Jim

Ihave had this computor for a year now and have recently got broadband so that I can us the internet. I see from comments that viruses are quite prevalent.The 3 cd restore pack that came with the machine only reinstates the machine as bought. I have installed a second partition, so does anybody know what is on the 3 cd set. If I put them in the disk reader it does a complete reformat etc.

If you received a User's Guide with your eMachine, its time
to take a moment to read it and learn all about the 3 disks that
came with your PC.

Welcome to eMachine Technical Support!
http://www.e4me.com/support/tech_support.html

3 Steps to Help Insure Your PC is Protected

Frequently Asked Questions About Antivirus Software
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/antivirus.asp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"jim" <jim@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message:

| Ihave had this computor for a year now and have recently got broadband so that I can us the internet. I see
from comments that viruses are quite prevalent.The 3 cd restore pack that came with the machine only
reinstates the machine as bought. I have installed a second partition, so does anybody know what is on the 3
cd set. If I put them in the disk reader it does a complete reformat etc.

Jim,
If you are online with Broadband, make sure firstly that you have a firewall
enabled. (Open Windows Help and type 'firewall' for full instructions on how
to activate this). It is a bare minimum necessary these days.
General advice is to get an updateable anti-virus programme too and update
it regularly (at least weekly, preferably automatically scheduled much more
often) http://www.grisoft.com offers a free version of AVG 6 which is very
good. A better firewall then windows default one is available from
http://www.zonelabs.com for free too.
The CD's that came with your system are as you say to restore the system to
the way it was the day it left the factory.
I'd be careful about starting your PC with any of them in the drive, but
after your PC has started go to My Computer, right click the CD Drive and
choose 'explore' to view the contents.
With care, good security and a bit of luck, you'll never need to use them.
Hope this helps,
Chek

--
Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly