.dat files/spell checker

Since I put XP on my computer I can't open any .dat
files. I didn't have this problem when I was running
Windows 98. Can anyone help me with this?
My spell checker won't work either. I have Microsoft
Works and Word installed. A messge comes up and says it
was halted while trying to check for spelling. Any ideas?
5 answers Last reply
More about files spell checker

    Donna wrote:
    > Since I put XP on my computer I can't open any .dat
    > files. I didn't have this problem when I was running
    > Windows 98. Can anyone help me with this?
    > My spell checker won't work either. I have Microsoft
    > Works and Word installed. A messge comes up and says it
    > was halted while trying to check for spelling. Any ideas?

    Uhm - just what application were you using to open .dat files before?

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    Hi,

    ..dat files do not have any file association of their own. They can be
    created by and opened with many different programs. The ones you have need
    to be opened by the same program that was used to create them.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "Donna" <peteypusremovethis@semo.net> wrote in message
    > Since I put XP on my computer I can't open any .dat
    > files. I didn't have this problem when I was running
    > Windows 98. Can anyone help me with this?
    > My spell checker won't work either. I have Microsoft
    > Works and Word installed. A messge comes up and says it
    > was halted while trying to check for spelling. Any ideas?

    "Donna" <peteypusremovethis@semo.net> wrote in message
    > Since I put XP on my computer I can't open any .dat
    > files. I didn't have this problem when I was running
    > Windows 98. Can anyone help me with this?
    > My spell checker won't work either. I have Microsoft
    > Works and Word installed. A messge comes up and says it
    > was halted while trying to check for spelling. Any ideas?

    What are you trying to spell check? Word should take care of Outlook
    Express, but if you are trying to do a box on a web page you need to install
    IE Spell from Red Egg Software, or the like. Any thing else with the halt
    message? Check out the Microsoft Knowledge base and you will get answers
    like this one:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832537&Product=oex
    It has to do with Outlook Express and Works.
    As far as your .dat files goes you can go to this site http://filext.com/
    and see if you had any of the programs that match up with the .dat files.
    There are quite a few.

    "Jitterbug" wrote:

    > "Donna" <peteypusremovethis@semo.net> wrote in message
    > > Since I put XP on my computer I can't open any .dat
    > > files. I didn't have this problem when I was running
    > > Windows 98. Can anyone help me with this?
    > > My spell checker won't work either. I have Microsoft
    > > Works and Word installed. A messge comes up and says it
    > > was halted while trying to check for spelling. Any ideas?
    >
    > What are you trying to spell check? Word should take care of Outlook
    > Express, but if you are trying to do a box on a web page you need to install
    > IE Spell from Red Egg Software, or the like. Any thing else with the halt
    > message? Check out the Microsoft Knowledge base and you will get answers
    > like this one:
    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832537&Product=oex
    > It has to do with Outlook Express and Works.
    > As far as your .dat files goes you can go to this site http://filext.com/
    > and see if you had any of the programs that match up with the .dat files.
    > There are quite a few.
    >
    > In C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/ntuser dat----this dat file is shown as a text document. Open with Notepad gives following error message: "cannot access this file, it is being used by another person or program". I saw the web address to try and find out what program created it and will try that. But, why does the KB vary? Sometimes it is 1KB and others it is 48KB
    > I even tried opening with IE and nothing happens.

    Best not to mess with this...

    NTUSER.DAT is a user profile in the registry.
    HKEY_USERS hive.
    HKEY_USERS pulls user information into the Registry editor for the default
    user and the currently logged-on user.
    HKEY_USERS registry hive keeps all the user-specific data required by the
    operating system and applications. That includes things like screen saver,
    fonts, folder view preferences, event sounds, and the list of recent
    Start/Run entries.

    --
    Hope this helps. Let us know.
    Wes

    In news:25438D6B-A773-4FE6-8807-193821D782FC@microsoft.com,
    Sysu <Sysu@discussions.microsoft.com> hunted and pecked:
    > "Jitterbug" wrote:
    >

    >> "Donna" <peteypusremovethis@semo.net> wrote in message
    >>> Since I put XP on my computer I can't open any .dat
    >>> files. I didn't have this problem when I was running
    >>> Windows 98. Can anyone help me with this?
    >>> My spell checker won't work either. I have Microsoft
    >>> Works and Word installed. A messge comes up and says it
    >>> was halted while trying to check for spelling. Any ideas?
    >>
    >> What are you trying to spell check? Word should take care of Outlook
    >> Express, but if you are trying to do a box on a web page you need to
    >> install
    >> IE Spell from Red Egg Software, or the like. Any thing else with the
    >> halt
    >> message? Check out the Microsoft Knowledge base and you will get
    >> answers
    >> like this one:

    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;832537&Product=oex
    >> It has to do with Outlook Express and Works.
    >> As far as your .dat files goes you can go to this site
    >> http://filext.com/
    >> and see if you had any of the programs that match up with the .dat
    >> files.
    >> There are quite a few.
    >>
    >> In C:/Documents and Settings/Owner/ntuser dat----this dat file is
    >> shown as a text document. Open with Notepad gives following error
    >> message: "cannot access this file, it is being used by another
    >> person or program". I saw the web address to try and find out what
    >> program created it and will try that. But, why does the KB vary?
    >> Sometimes it is 1KB and others it is 48KB I even tried opening with
    >> IE and nothing happens.

Microsoft Windows XP