Closed

how to password protect shared folders

How can I password protect network access to shared folders under XP? I
can do this OK on ME and Win 2000 but can't find where to do this on XP.

MTIA

--
bof at bof dot me dot uk
10 answers Last reply

    "bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > How can I password protect network access to shared folders under XP? I
    > can do this OK on ME and Win 2000 but can't find where to do this on XP.
    >
    > MTIA

    You can't "password" protect without a third party application but you can
    use permissions as long as you are using NTFS formatted storage.

    In message <uNlNnRFWEHA.644@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    <me6@privacy.net> writes
    >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >>

    >> How can I password protect network access to shared folders under XP? I
    >> can do this OK on ME and Win 2000 but can't find where to do this on XP.
    >>
    >> MTIA
    >>

    >You can't "password" protect without a third party application but you can
    >use permissions as long as you are using NTFS formatted storage.

    Thanks for the reply. To rephrase it then, I can't find where to set
    permissions; the folders I want to share and protect are on an NTFS
    format drive, however XP is installed on a FAT32 format drive (none of
    whose files I wish to share), could this be the problem?

    Where should I find the option to set file permissions, if it is
    available?

    MTIA

    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

    You'll need to convert your FAT32 file system to NTFS.

    Converting FAT32 to NTFS in Windows XP
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/ntfscvt.htm

    [Courtesy of Alex Nichol, MS-MVP]

    Description of File Sharing and Permissions in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040&Product=winxp

    HOW TO: Set the My Documents Folder as "Private" in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;298399&Product=winxp

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    In message <#wDBArGWEHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> writes
    >You'll need to convert your FAT32 file system to NTFS.

    <snip useful URLs>

    thanks, that's the next task for today then

    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

    > In message <#wDBArGWEHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    > <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> writes
    > >You'll need to convert your FAT32 file system to NTFS.
    >
    > <snip useful URLs>
    >
    > thanks, that's the next task for today then
    >
    > --
    > bof at bof dot me dot uk

    And then disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab in
    Folder properties. (In Windows Explorer go to Tools-Folder Options-View and
    scroll right down to the bottom)

    HTH

    In message <uSf$YSHWEHA.3308@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    <me6@privacy.net> writes
    >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In message <#wDBArGWEHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Carey Frisch [MVP]"
    >> <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> writes
    >> >You'll need to convert your FAT32 file system to NTFS.
    >>
    >> <snip useful URLs>
    >>
    >> thanks, that's the next task for today then
    >>
    >> --
    >> bof at bof dot me dot uk
    >
    >And then disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab in
    >Folder properties. (In Windows Explorer go to Tools-Folder Options-View and
    >scroll right down to the bottom)

    Thanks for the reply, having converted to NTFS doing a "Windows Explorer
    go to Tools-Folder Options-View and scroll right down to the bottom",
    there is no option shown to disable Simple File Sharing, and having read
    the MS tutorial on file sharing it's implied that simple file sharing is
    not switchoffable in XP Home, which is the version I have.

    So I guess my original question becomes "can I protect access to my
    shared folders in XP Home"

    MTIA once again

    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

    > In message <uSf$YSHWEHA.3308@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    > <me6@privacy.net> writes
    > >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> In message <#wDBArGWEHA.2176@TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl>, "Carey Frisch
    [MVP]"
    > >> <mrxp2004@nospamyahoo.com> writes
    > >>
    > >> <snip useful URLs>
    > >>
    > >> thanks, that's the next task for today then
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> bof at bof dot me dot uk
    > >
    > >And then disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab in
    > >Folder properties. (In Windows Explorer go to Tools-Folder Options-View
    and
    > >scroll right down to the bottom)
    >
    > Thanks for the reply, having converted to NTFS doing a "Windows Explorer
    > go to Tools-Folder Options-View and scroll right down to the bottom",
    > there is no option shown to disable Simple File Sharing, and having read
    > the MS tutorial on file sharing it's implied that simple file sharing is
    > not switchoffable in XP Home, which is the version I have.
    >
    > So I guess my original question becomes "can I protect access to my
    > shared folders in XP Home"
    >
    > MTIA once again
    >
    > --
    > bof at bof dot me dot uk

    I have a feeling you can switch it off by logging in as The
    Administrator......

    In message <OElGayqWEHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    <me6@privacy.net> writes
    >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In message <uSf$YSHWEHA.3308@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    >> <me6@privacy.net> writes
    >> >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >[MVP]"

    >> >And then disable Simple File Sharing in order to see the Security tab in
    >> >Folder properties. (In Windows Explorer go to Tools-Folder Options-View
    >and
    >> >scroll right down to the bottom)
    >>
    >> Thanks for the reply, having converted to NTFS doing a "Windows Explorer
    >> go to Tools-Folder Options-View and scroll right down to the bottom",
    >> there is no option shown to disable Simple File Sharing, and having read
    >> the MS tutorial on file sharing it's implied that simple file sharing is
    >> not switchoffable in XP Home, which is the version I have.
    >>
    >> So I guess my original question becomes "can I protect access to my
    >> shared folders in XP Home"
    >>
    >> MTIA once again
    >>
    >> --
    >> bof at bof dot me dot uk
    >
    >I have a feeling you can switch it off by logging in as The
    >Administrator......

    Thanks, just tried logging in as The Administrator but no joy

    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

    > In message <OElGayqWEHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    > <me6@privacy.net> writes
    > >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > >> In message <uSf$YSHWEHA.3308@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    > >> <me6@privacy.net> writes
    > >[MVP]"

    Options-View
    > >and
    > >>
    > >> Thanks for the reply, having converted to NTFS doing a "Windows
    Explorer
    > >> go to Tools-Folder Options-View and scroll right down to the bottom",
    > >> there is no option shown to disable Simple File Sharing, and having
    read
    > >> the MS tutorial on file sharing it's implied that simple file sharing
    is
    > >> not switchoffable in XP Home, which is the version I have.
    > >>
    > >> So I guess my original question becomes "can I protect access to my
    > >> shared folders in XP Home"
    > >>
    > >> MTIA once again
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >> bof at bof dot me dot uk
    > >
    > >I have a feeling you can switch it off by logging in as The
    > >Administrator......
    >
    > Thanks, just tried logging in as The Administrator but no joy

    You have to do it in Safe Mode.

    See here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418#3

    In message <#L0zhOrWEHA.1128@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    <me6@privacy.net> writes
    >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> In message <OElGayqWEHA.916@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, Gordon
    >> <me6@privacy.net> writes
    >> >"bof" <nothingread@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> >[MVP]"

    >in
    >Options-View
    >> >and

    >Explorer
    >read
    >is

    >> >I have a feeling you can switch it off by logging in as The
    >> >Administrator......
    >>
    >> Thanks, just tried logging in as The Administrator but no joy
    >>

    >You have to do it in Safe Mode.
    >
    >See here:
    >http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=308418#3

    Yep, many thanks, got the permissions now. That method is clunky beyond
    belief, I guess I really need to go to XP Pro, or back to ME.

    --
    bof at bof dot me dot uk

Windows XP