Connecting old PC to new one for data files transfer

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
short of going out and buying a router or something?

Both computers have an Ethernet adapter. I'm 'Net-connected via cable
modem, and therefore have a cable running between my modem and the
Ethernet adapter in my computer. I was wondering if it would be
possible to accomplish this, simply by connecting the two computers via
their Ethernet adapters, using the cable that normally connects the
cable modem to the computer. (this is the part that's probably a stupid
question!)

Any help you can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

In article <MPG.1b4262c2a154eb299896b5@msnews.microsoft.com>,
nospam@all.is.best says...
> This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
> connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
> short of going out and buying a router or something?
---------------------------
Sorry about this post... I found the information I need (for now) in the
XP Help material. Looks like I'll need to at least get a hub and
another cable.

Thanks anyway... I'm sure I'll need more help later!
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Also available is a "CROSS OVER CABLE" that can be purchased. These are
carried at the computer stores, and if you use google to search for a Cat 5
Crossover cable you should be able to find one.

This connects the two machines via the Ethernet cards without the need of a
hub. I tried the Lap Link cable before I found out about the crossover
cable.

--
Joe

=====================================
ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

=====================================

"Crazy Horse" <nospam@all.is.best> wrote in message
In article <MPG.1b4262c2a154eb299896b5@msnews.microsoft.com>,
nospam@all.is.best says...
> This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
> connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
> short of going out and buying a router or something?
---------------------------
Sorry about this post... I found the information I need (for now) in the
XP Help material. Looks like I'll need to at least get a hub and
another cable.

Thanks anyway... I'm sure I'll need more help later!
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

MadMax

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2003

Joe Roberts wrote:

> Also available is a "CROSS OVER CABLE" that can be purchased. These are
> carried at the computer stores, and if you use google to search for a Cat 5
> Crossover cable you should be able to find one.
>
> This connects the two machines via the Ethernet cards without the need of a
> hub. I tried the Lap Link cable before I found out about the crossover
> cable.

And don't forget to enable sharing.
-max

--
To help you stay safe see:
http://www.geocities.com/maxpro4u/madmax.html

Thanks! This is exactly the kind of option I was hoping for find out
about. Much appreciative!

In article <5v4Cc.735$OF6.570@newssvr31.news.prodigy.com>, j.roberts37
@sbcglobal.net says...
> Also available is a "CROSS OVER CABLE" that can be purchased...
> at... computer stores, and...
> connect the two machines via the Ethernet cards without the need of a
> hub.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

In article <Ym6Cc.7081$Il1.6339@fe1.columbus.rr.com>,
maxpro4u@nomail.afraid.org says...
> Joe Roberts wrote:
> > Also available is a "CROSS OVER CABLE" that...
> > connects the two machines via the Ethernet cards...
> --------------------------------
> And don't forget to enable sharing.
> -max
--------------------------
Since this is something I haven't been around LANs in quite some time,
this is something I could have easily forgotten about.

I appreciate the reminder... thanks for your help.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

papa

All you need is a crossover cable. A hub is unnecessary.

"Crazy Horse" <nospam@all.is.best> wrote in message
In article <MPG.1b4262c2a154eb299896b5@msnews.microsoft.com>,
nospam@all.is.best says...
> This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
> connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
> short of going out and buying a router or something?
---------------------------
Sorry about this post... I found the information I need (for now) in the
XP Help material. Looks like I'll need to at least get a hub and
another cable.

Thanks anyway... I'm sure I'll need more help later!
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

Well, it turns out that getting this done is not so easy, at least for
us numbskulls...

I've gotten the crossover cable that people recommended and used it to
connect my two PC's together, but so far I've had no success at getting
this to work.

So it's time to ask some very specific questions...
What drivers, protocols and services do I need to install for each PC's
network connection?

Here's what's currently loaded on my Win'95 PC (exact wording but not
order):

DRIVERS:
-- Dial-Up Adapter
-- OVISLINK NWAY NIC

PROTOCOLS
-- TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
-- TCP/IP -> OVISLINK NWAY NIC

SERVICES:
-- Client for Microsoft Networks
-- File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Here's what's currently loaded on my Win XP Laptop (exact wording but
not order):

DRIVERS:
-- SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

PROTOCOLS
-- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

SERVICES:
-- Client for Microsoft Networks
-- File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
-- QoS Packet Scheduler

I suspect my problem lies with not having the correct protocols loaded
but could really use some specific guidance.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks ahead of time,
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
In article <MPG.1b4262c2a154eb299896b5@msnews.microsoft.com>,
nospam@all.is.best says...
> This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
> connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
> short of going out and buying a router or something?

papa

Take a look at www.practicallynetworked.com. That website has a lot of great
answers on the subject.

Well, it turns out that getting this done is not so easy, at least for
us numbskulls...

I've gotten the crossover cable that people recommended and used it to
connect my two PC's together, but so far I've had no success at getting
this to work.

So it's time to ask some very specific questions...
What drivers, protocols and services do I need to install for each PC's
network connection?

Here's what's currently loaded on my Win'95 PC (exact wording but not
order):

DRIVERS:
-- Dial-Up Adapter
-- OVISLINK NWAY NIC

PROTOCOLS
-- TCP/IP -> Dial-Up Adapter
-- TCP/IP -> OVISLINK NWAY NIC

SERVICES:
-- Client for Microsoft Networks
-- File and printer sharing for Microsoft Networks

Here's what's currently loaded on my Win XP Laptop (exact wording but
not order):

DRIVERS:
-- SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

PROTOCOLS
-- Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)

SERVICES:
-- Client for Microsoft Networks
-- File and Printer sharing for Microsoft Networks
-- QoS Packet Scheduler

I suspect my problem lies with not having the correct protocols loaded
but could really use some specific guidance.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks ahead of time,
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯
In article <MPG.1b4262c2a154eb299896b5@msnews.microsoft.com>,
nospam@all.is.best says...
> This is probably a remarkably stupid question, but is there a way I can
> connect my old computer (Pentium-1 class CPU, Win'95) to my new laptop,
> short of going out and buying a router or something?

In article <eGOZNE5WEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, bikingis@my.fun
says...
> Take a look at www.practicallynetworked.com. That website has a lot of great
> answers on the subject.
------------------
Thanks, Papa... this looks promising. I'll let you know how things turn
out.
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯

In article <eGOZNE5WEHA.1656@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl>, bikingis@my.fun
says...
> Take a look at www.practicallynetworked.com. That website has a lot of great
> answers on the subject.
----------------------------
Papa-
I've used the reference sites you recommended and found the information
I needed. The main gist of the matter is that I *did* need NetBEUI
loaded and it's no longer "supported" in XP. There is a way to install
the protocol off of the XP CD anyway, which is what I did... and
everything fell into place after that. Looks like I'm "home free" now,
thanks to your help, without which I would have never figured this out
on my own. Can't thank you enough!
_______
-CH
¯¯¯¯¯¯¯