bill

Hi all, I have a Dell computer and had to re-format and
re-install the Windows software. I have a Planar 19"
color monitor, yet when I re-installed Windows XP - Home
edition, it only has the lowest resolution monitor setting
option available. In other words, when I try to change
the resolution on the display properties-settings screen,
there are no choices for the resolution, only the
default. Planar was no help. Am I missing drivers or
something, and where can I get them? I have a nice high
quality, expensive monitor and not seeing the bemnefits of
having it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

Visit the website of the manufacturer of your video card, download and
install the latest Windows XP compatible drivers. If you have an onboard
video chip, then your motherboard manufacturer's website would have these
drivers.

And if you have a notebook or laptop PC, visit their website to download
the Windows XP video adapter drivers.

After installing the correct drivers, right-click on your Desktop and select:
Properties > Settings and change the Color Quality to Highest (32-bit),
then change the Screen Resolution to a suitable setting, then click Apply.

HOW TO: Change the Screen Refresh Rate of Your Monitor in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;311403&Product=winxp

Resources for troubleshooting display problems in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307960&Product=winxp

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"Bill" <billinvt@yahoo.com> wrote in message:

| Hi all, I have a Dell computer and had to re-format and
| re-install the Windows software. I have a Planar 19"
| color monitor, yet when I re-installed Windows XP - Home
| edition, it only has the lowest resolution monitor setting
| option available. In other words, when I try to change
| the resolution on the display properties-settings screen,
| there are no choices for the resolution, only the
| default. Planar was no help. Am I missing drivers or
| something, and where can I get them? I have a nice high
| quality, expensive monitor and not seeing the bemnefits of
| having it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

Mike

Splendid

It is a video card driver that you should install..

"Bill" <billinvt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have a Dell computer and had to re-format and
> re-install the Windows software. I have a Planar 19"
> color monitor, yet when I re-installed Windows XP - Home
> edition, it only has the lowest resolution monitor setting
> option available. In other words, when I try to change
> the resolution on the display properties-settings screen,
> there are no choices for the resolution, only the
> default. Planar was no help. Am I missing drivers or
> something, and where can I get them? I have a nice high
> quality, expensive monitor and not seeing the bemnefits of
> having it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

papa

Go to the website for the graphics card you have and download/install the
latest driver.

Did you know that using your real email address in newsgroup posts invites
spam mail?

"Bill" <billinvt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have a Dell computer and had to re-format and
> re-install the Windows software. I have a Planar 19"
> color monitor, yet when I re-installed Windows XP - Home
> edition, it only has the lowest resolution monitor setting
> option available. In other words, when I try to change
> the resolution on the display properties-settings screen,
> there are no choices for the resolution, only the
> default. Planar was no help. Am I missing drivers or
> something, and where can I get them? I have a nice high
> quality, expensive monitor and not seeing the bemnefits of
> having it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

It has to do with your video driver, go to the manufacturer's web site and download
the newest graphic driver. If you aren't sure what graphic card you have, right-click
the desktop, properties, settings tab, advanced button, adapter tab. It will tell you
what adapter you have.

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Bill" <billinvt@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> Hi all, I have a Dell computer and had to re-format and
> re-install the Windows software. I have a Planar 19"
> color monitor, yet when I re-installed Windows XP - Home
> edition, it only has the lowest resolution monitor setting
> option available. In other words, when I try to change
> the resolution on the display properties-settings screen,
> there are no choices for the resolution, only the
> default. Planar was no help. Am I missing drivers or
> something, and where can I get them? I have a nice high
> quality, expensive monitor and not seeing the bemnefits of
> having it! Any help would be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

Bill,
My guess is it's you video card driver that needs updating.
From the Admin account, right click on 'My Computer', click 'properties',
then the 'hardware' tab, then 'device manager'.
Click the cross beside 'Display Adapter'. You may see a default one there,
and the actual one installed also.
When you know the type you have, go to the manufacturer's website and
download the latest driver available.
You may want to do the same for your Planar monitor.
At the websites, look for a link named 'drivers', downloads' or 'support' to
find your software.
Once you have them installed and working and know they're correct, save the
downloaded drivers to CD if possible in
case you need them again.
Hope this helps,
Chek

--
Change' boos' to 'bos' in address to email directly