upgrading to xp professional

Jim

The dealer that I bought my laptop went out of business
and never gave me my own copy of Windows 2000 pro. I am
now required to upgrade to xp pro to be able to use a new
software program. If I buy the upgrade, will I have any
problems installing it without any cert of identification
for the existing windows 2000 pro?

The first time you won't have a problem (well theoretically anyway) as you
can pop the XP Pro Upgrade CD into the drive from the Windows 2000 Desktop
and select Install->Upgrade[recommended]. The installer will recognize that
you have Windows 2000 installed and setup will continue. However if you find
you need to run a fresh install in the future you will need a qualifying
product at that time. Windows 98/Me/NT/2000/XP Home are all suitable
qualifying products. You might be able to purchase an old copy of Windows 98
for cheap some where and use it to satisfy the request if that need arises.

One thing to keep in mind is that when you upgrade from Windows 2000 to
Windows XP there is no uninstall option. So if the upgrade is not successful
you are in for a fresh install.

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"jim" <james.whitehouse@nbf.ca> wrote in message
> The dealer that I bought my laptop went out of business
> and never gave me my own copy of Windows 2000 pro. I am
> now required to upgrade to xp pro to be able to use a new
> software program. If I buy the upgrade, will I have any
> problems installing it without any cert of identification
> for the existing windows 2000 pro?

Gordon

"jim" <james.whitehouse@nbf.ca> wrote in message
> The dealer that I bought my laptop went out of business
> and never gave me my own copy of Windows 2000 pro. I am
> now required to upgrade to xp pro to be able to use a new
> software program. If I buy the upgrade, will I have any
> problems installing it without any cert of identification
> for the existing windows 2000 pro?

As long as W2K is still installed on your laptop, then you will be able to
upgrade using an Upgrade version, either by doing a clean install or an
in-place upgrade. Unfortunately, if you ever need to re-format your HDD (or
replace it), you will be well and truly stuck. I fear your only course of
action to safeguard future installations is to buy a Full retail copy of XP.

Hi

Check the following link for upgrade paths. You will proof of a previous
version of Windows if you but the 'Upgrade' version:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/matrix.mspx

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User