Slow boot and login to XPPro

I have a SBS2000 network with 45 desktops...all are W2000 Pro except one
which is Windows XP Pro.
The XP Pro was loaded from an original MS CD on to a newly formatted hard
drive. I went through all the setup steps including the latest MS patches
and loading our standard desktop applications Symantec Antivirus Corp Ed
8.1, Veritas backup exec client. The system was configured into our SBS2K
domain.

Problem is that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes to log into this desktop.

I have run msconfig and tested it without any extra apps running and still 2
1/2 - 3 minutes.

BTW it is a IBM net Vista P4 1.8 GHz with 512 RAM

Is XP always so slow to start?

Thanks in advance.

RickD

Jitterbug

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

"Rick Dilley" <rickd@tesslerweiss.com> wrote in message
> I have a SBS2000 network with 45 desktops...all are W2000 Pro except one
> which is Windows XP Pro.
> The XP Pro was loaded from an original MS CD on to a newly formatted hard
> drive. I went through all the setup steps including the latest MS patches
> and loading our standard desktop applications Symantec Antivirus Corp Ed
> 8.1, Veritas backup exec client. The system was configured into our SBS2K
> domain.
>
> Problem is that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes to log into this desktop.
>
> I have run msconfig and tested it without any extra apps running and still
2
> 1/2 - 3 minutes.
>
> BTW it is a IBM net Vista P4 1.8 GHz with 512 RAM
>
> Is XP always so slow to start?

> Thanks in advance.
>
> RickD

No it is not that slow. I am sure you did a defrag. Did you try boot vis to
see what is holding up the load time? [like a crazy video driver or the
like] Do You have the latest chipset, and video drivers?
At the MS Windows Road Show, when XP came out, they said you have to install
the chipset drivers before the video drivers or there will be a 81% slowdown
in load times with Intel 850 & 845 chipsets. I know it sounds strange, but
that is what they said. I just looked it up in my Windows XP Technical
Resource Manual.
Also at the time when XP came out they did not have the 845 chipset info in
XP, so you had to add them.

JB,

Thanks for the quick response.

In fact the IBM MB is using the 845 chipset and I did load the video drivers
BEFORE the chipset.

So let me try to uninstall them and reload them with chipset first then the
video drivers

I do not understand the following statement you made...can you explain?

"Did you try boot vis to see what is holding up the load time?"

Thanks

RickD

"Jitterbug" <Iam@the.bar> wrote in message

> "Rick Dilley" <rickd@tesslerweiss.com> wrote in message
> > I have a SBS2000 network with 45 desktops...all are W2000 Pro except one
> > which is Windows XP Pro.
> > The XP Pro was loaded from an original MS CD on to a newly formatted
hard
> > drive. I went through all the setup steps including the latest MS
patches
> > and loading our standard desktop applications Symantec Antivirus Corp Ed
> > 8.1, Veritas backup exec client. The system was configured into our
SBS2K
> > domain.
> >
> > Problem is that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes to log into this
desktop.

> > I have run msconfig and tested it without any extra apps running and
still
> 2
> > 1/2 - 3 minutes.
> >
> > BTW it is a IBM net Vista P4 1.8 GHz with 512 RAM
> >
> > Is XP always so slow to start?
> >
> > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > RickD
>

> No it is not that slow. I am sure you did a defrag. Did you try boot vis
> see what is holding up the load time? [like a crazy video driver or the
> like] Do You have the latest chipset, and video drivers?
> At the MS Windows Road Show, when XP came out, they said you have to
install
> the chipset drivers before the video drivers or there will be a 81%
slowdown
> in load times with Intel 850 & 845 chipsets. I know it sounds strange, but
> that is what they said. I just looked it up in my Windows XP Technical
> Resource Manual.
> Also at the time when XP came out they did not have the 845 chipset info
in
> XP, so you had to add them.

Jitterbug

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2001

It is/was a program from Microsoft that showed what drivers were loading and
how long they took during boot-up. See this link:
http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx
I guess Microsoft does not have it for download any more. Maybe the email
gods will drop it on you with some luck.

