Determine IP address of WRT54G

Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I forgot to write down the static IP address that I entered on my Linksys
WRT54G. I don't use the DHCP server, or the WAN side - just using it as a
WAP.

Is there an easy way to determine the IP address without resetting it? (I
have a lot of MAC address filtering enabled)
13 answers Last reply
More about determine address wrt54g
  1. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Another Newsgroup User <not-a@real-email.com> wrote:
    > I forgot to write down the static IP address that I entered on my Linksys
    > WRT54G. I don't use the DHCP server, or the WAN side - just using it as a
    > WAP.

    > Is there an easy way to determine the IP address without resetting it? (I
    > have a lot of MAC address filtering enabled)

    Presuming you have Windows/cmd available, and you gave it an address on
    your local subnet so you could get to it, a batch file called pingsome.bat
    You might want to catch the output somewhere.
    pingsome 192.168.0 > ping.txt

    pingsome.bat:
    @if "%1"=="" goto noargs
    @echo "Ping 255 address on the %1 subnet"
    @echo off

    for /L %%i IN (0,1,255) DO ping -a -n 1 -l 50 -w 100 %1.%%i
    @goto :EOF

    :NoArgs
    @echo Usage:
    @echo pingsome subnet ( 192.168.0 )
    @goto :EOF


    --
    ---
    Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
  2. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 20:43:02 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@DetermineX.usenet.us.com wrote:

    >Another Newsgroup User <not-a@real-email.com> wrote:
    >> I forgot to write down the static IP address that I entered on my Linksys
    >> WRT54G. I don't use the DHCP server, or the WAN side - just using it as a
    >> WAP.
    >
    >> Is there an easy way to determine the IP address without resetting it? (I
    >> have a lot of MAC address filtering enabled)
    >
    >Presuming you have Windows/cmd available, and you gave it an address on
    >your local subnet so you could get to it, a batch file called pingsome.bat
    >You might want to catch the output somewhere.
    > pingsome 192.168.0 > ping.txt
    >
    >pingsome.bat:
    >@if "%1"=="" goto noargs
    >@echo "Ping 255 address on the %1 subnet"
    >@echo off
    >
    >for /L %%i IN (0,1,255) DO ping -a -n 1 -l 50 -w 100 %1.%%i
    >@goto :EOF
    >
    >:NoArgs
    >@echo Usage:
    >@echo pingsome subnet ( 192.168.0 )
    >@goto :EOF

    Groan. Brute force, non-elegant, an no finesse. Also, no guarantee
    that it's in the 192.168.0.xxx Class C block. Here's a better way:

    Flip over the WRT54G and scribble down the MAC address of the unit
    (usually the LAN MAC address). I'll *ASSUME* that since you cleverly
    set up a static IP address on the LAN side of your router, you also
    setup a static IP address on your computah. These should be in the
    same Class C IP block (i.e. 192.168.0.something), but should have
    different values for something.

    Open an MSDOS cmd or command window and run:
    arp -s 192.168.0.2 00-aa-00-62-c6-09
    where 192.168.0.2 is an IP address other than what you guess the
    router is set for and the 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 is the MAC address of the
    router. Then, just run:
    http://192.168.0.2
    and you should get to the web config page. Otherwise, just reset the
    router and start over.


    --
    # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
  3. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
    > Flip over the WRT54G and scribble down the MAC address of the unit
    > (usually the LAN MAC address). I'll *ASSUME* that since you cleverly
    > set up a static IP address on the LAN side of your router, you also
    > setup a static IP address on your computah. These should be in the
    > same Class C IP block (i.e. 192.168.0.something), but should have
    > different values for something.

    > Open an MSDOS cmd or command window and run:
    > arp -s 192.168.0.2 00-aa-00-62-c6-09
    > where 192.168.0.2 is an IP address other than what you guess the
    > router is set for and the 00-aa-00-62-c6-09 is the MAC address of the
    > router. Then, just run:
    > http://192.168.0.2
    > and you should get to the web config page. Otherwise, just reset the
    > router and start over.

    I know that is the way that some devices get their initial IP address set,
    but I don't think it works consistently for this application.
    It didn't work for me just now.

    C:\>arp -d *
    C:\>arp -a
    Interface: 192.168.239.41 on Interface 0x1000004
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.239.9 00-04-ac-17-4f-db dynamic
    192.168.239.43 00-06-5b-3a-17-3b dynamic
    C:\>arp -s 192.168.239.99 00-50-18-00-61-b4
    C:\>ping 192.168.239.99
    Pinging 192.168.239.99 with 32 bytes of data:
    Request timed out.

    C:\>ping 192.168.239.113
    Pinging 192.168.239.113 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.239.113: bytes=32 time=15ms TTL=64

    C:\>arp -a

    Interface: 192.168.239.41 on Interface 0x1000004
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.239.9 00-04-ac-17-4f-db dynamic
    192.168.239.43 00-06-5b-3a-17-3b dynamic
    192.168.239.99 00-50-18-00-61-b4 static
    192.168.239.113 00-50-18-00-61-b4 dynamic

    It was not in my arp table.
    I used the -s to set it in my arp table, with an ip of 99.
    ping failed. ping to the address that it though it had, .113, worked.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 23:33:53 +0000 (UTC),
    dold@DetermineX.usenet.us.com wrote:

    (...)
    >It was not in my arp table.
    >I used the -s to set it in my arp table, with an ip of 99.
    >ping failed. ping to the address that it though it had, .113, worked.

    Weird. I just tried it with a few devices in my palatial office.
    Assigning a 2nd IP address to my DLink DI-614+ wireless router failed.
    No ping response. However, doing the same to my Netgear PS104 print
    server worked just fine (see below):

    C:\> arp -s 192.168.111.101 00-c0-02-30-20-23
    C:\> arp -a
    Interface: 192.168.111.153 on Interface 0x4
    Internet Address Physical Address Type
    192.168.111.84 00-c0-02-30-20-23 dynamic
    192.168.111.101 00-c0-02-30-20-23 static

    C:\> ping 192.168.111.101
    Pinging 192.168.111.101 with 32 bytes of data:
    Reply from 192.168.111.101: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=30
    Reply from 192.168.111.101: bytes=32 time=14ms TTL=30
    (etc).

    I just tried it with some ethernet and ISDN routers I happen to have
    within reach (RT311, RT328, RH348, P50). The RT311 did NOT work, but
    the other three work just fine. I also just tried it with a new
    Netgear MR-814v2. Doesn't work.

    Maybe that wasn't such a great idea. I'll sniff the packets and see
    what's happening, but later please.


    --
    # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
  5. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Jeff Liebermann <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:
    > Weird. I just tried it with a few devices in my palatial office.
    > Assigning a 2nd IP address to my DLink DI-614+ wireless router failed.
    > No ping response. However, doing the same to my Netgear PS104 print
    > server worked just fine (see below):

    The print server doesn't surprise me. How does the print server establish
    its IP address initially? I think it was a printserver where I first saw
    this cute trick. The current vogue of well known addresses like
    192.168.1.1 is handy, but devices used to come with no IP address set,
    expecting some configuration to be done via serial cable.
    I think the Multitech "proxy server" network-to-dialup gateway used this
    trick as well. I know my terminal server did, but I can't remember what
    brand that was. Annex? Linksys? I forget.

    ---
    Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
  6. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Go to a dos window and type in "IPCONFIG /ALL" and you will see all the ip
    addresses on your network in your class. To check the router plug directly
    into the router and use same command, making sure your network class is the
    same as your router,
    Could also ring the supplier or look up their website.
    It usually has it in the manual anyway and then you need the password to
    alter anything.

    "Another Newsgroup User" <not-a@real-email.com> wrote in message
    news:pybOc.222405$2o2.11498684@twister.southeast.rr.com...
    > I forgot to write down the static IP address that I entered on my Linksys
    > WRT54G. I don't use the DHCP server, or the WAN side - just using it as a
    > WAP.
    >
    > Is there an easy way to determine the IP address without resetting it? (I
    > have a lot of MAC address filtering enabled)
    >
    >
  7. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Sat, 31 Jul 2004 08:19:37 +1200, "PJB" <peter@selcom.co.nz> wrote:

    >Go to a dos window and type in "IPCONFIG /ALL" and you will see all the ip
    >addresses on your network in your class.

    Nope. That shows all the IP addresses associated with various
    interfaces on *YOUR* pc. IT does not show any IP's on machines other
    than your own.

    You can see some of the other machines with:
    apr -a
    but you have to ping or otherwise connect to them first.

    The easiest way is to use NMap:
    http://www.insecure.org/nmap/

    C:\NMap>nmap -sP 192.168.111.*

    Starting nmap 3.55 ( http://www.insecure.org/nmap ) at 2004-07-30
    14:52 Pacific
    Daylight Time
    Host comix.comix.santa-cruz.ca.us (192.168.111.1) appears to be up.
    Host cholesterol (192.168.111.10) appears to be up.
    Host cleanix.comix.santa-cruz.ca.us (192.168.111.33) appears to be up.
    Host ps104 (192.168.111.84) appears to be up.
    Host sloth (192.168.111.100) appears to be up.
    Host slither (192.168.111.101) appears to be up.
    Host DAVID (192.168.111.150) appears to be up.
    Host ZULIMDG9P3041 (192.168.111.155) appears to be up.
    Nmap run completed -- 256 IP addresses (8 hosts up) scanned in 104.250
    seconds


    --
    # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
  8. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 21:56:43 GMT, Jeff Liebermann
    <jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us> wrote:


    >The easiest way is to use NMap:
    > http://www.insecure.org/nmap/
    >
    >C:\NMap>nmap -sP 192.168.111.*

    Ugh... Far too slow.
    Try:
    nmap -T5 -sP 192.168.111.0/24
    Which works much faster on a LAN.

    The "111" is the what I use on my internal LAN. You're will be
    different (probably "0" or "1").


    --
    # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
  9. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    just reset the dang thang!

    jtm
  10. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    On Fri, 30 Jul 2004 18:47:02 -0400, "Jim Miller"
    <jim@NOSPAMjtmiller.com> wrote:

    >just reset the dang thang!
    >jtm

    If it were that easy, it would be no fun.


    --
    # Jeff Liebermann 150 Felker St #D Santa Cruz CA 95060
    # 831.336.2558 voice http://www.LearnByDestroying.com
    # jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # 831.421.6491 digital_pager jeffl@cruzio.com AE6KS
  11. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    but it is that easy!

    sorry to spoil the fun...

    jtm
  12. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    or download an IP scanner such as nmap.

    Dennis

    "Jim Miller" <jim@NOSPAMjtmiller.com> wrote in message
    news:RNGdndBJwZZ4DJbcRVn-pQ@comcast.com...
    > but it is that easy!
    >
    > sorry to spoil the fun...
    >
    > jtm
    >
    >
  13. Archived from groups: alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

    Jim Miller <jim@nospamjtmiller.com> wrote:
    > but it is that easy!

    What would have been easier would have been to note the IP address on a
    label on the WAP itself.
    Or use some suitable utility to "save" the config, so it wouldn't be
    painful to reset it all to factory defaults.


    --
    ---
    Clarence A Dold - Hidden Valley (Lake County) CA USA 38.8-122.5
Ask a new question

Read More

IP Address Wireless Networking