Cleaning up Startup

How does one keep applications from automatically loading
on startup? Of late startup has been quite slow for me,
and I think that if I could keep a number of programs
from starting with Windows (like Cineplayer, AOL and the
like), startup would be faster.

Thanks,

Dean Mixon

Dean;
See #12 on this link:

Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Dean Mixon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> How does one keep applications from automatically loading
> on startup? Of late startup has been quite slow for me,
> and I think that if I could keep a number of programs
> from starting with Windows (like Cineplayer, AOL and the
> like), startup would be faster.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dean Mixon

Hi Dean

From Start>Run type

msconfig

then click on the startup tab. Uncheck any programs in there that you don't
want loading with Windows. Some programs may be launched with Windows from
within that program itself - and may not be listed in msconfig>startup.
Then reboot your system. You will see a message about System
Configuration - check the small box on the left hand side, although it will
appear again every time you edit those entries. To clear the unchecked
entries use the following:

Line 148 - right hand side

Will Denny
MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User
Please reply to the News Groups

"Dean Mixon" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| How does one keep applications from automatically loading
| on startup? Of late startup has been quite slow for me,
| and I think that if I could keep a number of programs
| from starting with Windows (like Cineplayer, AOL and the
| like), startup would be faster.
|
| Thanks,
|
| Dean Mixon

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

Dean,
Will's advice will work fine, but it's easier to use Startup Control Panel
which you can download (very quickly) at http://www.mlin.net/
This gives a better view of startup items and lets you disable them or
completely delete them very easily. msconfig is really ddesigned for
diagnostic troubleshooting. Kelly's clever work around lets you use it to
also delete start up items, but takes more steps.