Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Supreme Commander

Last response: in Video Games
Share
January 9, 2007 9:13:18 AM

With this game so close to release I cant understand how there isn't a thread dedicated to the almost certainly brilliant Supreme Commander!

Has anyone been playing the beta? I have been having a few games of TA recently, just because its still brilliant even after 10 years! Man, I think that has to be the only game thats 10 years old that I still play, so far ahead of its time (except the AI lol)

Im buying a new PC almost exclusively for SupCom, as it has become known, but will my 3ghz p4, x800xtpe and 1gb Ram run it ok so me and my bro can play multliplayer?

anyone else watched the trailer over a dozen times?

More about : supreme commander

January 9, 2007 1:09:45 PM

I have no idea what you're talking about but I'm intrigued. Work blocks 99% of game related stuff so I'll check it out later.
January 9, 2007 2:27:31 PM

Booo! Down with work go to gamespot.com and check out "Supreme Commander Official Trailer 1" - posted on 7th May! Well exciting!!!

Considering how many people chat about graphics cards its a wonder this forum isnt more active!
Related resources
January 9, 2007 2:32:13 PM

GFX card guys are super nerds :p  They aren't interested in playing games. I'm pretty sure they buy the most expensive card and sit and stare at it.
January 9, 2007 5:55:09 PM

Quote:
GFX card guys are super nerds :p  They aren't interested in playing games. I'm pretty sure they buy the most expensive card and sit and stare at it.

LOL !! I am sure that is all we nerds do. Isn't that a great investment.
January 10, 2007 8:53:38 AM

I buy the best I can but I was talking about the fact that the GFX forum is filled with posts daily but the spin off games forum is always relatively quiet. My conclusion is that everyone in the GFX card forum don't actually play games. They just sit there running 3dmark everynight just so they can remind themselves how great their card is :) 
January 10, 2007 9:07:44 AM

Yeah that is true. I found that kind of weird too. Well i play games and thats why i am here as well. :) 
January 10, 2007 11:29:01 AM

Lol, yeah, its almost certain that 3d mark is the favourite geek game

Back to the topic - have you all done your homework and checked out the Supreme Commander trailer yet?
January 10, 2007 12:37:54 PM

Quote:
Lol, yeah, its almost certain that 3d mark is the favourite geek game

Back to the topic - have you all done your homework and checked out the Supreme Commander trailer yet?


I am in the beta so i don't have to look at trailers. It is going to be an awesome game with a steep learning curve.
January 10, 2007 3:12:30 PM

Quote:
GFX card guys are super nerds :p  They aren't interested in playing games. I'm pretty sure they buy the most expensive card and sit and stare at it.


Personally, I buy decent hardware then buy expensive collector's edition games and sit and stare at them. :wink:
January 10, 2007 4:12:20 PM

Quote:
Lol, yeah, its almost certain that 3d mark is the favourite geek game

Back to the topic - have you all done your homework and checked out the Supreme Commander trailer yet?


I am in the beta so i don't have to look at trailers. It is going to be an awesome game with a steep learning curve.


Ooooh tell all, I seriously cant get enough of Supcom, TA is like game equivalent to that first album you fell in love with!

Steep learning curve? TA was so easy!
January 10, 2007 6:02:18 PM

Watched the trailer.

Shrugs

Seen one RTS seen em all.
January 11, 2007 12:14:22 AM

I played the BETA alot during the holiday season. I love it. What needs to be worked on, and I hope is addresed, is the pathfinding.. It seems like units get stuck on corners, and cant seem to attack in an orderly fashion.

Other then that, its an awesome RTS. And it seems it will certainly beat CnC3 as EA seems to have taken a pretty gay route with that game.

If SUPCOM has a good singleplayer ill probably buy it.

Quote:
With this game so close to release I cant understand how there isn't a thread dedicated to the almost certainly brilliant Supreme Commander!

Has anyone been playing the beta? I have been having a few games of TA recently, just because its still brilliant even after 10 years! Man, I think that has to be the only game thats 10 years old that I still play, so far ahead of its time (except the AI lol)

Im buying a new PC almost exclusively for SupCom, as it has become known, but will my 3ghz p4, x800xtpe and 1gb Ram run it ok so me and my bro can play multliplayer?

anyone else watched the trailer over a dozen times?
January 11, 2007 2:17:26 PM

I found this video on Gamespot, and i think it is pretty well present what the game is all about. The online part anyways.

