Going Retro: One Week with an old Classic!

BomberBill

Splendid
Jan 20, 2005
I spent Christmas, as most do, away with family and, as such, I was away from my home computer.

The old man's pc is a few years old, and the specs are just awful by today's standards, but what I found up there on the hard-drive was a long forgotten install of Unreal Tournament.

I must have put it on there years ago.

In between feeds of turkey and ham, I managed to load it up and was pleasantly surprised at just how much fun I was having with this timeless FPS classic. Having been a big fan of the UT franchise, I found myself actually enjoying it more than my recent copy of UT2004 EC edition. What was also interesting was that I am much better at the original than the sequels and it was tremendous to note just how great that game was for its time.

I bet everyone has a classic game or two that they still enjoy. I bought UT for $20; the entertainment value I've received from it over the years has truly been tremendous.

BigMac

Splendid
Nov 25, 2003
What was also interesting was that I am much better at the original than the sequels and it was tremendous to note just how great that game was for its time.

Hardly surprising, as you're an old fart (mentally speaking of course, that's what juice does to you my man, you age faster :p ).

What is surprising however is that you could still find other people to play this game with. Or did you just do single player? 8O

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
The "single player" aspect, along with the highly detatailed stats, is what made this such a great game for me. Those were some very well done bots. Still, it was satisfying to start a game with a friend and throw in some auto-adjust bots only to see later they had to jump to difficulty 10 to keep up. :wink: