campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
I bought my MSI K7N420 Pro last week, assembled my system and all was well. After leaving it running overnight, I switched it off before going to work the next morning. (Having shutdown, restarted several times).

When I tried to power up the system that night, nothing happened - no fans, nothing. I checked the atx switch and power connectors, etc....anyway, to cut a long story short, I can get the computer to work by shorting pins 14 & 15 on the power supply (in effect, the same as the board does when the button on fron on case is pushed).

My question is : Have I done something stupid (either in the bios or jumpers) that now prevents the atx "on" switch from working - or is it likely my board has developed a fault?

Campbell...

campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
I did try using the reset switch in place of the main on button - as far as i understand, it is simply a open/close push switch - but this still had no effect. I will try another switch from my other atx case though and see if this helps.

Campbell...

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
have you tried another powersupply? And make sure that your jumpers are 100% right ... i had a problem with an MIS board where the speaker jumper was mislabled in the diagram, and it wound up locking up my system after 20 minutes of use.

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller.

campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
My new power supply just arrived today, so I will try this out this evening. I was waiting until this arrived before deciding whether to send the motherboard back or make my own switch for pins 14 & 15 on the atx power lead (maybe not the best idea...).

Campbell...

campbellcopeland

Distinguished
May 15, 2002
Popped in my new power supply last night, and it worked no problems. Looks like the 5V standby on the old Compaq ATX power supply I had "aquired" previously was fecked...

Campbell...