Want to Set Up Share Network

I have windows XP that has a wireless router attached to it that allows my
Win 98 to access the internet. Now I want the two computers to be able to
access each other....How do I accomplish this? Help is appreciated, in
advance.
-Susy

"Sylvia Simpson" <MandS1959@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have windows XP that has a wireless router attached to it that allows my
> Win 98 to access the internet. Now I want the two computers to be able to
> access each other....How do I accomplish this? Help is appreciated, in
> advance.
> -Susy

*instructions should somewhat differ on a 98 machine, but you should be able
to still handle this with ease.

Step one:

name both computers... to do so...
-open control panel
-double click system icon
-click the "Computer Name" tab
-name your computer
-if you don't have a workgroup name yet, click on the "change" button and
add one in.

Step two:

-click on start
-control panel
-double click "network connections"
-right click the "local area connection" icons
-select properties

Step three:

-click the install button
-select "protocol"
-choose "nwlink netbios"
-repeat and choose "nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol"
-highlight "nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol" and click
on the properties button
-ensure that "Frame Type" is set to "auto detect"
-do not worry about "internal network number"
-click ok
-click ok
-reboot if you requested

*if it request to make a network disk on a 3.5 diskette, then make one, you
might use it just ion case on the 98 machine.*
*repeat step one for other computer, and ensure both computers are on.*

Step four:

from the XP machine

-click on start
-click on search
-click on "search for computers"
-click on "A computer on the network"
*this will take some time, so grab a cookie and an ice cold ised tea and
enjoy the fun of home networking.
*also use the help section on the start menu in the taskbar to show you how
to share folders.

"HentaiPockyStick" <can'temailatthisaddres@.com> wrote in message
> "Sylvia Simpson" <MandS1959@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I have windows XP that has a wireless router attached to it that allows
my
> > Win 98 to access the internet. Now I want the two computers to be able
> > access each other....How do I accomplish this? Help is appreciated, in
> > advance.
> > -Susy
>
> *instructions should somewhat differ on a 98 machine, but you should be
able
> to still handle this with ease.
>
> Step one:
>
> name both computers... to do so...
> -open control panel
> -double click system icon
> -click the "Computer Name" tab
> -name your computer
> -if you don't have a workgroup name yet, click on the "change" button and
> add one in.
>
> Step two:
>
> -click on start
> -control panel
> -double click "network connections"
> -right click the "local area connection" icons
> -select properties
>
> Step three:
>
> -click the install button
> -select "protocol"
> -choose "nwlink netbios"
> -repeat and choose "nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol"
> -highlight "nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol" and
click
> on the properties button
> -ensure that "Frame Type" is set to "auto detect"
> -do not worry about "internal network number"
> -click ok
> -click ok
> -reboot if you requested
>
> *if it request to make a network disk on a 3.5 diskette, then make one,
you
> might use it just ion case on the 98 machine.*
> *repeat step one for other computer, and ensure both computers are on.*
>
> Step four:
>
> from the XP machine
>
> -click on start
> -click on search
> -click on "search for computers"
> -click on "A computer on the network"
> *this will take some time, so grab a cookie and an ice cold ised tea and
> enjoy the fun of home networking.
> *also use the help section on the start menu in the taskbar to show you
how
> to share folders.

Forgot to mention, when you search for a computer, don't forget to type the
name you gave the computer you are searching for.

why not use tcp/ip, it's much easier and better and also before you share
folders you need to enable file sharing.

--
Lee S
> "HentaiPockyStick" <can'temailatthisaddres@.com> wrote in message
>> "Sylvia Simpson" <MandS1959@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > I have windows XP that has a wireless router attached to it that allows
> my
>> > Win 98 to access the internet. Now I want the two computers to be able
>> > access each other....How do I accomplish this? Help is appreciated, in
>> > advance.
>> > -Susy
>>
>> *instructions should somewhat differ on a 98 machine, but you should be
> able
>> to still handle this with ease.
>>
>> Step one:
>>
>> name both computers... to do so...
>> -open control panel
>> -double click system icon
>> -click the "Computer Name" tab
>> -name your computer
>> -if you don't have a workgroup name yet, click on the "change" button and
>> add one in.
>>
>> Step two:
>>
>> -click on start
>> -control panel
>> -double click "network connections"
>> -right click the "local area connection" icons
>> -select properties
>>
>> Step three:
>>
>> -click the install button
>> -select "protocol"
>> -choose "nwlink netbios"
>> -repeat and choose "nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol"
>> -highlight "nwlink ipx/spx/netbios compatible transport protocol" and
> click
>> on the properties button
>> -ensure that "Frame Type" is set to "auto detect"
>> -do not worry about "internal network number"
>> -click ok
>> -click ok
>> -reboot if you requested
>>
>> *if it request to make a network disk on a 3.5 diskette, then make one,
> you
>> might use it just ion case on the 98 machine.*
>> *repeat step one for other computer, and ensure both computers are on.*
>>
>> Step four:
>>
>> from the XP machine
>>
>> -click on start
>> -click on search
>> -click on "search for computers"
>> -click on "A computer on the network"
>> *this will take some time, so grab a cookie and an ice cold ised tea and
>> enjoy the fun of home networking.
>> *also use the help section on the start menu in the taskbar to show you
> how
>> to share folders.
>

> Forgot to mention, when you search for a computer, don't forget to type
> the
> name you gave the computer you are searching for.

Tried the TCP/IP method... but it doesn't work for some stupid reason (not
me ofcourse) used instructions online, a couple of books and a couple of
manuals trying tcp/ip method.

But, using the nwlink ipx/spx/netbios method works... even with sharing
printer.

I just use TCP/IP method for internet, not lan.

TRENDING THREADS