Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Pick Your Browser: Microsoft Shows Off Ballot

Last response: in News comments
February 19, 2010 4:14:59 PM

Do we care what browser Mac use in a Windows world?
Score
February 19, 2010 4:16:40 PM

I think its Microsoft's software, why can't they bundle their software? If people want to get rid of IE, they should be able to, and they should be able to download and use a different browser. If you don't like how Microsoft does things, don't buy their software, or don't use it and download what you want. If you are going to force this kind of thing though, do it consistently and make Apple give a choice too since right now, they have everything bundled together.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:16:53 PM

Can Safari be removed from OSX?
Isn't the question asked in a twisted way? 'Is it fair?' Apple's whole business model is about removing as much user choice and flexibility as possible to minimize user error and therefore improve the perception of stability and usability.
Besides, MS only created the ballot because the EU twisted their arms.
A more appropriate question would be:
"Is it fair that these 5 major browsers get preferential treatment to any new developing ones?"
Score
February 19, 2010 4:17:35 PM

i think what i am seeing here should get no complaints from any of the browser companies, it seems completely fair in how its implemented.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:18:52 PM

I still don't agree with MSFT marketing third party apps. As someone said before, maybe during the installation of the OS they should advertize Mac OS X and Ubuntu.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:20:11 PM

Yes it's fair... Apple can kiss my a$$ for not having flash..

& Jane will they release the results form the ballots. which is more popular the the other..
BTW Firefox 3.6 FTW!!
Score
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 4:21:13 PM

i need a ballot screen for notepad app, calculator app, paint app, defrag app, ......
Score
February 19, 2010 4:21:28 PM

I think it's total crap.

Why should Microsoft have to offer you a competitor's product? Internet Explorer is a feature that Microsoft includes for free. If you don't like it, then don't use it. I don't see what the big deal is. I dare the EU to present ONE other instance where a company is forced to market their competitors' products.

I'm all for competition, but this is going too far.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:21:54 PM

I don't understand why this is such an issue. MS doesn't prevent anyone from installing another browser on the system. Also, all these browsers are free, yes? Then who gives a crap whether one is used over another. There's no fighting over money here, just claims that they have the most popular browser.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:23:31 PM

Tgis issue was stupid back then and it still is. But, yeah, since Apple have a monopoly with Mac OS on Apple computers, they should be forced to do the same thing with the browser. After all, isn't the purpose of this fight top give users the absolute choice?
Score
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 4:23:34 PM

Double standard, the iphone os should also be forced to offer a choice of browsers.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:23:38 PM

What date is Apple being forced to roll this out for OSX?

Oh, right. They're NOT.

EU = money grabbing hypocrites.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:23:52 PM

Eventually the EU should treat Apple the same way. I hope so.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:24:12 PM

DEFINITELY NOT FAIR!
Apple should also follow the same treatment!
Score
February 19, 2010 4:24:18 PM

FOR EXAMPLE:

Is it fair that you can ONLY use iTunes to sync your music to your iPOD? I for one would love to use Windows Media Player for that, but it's not an option (that's why I bought a Zune). I'm pretty sure that by EU standards Apple has a monopoly on mp3 players.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:26:16 PM

stige EU = money grabbing hypocrites.

i'd say EU = Money SUCKING Suckers
Score
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 4:26:56 PM

Ugh. I think I'm gonna get rid of the internet.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:28:04 PM

jacobdrjCan Safari be removed from OSX?Isn't the question asked in a twisted way? 'Is it fair?' Apple's whole business model is about removing as much user choice and flexibility as possible to minimize user error and therefore improve the perception of stability and usability.Besides, MS only created the ballot because the EU twisted their arms. A more appropriate question would be:"Is it fair that these 5 major browsers get preferential treatment to any new developing ones?"

I completely agree.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:35:46 PM

Microsoft makes no attempt to prevent me from installing a different browser, I have the freedom to do so whenever I want... So again I don't see the point of any of this.

Honestly, without sounding overly condescending, the people this 'option screen' is targeting probably don't know/care about the alternative browsers and quite frankly this will confuse them more so than just giving them the default they're used to. Anyone with some computer savvy skills will have picked their preferred browser by now and if not, they have the ability to do it if they so choose.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:37:59 PM

This is actually pretty stupid, most people when they purchase a computer do it through an OEM, leave it to the OEM to do this they are in a much more flexible position to do this. As for retail copies, I think most people that are ever going to be in a position to install a retail copy are going to find this ballot screen an extra useless step.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:38:59 PM

In my opinion I think too many people on here are looking at things from the wrong angle. Apple should NOT have to do this... Microsoft should NOT have to do this either. If everyone is made to do a bad thing does that justify the action and make it good? NO! But this is the real world and especially in the world of business, things are not fair. Who cares? You know the rules... play the game. Asking questions of fairness is absolute nonsense.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:41:40 PM

I don't know how EU can make an example of the a company like Microsoft and yet not make it a rule for everyone else.

