Inserting Unicode characters

dick

I been trying to insert a down arrow in my E-mail's using the Unicode number
which is 2193. I hold down the alt key an type 2193 a special character
displays (ae) not the arrow. What am I doing wrong???

2193 is not one that you can type. It doesn't show the key combo
in the bar at the bottom of Character Map.

[[You can copy individual characters or a group of characters to the
Clipboard and paste them into any program that can display them. Or,
depending on the program you are using (such as WordPad), you can even copy
characters by dragging them from Character Map directly into an open
document.]]

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:T6mdncYHFIQGl0vdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
Dick <Smok10a@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
> I been trying to insert a down arrow in my E-mail's using the Unicode
> number which is 2193. I hold down the alt key an type 2193 a special
> character displays (ae) not the arrow. What am I doing wrong???

dick

Thanks for your response.
I tried your suggestion and it did work. It is quite cumbersome to get to
the character map and then drag it over.
How do you know which Unicode's are typeable?
> 2193 is not one that you can type. It doesn't show the key combo
> in the bar at the bottom of Character Map.
>
> [[You can copy individual characters or a group of characters to the
> Clipboard and paste them into any program that can display them. Or,
> depending on the program you are using (such as WordPad), you can even
copy
> characters by dragging them from Character Map directly into an open
> document.]]
>
> --
> Hope this helps. Let us know.
> Wes
>
> In news:T6mdncYHFIQGl0vdRVn-sA@comcast.com,
> Dick <Smok10a@netscape.net> hunted and pecked:
> > I been trying to insert a down arrow in my E-mail's using the Unicode
> > number which is 2193. I hold down the alt key an type 2193 a special
> > character displays (ae) not the arrow. What am I doing wrong???

Dick,

If you're gonna use Character Map often, create a shortcut.
This'll put one on the Desktop.....
Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Right click:
Character Map | Send To | Desktop (create shortcut)

Or you can open Character Map by.........
Start | Run | Type: charmap | OK

To tell about the keystroke.....
Open Character Map | Change Font to: Tahoma | Click the Copyright symbol © |
Down at the bottom of Character Map, on the right hand side you will see
Keystroke: Alt+0169 I had you change the font only so we would be on the
same page, so to speak. :)

I use a bunch that I know the key combo from a lot of use.
? © ® ¼ º for example.

I also did a bunch of symbols and their keystrokes in Notepad and printed
them out for my reference.

Another tip:
Click the Help button. Also click related topics.

--
Hope this helps. Let us know.
Wes

In news:7_KdnXFnu_0Yi0vd4p2dnA@comcast.com,

"Dick" <Smok10a@netscape.net> wrote in message
> I been trying to insert a down arrow in my E-mail's using the Unicode
number
> which is 2193. I hold down the alt key an type 2193 a special character
> displays (ae) not the arrow. What am I doing wrong???

In Microsoft Word 2003 and Outlook 2003 {using HTML format for email}, you
type the number {2193} and then press Alt-X. The number will be converted
into the down arrow. Either the numeric keyboard or regular keyboard
numbers will work.

The procedure does not work in Outlook Express text format that I am using
for this post. Not tried it in Outlook Express HTML format email.

Don