Firewalls

June 20, 2004 4:32:01 PM

I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the one than comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
Ms R

More about : firewalls

Anonymous
June 20, 2004 5:44:37 PM

Greetings --

Well, WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better than nothing, but
it's no substitute for a real firewall.

WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
someone else using your computer) might download and install
inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

To enable/disable the built-in firewall, Start > Network
Connections > Right-click the connection > Properties > Advanced >
Protect my computer.....

HOW TO Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283673

If you're using AOL, MSN, NetZero, or another on-line content
providing service that doesn't trust its customers to control their
own computers and insists upon the installation of a proprietary
connectoid, you'll either need to find a 3rd party firewall that is
compatible with them, or switch to a real ISP that is compatible with
the real Internet.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"MsRikishi" <MsRikishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the
one than comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
> Ms R
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 6:44:05 PM

You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
However, you may wish use a third-party firewall for enhanced
protection. If you do use a third-party firewall, you must disable the
one in Windows XP or potential conflicts may arise.

HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673&Product=winxp

3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected

Frequently Asked Questions About Antivirus Software
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/antivirus.asp

HOW TO: Enable or Disable Internet Connection Firewall in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;283673&Product=winxp

Special note if you use AOL:

America Online installs its own connection settings that override
the ones that come with Windows XP. America Online's
connection settings don't include a way to turn on Windows XP's
built-in firewall.

Visit the following web site for instructions on downloading
a FREE firewall program for your computer.

Ref: http://www.updatexp.com/free.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"MsRikishi" <MsRikishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

|I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the one than comes with the XP. --What do
others do? Thanks,
| Ms R
Related resources
June 20, 2004 9:50:33 PM

"Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
> You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.

LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more prudent
to get a firewall that works two ways!
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 9:50:34 PM

"Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>> You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
>
> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!

Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
> news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
>>
>> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
>> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
>
> Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.

Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the average user
how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware onto their PCs,
which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's firewall does not
monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to recommend a reliable 3rd
party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.

I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only" capable of performing.
Anonymous
June 20, 2004 10:56:50 PM

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
>> news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
>>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
>>> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
>>
>> Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.
>
> Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the average
> user how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware onto
> their PCs, which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's
> firewall does not monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to
> recommend a reliable 3rd party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.
>
> I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only" capable of
> performing.

So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound protection.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
>>> news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl

>>> Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.
>>
>> Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the average
>> user how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware onto
>> their PCs, which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's
>> firewall does not monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to
>> recommend a reliable 3rd party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.
>>
>> I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only" capable of
>> performing.
>
> So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound protection.

Oh please, that is being too simplistic! Most people do not know safe PC
operations, and if they did, these groups probably would never be needed.
Some people go to websites and inadvertently get popups that put spyware on
their PCs. Some were caused by MS not making their browsers and emails
clients secure for the masses that use them.

If you ever reply to someone asking for help to "keep your PC clean", I
wouldn't feel badly if you got a worded lashing.
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 12:46:04 AM

Hi

The XP Firewall monitors access to your PC from the Internet, but it does
not monitor programs trying to access the Internet from your PC. You may
like to install a '2-way' Firewall such as ZoneAlarm:

www.zonelabs.com

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

"MsRikishi" <MsRikishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the one than
comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
| Ms R
Anonymous
June 21, 2004 12:46:05 AM

I just installed the zone alarm firewall and it is pretty easy to configure and use. I did not find that to be the case with norton's firewall at all.

"Will Denny" wrote:

> Hi
>
> The XP Firewall monitors access to your PC from the Internet, but it does
> not monitor programs trying to access the Internet from your PC. You may
> like to install a '2-way' Firewall such as ZoneAlarm:
>
> www.zonelabs.com
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "MsRikishi" <MsRikishi@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> | I am new to XP and some people say we need another firewall + the one than
> comes with the XP. --What do others do? Thanks,
> | Ms R

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 1:16:49 AM

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
>>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

>>> Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to the
>>> average user how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading
>>> spyware onto their PCs, which then can call out to their evil
>>> sources. XP's firewall does not monitor that. He is the only MVP I
>>> have seen NOT to recommend a reliable 3rd party firewall, I hope
>>> you don't do the same. I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is
>>> "only" capable of
>>> performing.
>>
>> So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound
>> protection.
>
> Oh please, that is being too simplistic! Most people do not know safe
> PC operations, and if they did, these groups probably would never be
> needed. Some people go to websites and inadvertently get popups that
> put spyware on their PCs. Some were caused by MS not making their
> browsers and emails clients secure for the masses that use them.
>
> If you ever reply to someone asking for help to "keep your PC clean",
> I wouldn't feel badly if you got a worded lashing.

Come on.
I'm looking for information, not flames. Firewalls are not one of the
things I know much about. If you'd rather take that approach than give
information, then maybe you don't know much either. I know I need an
"incoming" firewall. Other than that you did not help me at all.

PS: What does 'worded' mean? I thought I knew English fairly well.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Hi Frank,

The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes
"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message

> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
> news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
>> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in message
>>> You really only need to use the firewall that comes with Windows XP.
>>
>> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others it is more
>> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
>
> Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did understand that.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
June 21, 2004 2:25:13 AM

> Hi Frank,
>
> The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
> virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)

In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound.

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

Greetings --

True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic does help catch
any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that are
recognized by last weeks virus definitions.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

> In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need
out-bound.

> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC

June 21, 2004 2:25:15 AM

Greetings --

Oops! That should have read ".... are _not_ recognized ..."

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> Greetings --
>
> True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic does help
catch
> any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that are
> recognized by last weeks virus definitions.

