Via kt333 boards- opinions requested.

eoNbluE

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Okay, there is a 99.9% chance that I will be replacing my GA-7VRXP board, and I was looking at via kt333 chipsets- especially the soyo, abit, and asus board. Any suggestions? Basically, I don't want to repeat the giga-nightmare- I want my games to look pretty and my computer to be happy. Any posts with suggestions would make me happy.

p.s.- thanks to all those who helped me out with my problems, I was impressed by the friendliness of this forum.

Dan

The ability to figure things out for your self is an invaluable talent.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
I'd probably go with one of the newer chipsets due to be out in the next few months, SIS for example.

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
I could slighty agree, for some reason i dont like the SIS chipset thought. Alteast if you wait youll see s ome price competion on the VIA's

-Tim

It seems that every time I reboot my wallet gets smaller.

Croaker

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
PCcashCow

Why don't you like SIS.
The 735 & 745 are far more stable than any chipset from VIA. They also cost less. I will give you that VIA may be a little faster in some benchmarks but I will trade a little speed for a stable rig.

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
yeah thats was my point O/C stabilty . SIS chipsets tend to complain alot. But you are right.

scottsanders

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
I haven't seen any problems with other VIA chipset boards, and I am looking at an MSI KT3 ARU for a replacement for my RXP. The ARU has USB 2.0 and RAID and is only missing the onboard LAN that the RXP had. That said, I'm waiting to get the MSI because I want to see if the 2.0 revision of the RXP fixes it's problems, because I really liked the RXP board. I was looking at the Abit AT7 board, but I'm not ready to totally get rid of legacy ports, so that left me with the MSI board. I hope this helps.

eoNbluE

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Thanks to everyone for responding. Here's another quick question- The soyo dragon board seems like a winner, but I haven't heard (read?) a lot about it in this forum. Any one have any comments on its performance/stability? I was looking at this board because it has a lot of features, plus it is all snazzy lookin' for my case window (yes, I know that's shallow.)

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
One of my rigs is a Soyo Dragon Ultra Platinum.
Its an awsome lookn board with a ton of extras. The PCB shows up cool in my window. Depending on which version you get you can get the Sigma Box (SB-K7VXBP) Combination Compact Flash/Smart Media reader/writer & two front USB 2.0 ports. Plus Raid Mega O/C i have my 1900+ up to a 2100+
There are 2 more usb 2.0 in the back awsome onboard audio.

I cannot complain. Even the 1mhz stepping is cool

-Tim

eoNbluE

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Clearly, the MOST important part of the soyo board is it's name- DRAGON! "What kinda system are you running?" "oh, y'know... amd..gf3... and a soyo-DRAGON!!!" "whoa! You have a ....DRAGON? whoa."

I rest my case.

cableguy22

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I just sent back my crappy Gigabyte and got ABIT, so far it's been very stable and I like it... lack of serial and parallel ports doesn't bother me because I never use them anyway. I was going to get Soyo, but I read somewhere in the forum problems with their tech support and that they even charge you for "free warranty".

PCcashCow

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2002
yeah the free techsupport onlyu works with over the phone junk. when you send the board in they are really charging you for a re-stoking fee which sux. but most companies do that anyway

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
get a epox 8k3a+
lacks a couple of features (big deal), but super fast and stable as a brick.

Asteroid 2002 NV7: The <b>REAL</b> solution to the Israel/Palistine problem!

GBR

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2002
If your vendor will swap your GA-7VRXP v1.1 for a v2.0 you might find the v2.0 is an excellent all purpose board.

Probably the best set of features and a good performer.

If you are planning to OC and want to hit 166Mhz + FSB look at the MSI, Epox, and Abit KT333 boards.

If you can stand it....wait for the nForce2 and KT400 boards and get some real performance for a reasonable increase in price.