Firewalls

I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the one than comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
Ms R
21 answers Last reply
More about firewalls

    Greetings --

    Well, WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better than nothing, but
    it's no substitute for a real firewall.

    WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
    alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
    working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
    does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
    someone else using your computer) might download and install
    inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
    than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
    about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
    any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
    it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
    Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
    that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
    spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    To enable/disable the built-in firewall, Start > Network
    Connections > Right-click the connection > Properties > Advanced >
    Protect my computer.....

    HOW TO Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283673

    If you're using AOL, MSN, NetZero, or another on-line content
    providing service that doesn't trust its customers to control their
    own computers and insists upon the installation of a proprietary
    connectoid, you'll either need to find a 3rd party firewall that is
    compatible with them, or switch to a real ISP that is compatible with
    the real Internet.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "MsRikishi" <MsRikishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the
    one than comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
    > Ms R

    You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
    However, you may wish use a third-party firewall for enhanced
    protection. If you do use a third-party firewall, you must disable the
    one in Windows XP or potential conflicts may arise.

    HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673&Product=winxp

    3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected

    Frequently Asked Questions About Antivirus Software
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/antivirus.asp

    HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673&Product=winxp

    Special note if you use AOL:

    America Online installs its own connection settings that override
    the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
    connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows XP's
    built-in firewall.

    Visit the following web site for instructions on downloading
    a FREE firewall program for your computer.

    Ref: http://www.updatexp.com/free.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    > You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.

    LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more prudent
    to get a firewall that works two ways!

    "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
    >
    > LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
    > prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!

    Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>> You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
    >>
    >> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
    >> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
    >
    > Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.

    Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the average user
    how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware onto their PCs,
    which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's firewall does not
    monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to recommend a reliable 3rd
    party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.

    I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only" capable of performing.

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
    >>> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
    >>
    >> Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.
    >
    > Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the average
    > user how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware onto
    > their PCs, which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's
    > firewall does not monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to
    > recommend a reliable 3rd party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.
    >
    > I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only" capable of
    > performing.

    So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound protection.

    --

    > "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

    >>> Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.
    >>
    >> Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the average
    >> user how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware onto
    >> their PCs, which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's
    >> firewall does not monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to
    >> recommend a reliable 3rd party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.
    >>
    >> I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only" capable of
    >> performing.
    >
    > So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound protection.

    Oh please, that is being too simplistic! Most people do not know safe PC
    operations, and if they did, these groups probably would never be needed.
    Some people go to websites and inadvertently get popups that put spyware on
    their PCs. Some were caused by MS not making their browsers and emails
    clients secure for the masses that use them.

    If you ever reply to someone asking for help to "keep your PC clean", I
    wouldn't feel badly if you got a worded lashing.

    Hi

    The XP Firewall monitors access to your PC from the Internet, but it does
    not monitor programs trying to access the Internet from your PC. You may
    like to install a '2-way' Firewall such as ZoneAlarm:

    www.zonelabs.com

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "MsRikishi" <MsRikishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    | I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the one than
    comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
    | Ms R

    I just installed the zone alarm firewall and it is pretty easy to configure and use. I did not find that to be the case with norton's firewall at all.

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    >>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

    >>> Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the
    >>> average user how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading
    >>> spyware onto their PCs, which then can call out to their evil
    >>> sources. XP's firewall does not monitor that. He is the only MVP I
    >>> have seen NOT to recommend a reliable 3rd party firewall, I hope
    >>> you don't do the same. I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is
    >>> "only" capable of
    >>> performing.
    >>
    >> So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound
    >> protection.
    >
    > Oh please, that is being too simplistic! Most people do not know safe
    > PC operations, and if they did, these groups probably would never be
    > needed. Some people go to websites and inadvertently get popups that
    > put spyware on their PCs. Some were caused by MS not making their
    > browsers and emails clients secure for the masses that use them.
    >
    > If you ever reply to someone asking for help to "keep your PC clean",
    > I wouldn't feel badly if you got a worded lashing.

    Come on.
    I'm looking for information, not flames. Firewalls are not one of the
    things I know much about. If you'd rather take that approach than give
    information, then maybe you don't know much either. I know I need an
    "incoming" firewall. Other than that you did not help me at all.

    PS: What does 'worded' mean? I thought I knew English fairly well.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Hi Frank,

    The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
    virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    > Hi Frank,
    >
    > The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
    > virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)

    In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound.

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    Greetings --

    True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic does help catch
    any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that are
    recognized by last weeks virus definitions.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    > In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need
    out-bound.

    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Oops! That should have read ".... are _not_ recognized ..."

