XP Home Edition, VPN connectivity

a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 6:16:48 AM

I am attempting to set up VPN connectivity for a remote user to our
network. The remote user has an laptop with XP Professional installed.

The users Home PC uses XP Home Edition and has internet Connection
Sharing enabled to allow the users laptop to connect to the Internet.
The user can browse the Internet via this route. There is an issue
when the user initiates the VPN client. The VPN client cannot create
the connection with the Firewall. The firewall can be pinged from the
users laptop.

Does anyone have any experience of this happening with XP, ICS?

Thanks
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 8:34:01 AM

You dont say what firewall it is, Checkpoint? Cisco?

It would probably be that the users pc is not allowing a required port/protocol through or back. Make sure the user has the correct rules in his firewall settings to allow the required ports through (most common blocked is the IKE ports), does the VPN software have a tunnel SSL mode (the newer versions of SecuRemote have this). Also does the user have SP1a (or SP1) on the gateway machine?

For testing get them to disable any firewall software on the gateway (and laptop) machine and try again, if it then works, speak to the firewall vendor about port requirements.

Ashleigh

"Kid Curran" wrote:

> I am attempting to set up VPN connectivity for a remote user to our
> network. The remote user has an laptop with XP Professional installed.
>
> The users Home PC uses XP Home Edition and has internet Connection
> Sharing enabled to allow the users laptop to connect to the Internet.
> The user can browse the Internet via this route. There is an issue
> when the user initiates the VPN client. The VPN client cannot create
> the connection with the Firewall. The firewall can be pinged from the
> users laptop.
>
> Does anyone have any experience of this happening with XP, ICS?
>
> Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 5:30:45 AM

We are using the Cisco VPN client 3.6.3.B-k9 With a Cisco firewall/vpn
concentrator.

I don't think the user is using the firewall setting in XP. The user
can get connectivity sometimes and other times the VPN client times
out whilst connecting. Other users can VPN.

Which Service Pack should be installed on XP Home Edition?

thanks for your response

"Ashleigh" <Ashleigh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:<FB5D9530-0E3A-4C5F-B979-C8DFB4F6718D@microsoft.com>...
> You dont say what firewall it is, Checkpoint? Cisco?
>
> It would probably be that the users pc is not allowing a required port/protocol through or back. Make sure the user has the correct rules in his firewall settings to allow the required ports through (most common blocked is the IKE ports), does the VPN software have a tunnel SSL mode (the newer versions of SecuRemote have this). Also does the user have SP1a (or SP1) on the gateway machine?
>
> For testing get them to disable any firewall software on the gateway (and laptop) machine and try again, if it then works, speak to the firewall vendor about port requirements.
>
> Ashleigh
>
> "Kid Curran" wrote:
>
> > I am attempting to set up VPN connectivity for a remote user to our
> > network. The remote user has an laptop with XP Professional installed.
> >
> > The users Home PC uses XP Home Edition and has internet Connection
> > Sharing enabled to allow the users laptop to connect to the Internet.
> > The user can browse the Internet via this route. There is an issue
> > when the user initiates the VPN client. The VPN client cannot create
> > the connection with the Firewall. The firewall can be pinged from the
> > users laptop.
> >
> > Does anyone have any experience of this happening with XP, ICS?
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 10:53:04 AM

Install the latest service pack (at time of writing 1a, but 2 is out shortly'ish). There were some fixes for ICS in SP1/SP1a so well worth doing that before trying anything else.

Ashleigh

!