Yes, Microsoft is guilty of monopolizing the browser space; but so is Google and Apple. Why not bust them too?
Score
February 19, 2010 4:42:31 PM

Do people who can't figure out how to install a third-party browser after the Windows install completes need a prompted choice? Some of these other (not IE) browsers have other stumbling blocks. Remember when it wasn't so easy to install Flash in FireFox unless you installed it outside of the broswer before going to a Flash enabled site? There are still a significant number of people on the internet using IE 6. They either don't know what browser they are using or are on a locked-down corporate desktop or don't understand there's a security issue around using an antique browser.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:43:57 PM

this whole browser issue is so stupid ... Microsot should be able to ship windows with whatever THEY want in it. If you dont like it, DONT buy it ...

And i use Firefox.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:44:22 PM

whether it's good or not really depends on how you look at things. if you are used to using microsoft bundled products then it's good that you don't have to install additional software for you to be productive.

i think it's good to let user choose which browser to use, if IE didn't contain so many security holes. but the ironic part is that firefox is not too secure itself and people that know about the security holes are likely able to download a browser of their choosing.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:46:05 PM

Is it hard to use IE one time just to download your favorite browser? It's their software. You aren't forced to buy it. Third party software companies shouldn't even complain. Windows was generous enough to allow compatibility of other browsers to work on an OS, which THEY CREATED!
Score
February 19, 2010 4:50:52 PM

As long as IE isn't an integrated piece of Windows and be removed without issue if desired then they should be able to bundle away. They should not be required to offer other solutions. OSX, Unix, and every version of Linux I have used came bundled with a browser. If MS must give options then the others should too. Besides, as much as I hate to say it, IE (8) is currently the most secure browser out there. Others have some nicer and better implemented features but aren't currently as secure. I think it is just nit picking.
Score
February 19, 2010 4:50:56 PM

If you make it for one, you ought to do it for all the OSes out there.

Now, since Windows has such a big market share, it makes sense that they get to do it first.

The idea sounds amazing for any OS in the planet, giving you the CHOICE to use any browser you want right of the bat.

Cheers!
Score
February 19, 2010 4:51:12 PM

Quote:
FOR EXAMPLE:

Is it fair that you can ONLY use iTunes to sync your music to your iPOD? I for one would love to use Windows Media Player for that, but it's not an option (that's why I bought a Zune). I'm pretty sure that by EU standards Apple has a monopoly on mp3 players.

noodlegts +10 to attack!
Score
February 19, 2010 4:57:32 PM

I think it should be both worlds. Other options should be included but they should have to pay microsoft for the rights to do so. This shouldnt be forced onto microsoft it is their software to begin with.

Your cable company sells you their internet and offers you their modem but they dont MAKE you use it. well unless its comcast but we wont get into that right now lol
Score
February 19, 2010 5:06:07 PM

This story kind of makes me want to stop using Firefox and support IE... just because.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:12:00 PM

"forcing" apple users to use safari is the same thing as microsoft and ie...

There are still a bunch of sites that absolutely require ie though, so if you don't have it you'd be unable to view and use certain websites or content.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:12:17 PM

They all should add this, yes. There is no reason why not. It's a better solution and we still can't uninstall IE, because EU only now said something. If they said something back with the 98 time, we might be able to completely remove IE by now.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:23:12 PM

It's just imbecile to say: "if you don't like don't buy" because, in the end, you don't have choice. Computers is all about communication. You must exchange docs, worksheets, programs, else computer is just a big calculator. Programs could be completely incompatibles. In fact, Microsoft IE, specially Quirks mode made web applications incompatibles between another browsers. It amplify lock-in effects. Windows OS achieved "lock-in", so it benefit from the "switching costs" that preclude customers from switching-over to competing solutions. Browser ballot is just about justice.

