I installed two XPs Home Ed. by accident .

When installing I had some compatibility problems and
somehow installed two XPs. I have one on the C: and the
other on the D:.
When I start up I get a black screen with white letters
which asks for me to select between the 2 XPs. One
selected always says I am missing "System 32\hal.dll".
The other works OK when opened.
Anyone have an idea about how to get to one XP and do
away with the other, preferably the one with the System
32 error message?

Right click on my computer and go to properties / Advanced Tab / Startup and
Recovery. Then uncheck Time to Display list of operating systems. Click OK
the click OK again. Reboot and you will be good to go.
"Earl Russell" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> When installing I had some compatibility problems and
> somehow installed two XPs. I have one on the C: and the
> other on the D:.
> When I start up I get a black screen with white letters
> which asks for me to select between the 2 XPs. One
> selected always says I am missing "System 32\hal.dll".
> The other works OK when opened.
> Anyone have an idea about how to get to one XP and do
> away with the other, preferably the one with the System
> 32 error message?

Hi,

Boot the system that works. Open Windows Explorer, delete the system folders
on the other drive for the system you no longer want. Start/run msconfig, go
to the boot.ini tab. Click the option to "check all boot paths", it should
offer to remove the invalid one.

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/