Anonymous
June 21, 2004 5:13:37 AM

I reckon.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:eDeDMIyVEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>> Hi Frank,
>>
>> The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
>> virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)
>
> In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need
> out-bound.
>
> --
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> http://www.fjsmjs.com
> Protect your PC
June 21, 2004 5:13:38 AM

> I reckon.
>
> In news:eDeDMIyVEHA.3596@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl,
> Frank Saunders, MS-MVP <franksaunders@mvps.org> hunted and pecked:
>>> Hi Frank,
>>>
>>> The outbound monitoring is so you can see what your
>>> virii and spyware/adware/malware/scumware are doing. ;-)
>>
>> In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't need
>> out-bound.

Thanks <G>
Given my most frequent post I obviously know that many, many users don't
know how to keep their machines clean. I think I do.
E.g., my antivirus has never warned me except about files I intentionally
submitted to it. (it didn't always recognize those, although I had).

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com

"Frank Saunders, MS-MVP IE/OE" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in message
>>> "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

>>> So, if you keep your machine clean you don't need out-bound
>>> protection.
>>
>> Oh please, that is being too simplistic! Most people do not know safe
>> PC operations, and if they did, these groups probably would never be
>> needed. Some people go to websites and inadvertently get popups that
>> put spyware on their PCs. Some were caused by MS not making their
>> browsers and emails clients secure for the masses that use them.
>>
>> If you ever reply to someone asking for help to "keep your PC clean",
>> I wouldn't feel badly if you got a worded lashing.
>
> Come on.
> I'm looking for information, not flames. Firewalls are not one of the
> things I know much about. If you'd rather take that approach than give
> information, then maybe you don't know much either. I know I need an
> "incoming" firewall. Other than that you did not help me at all.

Well, you should have asked about firewalls. When you say you didn't feel
having the need for a another type of firewall, other than the firewall that
XP provided, was indicative of some experience, rather than just hearing the
term and saying it is OK. Also, you have the MVP initials after your name,
so maybe I assume too much from that. Just ask what it is, but I am sure you
have the wherewithal to find the info on the WWW.

> PS: What does 'worded' mean? I thought I knew English fairly well.

word·ed [wúrd?d]
adj

- expressed specifically: expressed in words, especially in a particular way
a carefully worded reply

Be resourceful, look words up, if you say you know English "fairly" well!
June 24, 2004 6:27:13 PM

"Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...

> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote in
message
> > You really only need to use the firewall that comes with
Windows XP.

> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell others
it is more prudent
> to get a firewall that works two ways!

Really Tom, get off the spiel that you know the only answer
in the universe, and respond to questions so that you quit
confusing posters with your little quips. Actually, in
cases like this, just quit responding and go find someone
with a question you actually know reasonable answers for.
Pop
June 24, 2004 6:29:51 PM

"Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
message
> > "Tom" <no-way@not-here.com> wrote in message
> > news:o IKufCxVEHA.1764@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
> >> "Carey Frisch [MVP]" <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> wrote
in message
with Windows XP.

> >> LOL! Really Carey, get off the MS spiel, and tell
others it is more
> >> prudent to get a firewall that works two ways!
> >
> > Why do you need one that works both ways? Never did
understand that.

> Because the Carey MVPs are not savvy enough to explain to
the average user
> how to PREVENT from unintentionally downloading spyware
onto their PCs,
> which then can call out to their evil sources. XP's
firewall does not
> monitor that. He is the only MVP I have seen NOT to
recommend a reliable 3rd
> party firewall, I hope you don't do the same.
>
> I would suggest you read what XP's firewall is "only"
capable of performing.

And I woujld suggest that Tom think carefully about what he
says and the normal progression of things for newbies
instead of working so hard to confuse them with facts that
you are so proud to know. Education is a progressive thing;
not usually affected with shame and confusion as you like to
present.
Pop
June 24, 2004 6:57:39 PM

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in
message news:eoGpnlzVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> Greetings --
>
> True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic
does help catch
> any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that
are
> recognized by last weeks virus definitions.
>
> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
message

> > In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't
need
> out-bound.
> >
> > --
> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
> > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
> > Protect your PC
> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

Plus from that "old" floppy, the freind's CD, special cons,
etc. etc.. Unfortunately there are quite a few
possibilities but newbies don't usually run into them too
often. But, IMO, it IS worth mentioning about 3rd party
firewalls giving the extra protection, but you still need
anti-spy and the like, but it needs to be stated sensibly
and with credit.

JMO
Pop
June 24, 2004 8:13:03 PM

"Pop" <nobody@spamcop.net> wrote in message

> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in
> message news:eoGpnlzVEHA.2844@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
>> Greetings --
>>
>> True, in theory. But monitoring out-bound traffic
> does help catch
>> any nasties that do slip through; particularly those that
> are
>> recognized by last weeks virus definitions.
>>
>> Bruce Chambers
>> --
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever
> count on
>> having both at once. - RAH
>>

>> "Frank Saunders, MS-MVP" <franksaunders@mvps.org> wrote in
> message
>> >
>> > In other words, if you keep your machine clean you don't
> need
>> out-bound.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
>> > Please respond in Newsgroup. Do not send email
>> > http://www.fjsmjs.com
>> > Protect your PC
>> > http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/
>> >

> Plus from that "old" floppy, the freind's CD, special cons,
> etc. etc.. Unfortunately there are quite a few
> possibilities but newbies don't usually run into them too
> often. But, IMO, it IS worth mentioning about 3rd party
> firewalls giving the extra protection, but you still need
> anti-spy and the like, but it needs to be stated sensibly
> and with credit.

LOL, you don't know which way you're going, do you?

Is is 3rd party firewall or not? Keep the ad nauseam to yourself!
!