xTROJAN_VIRUSx

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2002
ASUS A7S333 w/ Athlon 1800+ XP Processor, i already got a case with a 300 Watt, will a 300 Watt do or do i need to go higher? Would Appreciate Your Input.
Ty

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My recommendation for a PSU's minimum specifications, <i>regardless</i> of the wattage, especially with a GeForce video card:

20A = +3.3v line
30A = +5v line
165W for the combined +3.3v/+5v power.

Anything less, and the system could end up being underpowered, depending on the hardware.

Good brands:

Enermax, Leadman, Sparkle, PC Power & Cooling, and the new Antec TruePower. Preferably a model with dual-fans for additional cooling.

Toejam31

<font color=red>First Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=17935" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Devastating Dalek Destroyer</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Some push the envelope. Some just lick it. And some can't find the flap."</font color=purple>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Personally I would go higher than 300 watts. My feeling is you can't have too much power but you can have too little power.

I'm starting to hear good things about the Antec TruePower. I like the concept of truly isolated +3.3 and +5 volt rails. Some people like the near silent fans but the low RPMs don't do much for case cooling. I need a new power supply so I might try one, myself.

I also like Enermax power supplies but my old 330 watter is overtaxed on the +5 volt rail and is running at 4.71-4.78 volts. It doesn't have a trim POT so I'll either get a newer design, 430 watt Enermax or one of the Antec TruePower PSUs.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>