Ambilight gaming

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I read this brief from CES 2007 on TG Daily and think it sounds pretty cool.

However, what struck us most was the next demo, a full-room presentation of home theater speakers and shifting colored overhead lights, which were all in sync with a video game demo on a giant Ambilight TV. This was an exaggerated example of what is in store for the future of Philips' ambient technology, including the AmBX gaming surround sound system, which has a subwoofer and a pair of speakers that have embedded lights, which can be programmed into the game's code to flash lights of up 16 million different colors in sync with the action in the game.

It could really open up the gaming experience. By giving signals that would alert a player of dangers that are outside of the field of view, for example. Maybe even create a periphery experience that tricks the brain into seeing a much larger screen/enviroment. Or maybe it's just a gimmick.

Some more info:
The left and right satellite lights will change color and intensity in the context of what's happening onscreen. The lights themselves are capable of representing 16 million different colors and the high-performance RGB LED are designed to replicate, for example, explosions with intense flashing red lights or the dim ambient light of a fireside.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Meh, sounds gimmicky. It might work well for some people, but my place is too busy and trafficky to really support something like that. I need to be able to isolate what is going on in a particular game, not bother everyone else with it. Also satellite speakers that go behind the chair are hard enough to find places for, finding places for lights too? Nah, too much bother.

Its an interesting idea, but it just isn't practical for my home gaming LAN.

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I need to be able to isolate what is going on in a particular game, not bother everyone else with it.

Sounds like you need an amazing new and improved ambi-dome gaming helmet with 7 point surround(caution: subwoofer may cause concussion). :lol:

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
I've had the opportunity to try it out, and it was pretty cool. It does take some redesigning of your gaming room for the maximum effect though.

In addition to that, a "rumbling" chair (same effect as when playing race carts in the arcade hall) in combination with full surround sound and ambilight is quite good for shock effects.

Apple_Fritters

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2006
I like the concept alot. It seems like a simple thing that could multiply the effects of the game experience. For example, you're walking through the jungle and it's dark; then you come to a clearing, step out of the shadows, and the whole room gets brighter. Or a street/alley with tall buildings on both sides, the sun illuminates the buildings on the right and shades the buildings on the left. By mimicking the in-game lighting, it would bring the game into your living room.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
By mimicking the in-game lighting, it would bring the game into your living room.

Be aware that it will also get you to remove any day light out of your living room (or you could go nocturnal).

Yep - the biggest problem I see is having to be a troll (or a vampire) to get the full benefit of the technology.

insan3

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2007
You would have to be in a completely dark-colored room probably.

I seen an awesome article in Popular Science about ambilight gaming. They had a whole flight simulator setup with a 42" plasma with ambilight. It looked absolutely INSANE!
too bad we all aren't millionares

Pygmollion

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
16 million different colors programmed to shift to the action of the game?? :eek: That would totally rock!... I am hard of hearing and I do hear the game sounds in the demo of BF 2142.. I play a lot of FPS games .. DOOM3, HL2, F.E.A.R, etc etc. I really hate being totally had in multiplayer games cause I couldn't pick out what direction enemy fire was coming from... IMO for me it would rock! :)