparent bridging, but I've always used them for point to point,
and have not had the time to try it with more than two BR342 radios.

In theory, that justifies why Cisco charges perhaps 4 times as much
for the BR342 as the BR340.

I'm not sure what will happen if you try to talk between a BR340 and a
BR342. I suspect it won't work, but I'm not sure.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 09:46:23 -0700, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:

>The BR342 is a transparent point to point bridge. It's exactly the
>same hardware but with different firmware. It's designed to connect
>two networks togther over a wireless link and will bridge 253 MAC
>addresses through another BR342. I think it will also do multipoint
>transparent bridging, but I've always used them for point to point,
>and have not had the time to try it with more than two BR342 radios.

I forgot to mention that the BR342 can also be configured as an access
point.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558