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic does help
    catch
    > any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that are
    > recognized by last weeks virus definitions.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I reckon.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:eDeDMIyVEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >> Hi Frank,
    >>
    >> The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
    >> virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)
    >
    > In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need
    > out-bound.
    >
    > --
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > Protect your PC
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    > I reckon.
    >
    > In news:eDeDMIyVEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
    > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
    >>> Hi Frank,
    >>>
    >>> The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
    >>> virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)
    >>
    >> In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need
    >> out-bound.

    Thanks <G>
    Given my most frequent post I obviously know that many, many users don't
    know how to keep their machines clean. I think I do.
    E.g., my antivirus has never warned me except about files I intentionally
    submitted to it. (it didn't always recognize those, although I had).

    --
    Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    http://www.fjsmjs.com

    "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    > "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >>> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

    >>> So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound
    >>> protection.
    >>
    >> Oh please, that is being too simplistic! Most people do not know safe
    >> PC operations, and if they did, these groups probably would never be
    >> needed. Some people go to websites and inadvertently get popups that
    >> put spyware on their PCs. Some were caused by MS not making their
    >> browsers and emails clients secure for the masses that use them.
    >>
    >> If you ever reply to someone asking for help to "keep your PC clean",
    >> I wouldn't feel badly if you got a worded lashing.
    >
    > Come on.
    > I'm looking for information, not flames. Firewalls are not one of the
    > things I know much about. If you'd rather take that approach than give
    > information, then maybe you don't know much either. I know I need an
    > "incoming" firewall. Other than that you did not help me at all.

    Well, you should have asked about firewalls. When you say you didn't feel
    having the need for a another type of firewall, other than the firewall that
    XP provided, was indicative of some experience, rather than just hearing the
    term and saying it is OK. Also, you have the MVP initials after your name,
    so maybe I assume too much from that. Just ask what it is, but I am sure you
    have the wherewithal to find the info on the WWW.

    > PS: What does 'worded' mean? I thought I knew English fairly well.

    word·ed [wúrd?d]
    adj

    - expressed specifically: expressed in words, especially in a particular way
    a carefully worded reply

    Be resourceful, look words up, if you say you know English "fairly" well!
  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

    > "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in
    message
    > > You really only need to use the firewall that comes with
    Windows XP.

    > LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others
    it is more prudent
    > to get a firewall that works two ways!

    Really Tom, get off the spiel that you know the only answer
    in the universe, and respond to questions so that you quit
    confusing posters with your little quips. Actually, in
    cases like this, just quit responding and go find someone
    with a question you actually know reasonable answers for.
    Pop
  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    message
    > > "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
    > >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote
    in message

    > >> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell
    others it is more
    > >> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
    > >
    > > Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did
    understand that.

    > Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to
    the average user
    > how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware
    onto their PCs,
    > which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's
    firewall does not
    > monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to
    recommend a reliable 3rd
    > party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.
    >
    > I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only"
    capable of performing.

    And I woujld suggest that Tom think carefully about what he
    says and the normal progression of things for newbies
    instead of working so hard to confuse them with facts that
    you are so proud to know. Education is a progressive thing;
    not usually affected with shame and confusion as you like to
    present.
    Pop
  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in
    message news:eoGpnlzVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > Greetings --
    >
    > True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic
    does help catch
    > any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that
    are
    > recognized by last weeks virus definitions.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    message

    > > In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't
    need
    > out-bound.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    > > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    > > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    > > Protect your PC
    > > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

    Plus from that "old" floppy, the freind's CD, special cons,
    etc. etc.. Unfortunately there are quite a few
    possibilities but newbies don't usually run into them too
    often. But, IMO, it IS worth mentioning about 3rd party
    firewalls giving the extra protection, but you still need
    anti-spy and the like, but it needs to be stated sensibly
    and with credit.

    JMO
    Pop
  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    "Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message

    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in
    > message news:eoGpnlzVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    >> Greetings --
    >>
    >> True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic
    > does help catch
    >> any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that
    > are
    >> recognized by last weeks virus definitions.
    >>
    >> Bruce Chambers
    >> --
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
    > count on
    >> having both at once. - RAH
    >>

    >> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
    > message
    >> >
    >> > In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't
    > need
    >> out-bound.
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
    >> > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
    >> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
    >> > Protect your PC
    >> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
    >> >

    > Plus from that "old" floppy, the freind's CD, special cons,
    > etc. etc.. Unfortunately there are quite a few
    > possibilities but newbies don't usually run into them too
    > often. But, IMO, it IS worth mentioning about 3rd party
    > firewalls giving the extra protection, but you still need
    > anti-spy and the like, but it needs to be stated sensibly
    > and with credit.

    LOL, you don't know which way you're going, do you?

    Is is 3rd party firewall or not? Keep the ad nauseam to yourself!

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP