Pavilion 8960 Drivers?

Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

Does anyone know where I can get drivers for the NIC, Video card and modem
that come with the Pavilion 8960 (running WinXP home) ? The HP website says:

Quote:
HP Pavilion systems with Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Use the
following steps to restore a software application or driver in Windows XP:

1.. Click Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and then Application Recovery.

2.. In the Recovery window, select either Drivers or Applications as
desired and click Next.

3.. Select the software driver or application that is to be reinstalled
and click Next.

End Quote:

The problem is that I have had a HD failure and have had to reinstall a new
OS on a new HD.

Help! Where can I get drivers from? Alternatively, does anyone know what
models the modem, NIC and VGA card are?

TIA

eddiec :-)
2 answers Last reply
More about pavilion 8960 drivers
  1. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

    The response to your posting applies to almost every HP Pavilion.

    HP does not value its customers who Pavilions enough to provide downloadable
    drivers on-line. (Sorry, Carly, but the emperor has no clothes.) Further, HP
    supports only the operating system version that was shipped with a Pavilion, but
    badly.

    So...

    First, look up your model of Pavilion on the HP web site, finding the Product
    Specifications, which requires three or four web pages to get to the REAL
    product specifications.

    Second, identify the major chips on the motherboard and inside the system.

    Third, go to the various web sites of the chipset manufacturers and download
    their reference drivers, i.e. the basic drivers provided by the chipset
    manufacturers to the name-brand companies like HP.

    According to the HP web site, your system has a VIA KM133 motherboard chipset,
    so download drivers from the VIA web site. The modem is not identified, so pull
    the modem from the computer and identify its major chipset, possibly PCTel.
    Graphics is an nVidia TNT2 M64, with drivers at nVidia's web site. Audio is
    provided by the Crystal CS4299 chip. You'll need to replace the HP RecorderNow
    CD burning software.

    See how easy HP makes it for you? Contact HP and request a restore CD for your
    model, P5350A. They are supposed to supply it at no charge on request. Why is
    a restore CD not in the box when you buy a Pavilion? Once again, HP does not
    value its customers enough to do so... Ben Myers

    On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 15:54:48 +1000, "eddiec" <chalk@netspace.net.au> wrote:

    >Does anyone know where I can get drivers for the NIC, Video card and modem
    >that come with the Pavilion 8960 (running WinXP home) ? The HP website says:
    >
    >Quote:
    >HP Pavilion systems with Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Use the
    >following steps to restore a software application or driver in Windows XP:
    >

    > 1.. Click Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and then Application Recovery.
    >
    > 2.. In the Recovery window, select either Drivers or Applications as
    >desired and click Next.
    >
    > 3.. Select the software driver or application that is to be reinstalled
    >and click Next.
    >
    >End Quote:
    >
    >The problem is that I have had a HD failure and have had to reinstall a new
    >OS on a new HD.
    >
    >Help! Where can I get drivers from? Alternatively, does anyone know what
    >models the modem, NIC and VGA card are?
    >
    >TIA
    >
    >eddiec :-)

  2. Archived from groups: comp.sys.hp,comp.sys.hp.hardware,comp.sys.hp.misc (More info?)

    Thanks Ben,

    I have actually had to reinstall Windows 98 as installing Win2K and XP did
    not work. (NT and its flavours seem to be more fussy about hardware glitches
    than Win98). Looks like I may be in for some fun.

    Eddie :-)

> [...]
    says:

    > >Quote:
    > >HP Pavilion systems with Windows XP do not come with recovery CDs. Use
    the
    > >following steps to restore a software application or driver in Windows
    XP:

    > > 1.. Click Start, All Programs, HP Tools, and then Application Recovery.
    > >
    > > 2.. In the Recovery window, select either Drivers or Applications as
    > >desired and click Next.
    > >
    > > 3.. Select the software driver or application that is to be reinstalled
    > >and click Next.
    > >
    > >End Quote:
    > >
    > >The problem is that I have had a HD failure and have had to reinstall a
    new
    > >OS on a new HD.
    > >
    > >Help! Where can I get drivers from? Alternatively, does anyone know what

Hewlett Packard Data Recovery Drivers Computers