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/strategy/supremecommander/video_player.html?id=cHNglzWt5bgFvz7a

As for the beta i found it a bit hard to learn all the thinks you should be doing and stuff but that is just me. It was also a little slow on my 8800GTX video card. They said that Vista and DX10 will fix all that. Otherwise the game is a blast, and i am definietly going to get it because it will be a classic for sure. For me this game blows C&C out of the water.
January 11, 2007 8:33:34 PM

Quote:
I played the BETA alot during the holiday season. I love it. What needs to be worked on, and I hope is addresed, is the pathfinding.. It seems like units get stuck on corners, and cant seem to attack in an orderly fashion.

Other then that, its an awesome RTS. And it seems it will certainly beat CnC3 as EA seems to have taken a pretty gay route with that game.

If SUPCOM has a good singleplayer ill probably buy it.


That doesnt suprise me, T.A had bad pathfinding issues especially with boats, but it does sound like something that Beta testing is designed to fix, I cant imagine them releasing the game with that being an issue again.

No question it will be better than C&C, I have the feeling that after playing SupCom with the zoom function we will have trouble going back to the limited zoom of traditional RTS's even C.O.H. Plus, I prefer the Red Alert/Generals rather than the GDI/NOD universe when it comes to C&C.

To Krisz: Yeah, no doubt T.A was a fast game (are you young btw? If so you may not remember T.A too well, was released 10 years ago!), and a little overwhelming, but once you get the hang of it the pace is the best thing about it. In regards to it being slow on your 8800GTX, that is probably down to a combination of things, 1. the game is unoptimised as it is still in Beta phase, like you say, and 2. RTS's are heavily CPU dependent (at least compared to other genres) because of the AI routines the game has to run, and that maybe part of the problem, in any case its not gonna be your GTX. My next rig will be built entirely around running SupCom with all the eye candy on, roll on July!
January 11, 2007 8:41:12 PM

Well my rig is an AMD Athlon X2 4600 dual core with 2Gig or dual chanel ram. I am not sure why it is slow but i would think it is a graphics issue because it slows down when there is a lot going on on the screen. Like i said i think DX10 will fix that problem. One of the features in DX10 is that it can multiply units on your screen without re render every single one of them, so that alone will give the game a nice boost in performance.

As for my age i am not that young i do remember TA i played it all the way through, hell i even played a ton of Dune if you remember that one.
I started computer gaming back at the age when DOS games were around, one of my big favorites were Prince of Persia and Another World.

I am 30 by the way :) 
January 12, 2007 11:05:33 AM

Quote:
Well my rig is an AMD Athlon X2 4600 dual core with 2Gig or dual chanel ram. I am not sure why it is slow but i would think it is a graphics issue because it slows down when there is a lot going on on the screen. Like i said i think DX10 will fix that problem. One of the features in DX10 is that it can multiply units on your screen without re render every single one of them, so that alone will give the game a nice boost in performance.

As for my age i am not that young i do remember TA i played it all the way through, hell i even played a ton of Dune if you remember that one.
I started computer gaming back at the age when DOS games were around, one of my big favorites were Prince of Persia and Another World.

I am 30 by the way :) 



Ha ha, lol you outrank me then, Im a little 21 year old! good to see there are others about that still recall the masterpiece!

Does sound like your rig should be able to handle it no problems, and if it doesnt then GPG are gonna have made it unplayable on about 90% of the peoples computers, your right, no doubt a DX10 issue. How many players were you playing with, in my experience on RTS's more players is the equivalent to turning up the anti aliasing slider to max
January 12, 2007 2:01:49 PM

I was playing against 4 players. To be hones i did not play too much thought because my ass got handed to me every time and it got frustrating after a while :) 
January 12, 2007 4:38:53 PM

There is something wrong on your end.

I run SupCOm at the max graphics setting. Every option that exists, is set to full... @ 1600 by 1024 (something weird like that).
and ive got a
E6400
1 gb ram
bfg 7800 gtx oc.


so about dx 10 fixing that problem.....I dont have any problems now.... so I dont know where youre coming from... A driver is probably screwed up.. or the 8800 gtx hasn't been properly optimized by GPG..



Quote:
Well my rig is an AMD Athlon X2 4600 dual core with 2Gig or dual chanel ram. I am not sure why it is slow but i would think it is a graphics issue because it slows down when there is a lot going on on the screen. Like i said i think DX10 will fix that problem. One of the features in DX10 is that it can multiply units on your screen without re render every single one of them, so that alone will give the game a nice boost in performance.