> JB,
>
> Thanks for the quick response.
>
> In fact the IBM MB is using the 845 chipset and I did load the video
drivers
> BEFORE the chipset.
>
> So let me try to uninstall them and reload them with chipset first then
the
> video drivers
>
> I do not understand the following statement you made...can you explain?
>
> "Did you try boot vis to see what is holding up the load time?"
>
> Thanks
>
> RickD
>
> "Jitterbug" <Iam@the.bar> wrote in message
> >
> > "Rick Dilley" <rickd@tesslerweiss.com> wrote in message
> > > I have a SBS2000 network with 45 desktops...all are W2000 Pro except
one
> > > which is Windows XP Pro.
> > > The XP Pro was loaded from an original MS CD on to a newly formatted
> hard
> > > drive. I went through all the setup steps including the latest MS
> patches
> > > and loading our standard desktop applications Symantec Antivirus Corp
Ed
> > > 8.1, Veritas backup exec client. The system was configured into our
> SBS2K
> > > domain.
> > >
> > > Problem is that it takes 2 1/2 to 3 1/2 minutes to log into this
> desktop.
> > >
> > > I have run msconfig and tested it without any extra apps running and
> still
> > 2
> > > 1/2 - 3 minutes.
> > >
> > > BTW it is a IBM net Vista P4 1.8 GHz with 512 RAM
> > >
> > > Is XP always so slow to start?
> > >
> > > Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > RickD
> >

> > No it is not that slow. I am sure you did a defrag. Did you try boot vis
> > see what is holding up the load time? [like a crazy video driver or the
> > like] Do You have the latest chipset, and video drivers?
> > At the MS Windows Road Show, when XP came out, they said you have to
> install
> > the chipset drivers before the video drivers or there will be a 81%
> slowdown
> > in load times with Intel 850 & 845 chipsets. I know it sounds strange,
but
> > that is what they said. I just looked it up in my Windows XP Technical
> > Resource Manual.
> > Also at the time when XP came out they did not have the 845 chipset info
> in
> > XP, so you had to add them.

http://www.softpedia.com/public/cat/12/2/12-2-1.shtml

Available at the above...

> It is/was a program from Microsoft that showed what drivers were loading
> and
> how long they took during boot-up. See this link:
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/sysperf/fastboot/bootvis.mspx
> I guess Microsoft does not have it for download any more. Maybe the email
> gods will drop it on you with some luck.
>

> "Rick Dilley" <rickd@tesslerweiss.com> wrote in message
>> JB,
>>
>> Thanks for the quick response.
>>
>> In fact the IBM MB is using the 845 chipset and I did load the video
> drivers
>> BEFORE the chipset.
>>
>> So let me try to uninstall them and reload them with chipset first then
> the
>> video drivers
>>
>> I do not understand the following statement you made...can you explain?
>>
>> "Did you try boot vis to see what is holding up the load time?"
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> RickD
>>
>> "Jitterbug" <Iam@the.bar> wrote in message
>> >
>> > "Rick Dilley" <rickd@tesslerweiss.com> wrote in message
> one
>> hard
>> patches
> Ed
>> SBS2K

>> desktop.

>> still
>> > 2

>> > No it is not that slow. I am sure you did a defrag. Did you try boot
>> > vis
>> > see what is holding up the load time? [like a crazy video driver or the
>> > like] Do You have the latest chipset, and video drivers?
>> > At the MS Windows Road Show, when XP came out, they said you have to
>> install
>> > the chipset drivers before the video drivers or there will be a 81%
>> slowdown
>> > in load times with Intel 850 & 845 chipsets. I know it sounds strange,
> but
>> > that is what they said. I just looked it up in my Windows XP Technical
>> > Resource Manual.
>> > Also at the time when XP came out they did not have the 845 chipset
>> > info
>> in
>> > XP, so you had to add them.

email "gods" did respond and outlook "gods" blocked the *.exe attachment.

"gods" giveth and "gods" taketh away... however, Chris S provided the
softpedia link.... than you to both of you!!!