Best regards,
Rodrigo

Score
February 19, 2010 5:23:32 PM

I agree that if Microsoft has to give users a choice of browsers other than IE, all other operating systems should also have do this. Mac, linux, Windows, you name it. I'm not a fan of IE at all, but I don't think its too hard to surf to a site and download something different like Firefox. If they're given a window like the one shown above, I can almost guarantee you that a user will pick the first listed one. The average person doesn't know one browser from another.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:24:16 PM

IMHO I believe Microsoft has every right to bundle "their" browser with "their" operating system as they see fit. On the other hand, Microsoft should also loosen the integration enough to provide an easy uninstall without repercussions (example: Windows Update feature). This will give users a real choice without having to worry about loosing any functionality that is dependent on IE. If the end user isn't knowledgeable enough to understand they have a choice then they deserve to be bound to IE.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:27:29 PM

schizofrogIn my opinion I think too many people on here are looking at things from the wrong angle. Apple should NOT have to do this... Microsoft should NOT have to do this either. If everyone is made to do a bad thing does that justify the action and make it good? NO! But this is the real world and especially in the world of business, things are not fair. Who cares? You know the rules... play the game. Asking questions of fairness is absolute nonsense.

In a sense, I agree, but a big part of free trade is the ability to compete on a fair playing field and to let the best product win. I don't agree with the EU's solution, as it adds even more injustice. But the sentiment of having IE being able to be uninstalled or deactivated should be at the discretion of the user who is, by de facto monopoly, forced to used Windows in many cases. That is what anti-Trust laws are supposed to be for, to break up de facto monopolies that hurt the market. However, when the US courts dealt with the case, MS was guilty of anti-competitive practices, yet, the courts didn't issue a sentence that solved the issue. I am glad the EU did something, but it was the wrong thing. The US had the power to break up MS because they are headquartered here. All the EU can do is manipulate the licensing of MS' software.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:34:05 PM

Maybe someone should really find the motive behind this decision of the EU? Maybe there's a money trail somewhere OR they were losing a battle and decided to make MS pay in a certain way, just to save face...
Score
February 19, 2010 5:34:13 PM

schizofrogIn my opinion I think too many people on here are looking at things from the wrong angle. Apple should NOT have to do this... Microsoft should NOT have to do this either. If everyone is made to do a bad thing does that justify the action and make it good? NO! But this is the real world and especially in the world of business, things are not fair. Who cares? You know the rules... play the game. Asking questions of fairness is absolute nonsense.

Agree 100%, nobody should be required to do this. Just because they have the most popular (best) OS out they are forced to do things others are not required to.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:45:18 PM

My understanding is that IE cannot be removed from a windows system. In my view this is the anti-competitive behavior, simply having bundled software is fine, preventing me from removing said bundled software is not fine.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:46:12 PM

If all of these "choices" are free, then how are any of the products competition to any of the others? If there's no money involved, then there should be no complaints from anyone. The only thing being affected here is marketshare, which is money but in a round about way. I agree that none of the companys should be forced to do this but if one is, they all should be. The only people that would know the difference in any of the browsers are people like we have here and they will install whatever they want. Heck, I'm running 3 of the listed browsers on my machine personally.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:50:18 PM

The whole thing is idiotic. You can install any browser you like, any time you like.
Score
February 19, 2010 5:52:45 PM

They forgot to remove the IE icon from the top corner of the window!
Score
February 19, 2010 5:53:36 PM

Fairness is a term co-opted by the sycophantic politically correct ***** whipped movement that has totally emasculated so much of modern society. Why not put an option to sort the listing alphabetically and by market share and so on and so on... dumb, just dumb. I use Chrome, period, the people who should never touch a computer keyboard and they are the vast majority stumble and fall when presented with choice like a deer caught in the headlights.
Score
Anonymous
February 19, 2010 5:54:49 PM

Perhaps Europe does not forget the reaming of Netscape. Bing!
Score
February 19, 2010 5:55:53 PM

"Do you think it's fair that Microsoft should have to give Windows users a choice when it comes to browsers but Apple does not?"

This is question two. First we must ask question one; should Microsoft have to do this?

I don't think they should because next they'll have to have a ballot for media players, then firewalls, then desktop gadgets. Anyone who doesn't know there are alternatives in the first place is just going to get overwhelmed.

Lets also remember that these "alternatives" can partner with companies like dell and hp to get their software pre-installed and set as default. windows shouldn't have to worry about their competitors problems.

But why stop at Microsoft, how about making the big video game makers publicize other games on their marketplaces. yes, I should be able to download WOW from steam without WOW paying for publicity. But then again why doesn't WOW have advertisements for games on Steam? oh, we should require all companies to advertise their competition!

THE ENTIRE WORLD HAS LOST ITS MIND!

Score
February 19, 2010 5:58:03 PM

well you can remove safari from a mac without any repercussions you can even under snow leopard installation chose not to install it if you do a custom install. You cant do that with internet explorer they have that thing sewn up tight in their os.
Score
February 19, 2010 6:03:06 PM

In other news: The EU forced Ford to offer a choice to european consumers whether they want a Honda, Toyota or a VW engine in their cars.

/sarcasam
Score
!