As for my age i am not that young i do remember TA i played it all the way through, hell i even played a ton of Dune if you remember that one.
I started computer gaming back at the age when DOS games were around, one of my big favorites were Prince of Persia and Another World.

I am 30 by the way :) 
January 12, 2007 4:39:56 PM

Sure C&C is gonna suck, they still using the old generals engine + its only been in the making a year, whats up with that? Im keen on two games this year and both take gaming to a new level!!!! First the RTS side is SC!
The game seems to be just awesome! I love the, build huge armies, have huge weapons and upgrade if you rich style! As for the FPS, take a look at crysis! I cant wait, its just amazing what the developers are doing these days! Anyway, just want to say hi and give my thaughts
January 12, 2007 5:01:42 PM

Quote:
There is something wrong on your end.

I dont have any problems now.... so I dont know where youre coming from... A driver is probably screwed up.. or the 8800 gtx hasn't been properly optimized by GPG..


Well it is called a beta for a reason. The 88xx cards known to have problems with their drivers, so i assume it is just a driver issue than. Anyhow hopefully by release this will be fixed. I will buy the game anyways.
January 12, 2007 6:00:43 PM

Quote:
I was playing against 4 players. To be hones i did not play too much thought because my ass got handed to me every time and it got frustrating after a while :) 


Ha ha, that doesn't surprise me, when me and my friend used to play TA online I remember we were making like +12 metal, while the ubergeeks were already getting +40 and within about 5 minutes they came and stomped all over us! Supcom will no doubt be the same. Better to play against your mates methinks.
January 13, 2007 1:41:07 AM

Sup com has been streamlined to be really easy. I think the original TA had way more units and its complexity was far greater.


In any case, there isn't much too SupCom, other then teching, and mass producing an army at the same time. Once you figure out how to do this then youre pretty much set. Then its about figuring out what you want to build/what you have to build to win.

The only complex thing about it- if youre new to it- is figureing out how the resources drain and replenish, and how to manage your consumption rate. ITs tricky, but once u figure that out, then the rest falls into place.
January 13, 2007 5:40:39 PM

Quote:
Lol, yeah, its almost certain that 3d mark is the favourite geek game


So, I had a free moment, and decided to troll the gaming forum for a bit...LO AND BEHOLD you guys are talking about 3DMarks too!!! Doesn't this game ROCK! I can't get enough of it. :lol: 
January 14, 2007 1:12:37 PM

Now just one thing that bugs me about this game is that there is no confirmed release date yet, the beta is still ongoing and the release date everywhere is stated as Feb. 20 or something like that. That's about a month away, and the game is not even finished yet? :roll:
January 14, 2007 2:33:06 PM

23rd Feb is what I have down. The adverts have started appearing in PC Zone, and Gamer is reviewing it next month, so I reckon that date is looking fairly certain.
January 14, 2007 3:36:46 PM

Quote:
23rd Feb is what I have down. The adverts have started appearing in PC Zone, and Gamer is reviewing it next month, so I reckon that date is looking fairly certain.

I know but don't you think if they want to release the game within a month the game should have gone gold already?
January 14, 2007 7:04:46 PM

Possibly, I cant explain it, but I still think we will see the game in February. To be honest it doesnt matter to me, cos off travelling on Feb 6th so wont be able to play it till June when I get back and build a new rig.
January 18, 2007 1:07:39 PM

It went GOLD !! So we can expect it to be on shelfes on the 20th of Feb.
Here is the Press release:

Quote:
AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) today announced that Supreme Commander, developed by critically acclaimed Real-Time Strategy designer Chris Taylor and Gas Powered Games, has reached the gold master stage of development and is now entering manufacturing. Supreme Commander offers unprecedented scope and scale, superior RTS command and control and three unique single player campaigns. Developed for Windows PC, the game is scheduled to ship to retail outlets worldwide on February 20.

"Supreme Commander is pushing the boundaries with its massive size and scale, delivering an innovative gameplay experience that advances the genre tremendously," said Kelly Flock, executive vice president of worldwide publishing, THQ. "THQ is leading the industry in strategy games, and on February 20th gamers everywhere will be able to experience the ultimate in strategic conquest."

"Supreme Commander delivers the first-ever full Theatre of War zoom function, adding tremendous depth to the three story-driven campaigns and highly addictive multiplayer," said Chris Taylor, creative director and CEO, Gas Powered Games. "We've taken RTS gameplay to a whole new level and I can't wait for fans to get their hands on it."
January 18, 2007 1:14:12 PM

I hope they work out path finding, and how the game chews up system resources like theres no tomorow.


but damn after playing the beta for so long, I kinda got my fill of SupCom.
January 18, 2007 8:43:03 PM

Quote:
It went GOLD !! So we can expect it to be on shelfes on the 20th of Feb.
Here is the Press release:

AGOURA HILLS, Calif., Jan. 18 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- THQ Inc. (Nasdaq: THQI - News) today announced that Supreme Commander, developed by critically acclaimed Real-Time Strategy designer Chris Taylor and Gas Powered Games, has reached the gold master stage of development and is now entering manufacturing. Supreme Commander offers unprecedented scope and scale, superior RTS command and control and three unique single player campaigns. Developed for Windows PC, the game is scheduled to ship to retail outlets worldwide on February 20.

"Supreme Commander is pushing the boundaries with its massive size and scale, delivering an innovative gameplay experience that advances the genre tremendously," said Kelly Flock, executive vice president of worldwide publishing, THQ. "THQ is leading the industry in strategy games, and on February 20th gamers everywhere will be able to experience the ultimate in strategic conquest."

"Supreme Commander delivers the first-ever full Theatre of War zoom function, adding tremendous depth to the three story-driven campaigns and highly addictive multiplayer," said Chris Taylor, creative director and CEO, Gas Powered Games. "We've taken RTS gameplay to a whole new level and I can't wait for fans to get their hands on it."


Wooooooooohoooooooooo (out loud). Though that literally does make me even more annoyed about not being a being able to play it until june. Damn damn damn.

and doesnt TA have the best intro ever "what began as a conflict over the transfer of consciousness from flesh to machine escalated into a war which has decimated a million worlds" - Thats my text message alert!

Oh and also, well done on the find btw!
January 18, 2007 9:23:47 PM

Quote:
Though that literally does make me even more annoyed about not being a being able to play it until june. Damn damn damn.


I wouldnt worry about it too much. Look at it this way. By the time you will be ready to play this game there will be a new ATI DX10 video card on the market, the Nvidia DX10 cards will be cheaper(the high end ones) and there will be a lot of mid and low end DX10 video card to choose from.

Most of the really annoying bugs will be corrected in SC so it will be playable and fun to play, and Vista will be running at an acceptable speed with DX10 drivers for our video cards and also proper drivers for everything else(mobo, sound cards, etc) :) 

Another word i don't think you will be missing out on so much. In June it will be the best time to be a PC gamer again.
January 18, 2007 10:01:18 PM

Quote:
Though that literally does make me even more annoyed about not being a being able to play it until june. Damn damn damn.


I wouldnt worry about it too much. Look at it this way. By the time you will be ready to play this game there will be a new ATI DX10 video card on the market, the Nvidia DX10 cards will be cheaper(the high end ones) and there will be a lot of mid and low end DX10 video card to choose from.

Most of the really annoying bugs will be corrected in SC so it will be playable and fun to play, and Vista will be running at an acceptable speed with DX10 drivers for our video cards and also proper drivers for everything else(mobo, sound cards, etc) :) 

Another word i don't think you will be missing out on so much. In June it will be the best time to be a PC gamer again.

awww, I have a warm fuzzy feeling inside after reading that!
January 18, 2007 10:52:47 PM

LOL ! well it is just a way to look at things really.
I have my money saved up for a new video card and i am sitting on it waiting for the prices to come down a bit. I am using the 7300GS i have as a backup card.
Now if that damn ATI video card would come out a bit sooner so Nvidia would drop their prices and i could run out and grab this puppy. :) 

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4433
January 19, 2007 3:58:24 PM

man im glad I found this thread. I haven't seen anything about this game, but after reading this I looked it up and man this game is gonna be awesome. I have wanted a good RTS to replace Total Annihilation for a long time, looks like i have found one.

One downside I am gonna hit is I doubt my pc is going to play it very well at all. Oblivion looks alright on my pc and if I can get the same looks and performance with this game as I do with oblivion ill be alright until I get some money for a new pc. Maybe I'll just drop a good chunk of change on a video card and 2Gb of ram that should do it.
January 19, 2007 4:10:43 PM

What i have not seen is this game running in DX10 i would love to see that.
January 19, 2007 4:56:30 PM

For those who have not been on the BETA then shame on you :p 

I personally love this game and it has forced me into a long awaited upgrade. It really is that good.

Some of our clan have been playing a lot of Sup Com over the last month or two, and it is very much like the classic we all knew and loved. It does not have as many units as TA did, but then again TA had so many expansion packs and free units released via the CaveDogs website.

The GUI is very slick and keeps getting better with each patch. The upgrade paths for the ACU and SCU (Armoured Command Unit & Support Command Units) make for interesting strategies indeed :) 

The Zoom feature make this unlike any other RTS, which now feel claustrophobic and like you've hit an invisible ceiling.

Experimental units are awesome to watch, but you'd better hide your commander from them ;) 

It runs fine on my PC, with 3 players in a game but can lag in large action points deep into a game - where my frames drop to 4 FPS :( 

PC = P4 @2.8, 1.5GB PC3200 DDR, AGP BFG GeForce 6600GT 128mb, Sound Blaster Audigy 2.

But this thing is supposed to offload its work to multiple cores so I'm looking forward to seeing benchmarks on the Quad-Core CPUs.

Oh and 23rd of Feb is the release date and there are limited edition packs:
Supreme Commander UEF Faction Pack - Amazon Exclusive
Supreme Commander Cybran Faction Pack - Play Exclusive
Supreme Commander Aeon Faction Pack - Game Exclusive
January 19, 2007 5:02:05 PM

LISTEN UP!

First review of SupCom has arrived, in the latest issue of PC Gamer:

Score: 90%!!

They love it, I already love it!

"It is:
>Derma plated death
>Demanding
>Daunting

Its not:
>Low tech
>Fantasy
>To be missed"

"SupCom is a remarkable piece of work, and a worthy successor to Total Annihilation"
January 19, 2007 5:35:37 PM

Quote:
LISTEN UP!

First review of SupCom has arrived, in the latest issue of PC Gamer:

Score: 90%!!

They love it, I already love it!

"It is:
>Derma plated death
>Demanding
>Daunting

Its not:
>Low tech
>Fantasy
>To be missed"

"SupCom is a remarkable piece of work, and a worthy successor to Total Annihilation"


I told you man. I played the beta and every other forums where people talking about this game, 90% of the beta testers are buying it. The 10% who doesn't is because they are upgrading their machine to run this game better and then they will buy it. :) 
January 19, 2007 5:42:47 PM

Actually there's no surprise there with PC gamer they have been playing the beta for a while now and they loved it as well. I am listening to their podcast every week and they always talked about it.
January 19, 2007 5:55:20 PM

Quote:
Actually there's no surprise there with PC gamer they have been playing the beta for a while now and they loved it as well. I am listening to their podcast every week and they always talked about it.


Theres a podcast! How did I not know that!
January 19, 2007 7:15:32 PM

Check out this:
http://pc.ign.com/articles/756/756697p1.html

They also have some new game play footage from the single player. It seems like single player will be one of those kind that lets you win easy at the early missions so you get into the game more and more and then the missions starts to get harder. So by the time you are familiar with the controls and the way how to play the game then the enemy AI will throw everything it can at you.

So when you finish single player then you can kick some serious ass online in multiplayer.
January 19, 2007 10:18:26 PM

Also have a look at Episode #26:
http://www.pcgamerpodcast.com/video/

They mention some details about system requirements and some REALLY nice details about game play. Stuff like when you transport a bunch of units to the battle zone via carrier before the carrier even lands at the drop zone your units will start firing at the enemy from the sky. :) 
January 20, 2007 5:58:49 PM

Quote:
Seen one RTS seen em all.


I guess you haven't played Company of Heroes. Get a copy and play some skirmish games with a friend. It's an RTS, but it plays nothing like Age/Starcraft/TA and Supreme Commander.

I'm looking forward to Supreme Commander being a TA player from years ago, but CoH is totally different. Think Thief/Doom/Counter Strike, they're all just FPSs, right?
January 20, 2007 6:35:00 PM

Quote:
Seen one RTS seen em all.


I guess you haven't played Company of Heroes. Get a copy and play some skirmish games with a friend. It's an RTS, but it plays nothing like Age/Starcraft/TA and Supreme Commander.

I'm looking forward to Supreme Commander being a TA player from years ago, but CoH is totally different. Think Thief/Doom/Counter Strike, they're all just FPSs, right?

That and Warhammer: Dawn of war (the one before it), changed the way I play RTS games, you gotta get out there and get those control points, Ultra aggressive all the way!
!