Wireless Access Point advice please.

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 1:50:22 AM

Hello, Please can you help a Wireless Networking pleb with some advice.

I have a BELKIN 54g F5D7630UK Adsl Wireless Router in the front bedroom of
my house which is hardwired on the network to this computer. I have also run
a network cable (pre wireless days) to a computer in the back bedroom. I
also have a summerhouse in the garden which is around 60 feet away which I
am using a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Notebook Network card.

The problem is the Notebook card is only getting 1Mbs signal and keeps
dropping out of the network and loosing the internet signal, there are 3
solid brick walls between the Wireless Router and the laptop. I have heard
about wireless aerials that connect to the back of my router but I cannot
see any way of attaching this to the Belkin router as both aerials on the
router cannot be removed to attach a aerial.

If I connected the lead going to computer in the back bedroom to a Belkin
54g F5D7130UK Wireless Access point which would only need to transmit
through a double glazed window, would that increase the footprint to the
summerhouse to give me a decent signal that would not drop. This would be
about 20ft closer to the summerhouse.

I know the ideal solution would be to hardwire the summerhouse to the
network, but that would limit me to using the laptop in only one place.

I thank you for your help in advance.

Letch
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 1:50:23 AM

> I have a BELKIN 54g F5D7630UK Adsl Wireless Router in the front bedroom of
> my house which is hardwired on the network to this computer. I have also
run
> a network cable (pre wireless days) to a computer in the back bedroom. I
> also have a summerhouse in the garden which is around 60 feet away which I
> am using a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Notebook Network card.
>
> The problem is the Notebook card is only getting 1Mbs signal and keeps
> dropping out of the network and loosing the internet signal, there are 3
> solid brick walls between the Wireless Router and the laptop. I have heard
> about wireless aerials that connect to the back of my router but I cannot
> see any way of attaching this to the Belkin router as both aerials on the
> router cannot be removed to attach a aerial.
>
> If I connected the lead going to computer in the back bedroom to a Belkin
> 54g F5D7130UK Wireless Access point which would only need to transmit
> through a double glazed window, would that increase the footprint to the
> summerhouse to give me a decent signal that would not drop. This would be
> about 20ft closer to the summerhouse.

Line of sight is important, so if there is LOS in the back bedroom better
than the front then yes.
You can do a test by temporally moving the router that you already have.

If you have success,and get the second router, use the same SSID and
different channels at least 5 apart (1, 6) or they will interfere with each
other.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 1:50:24 AM

"scram" <scram@anon.com> wrote in message

> > I have a BELKIN 54g F5D7630UK Adsl Wireless Router in the front bedroom
of
> > my house which is hardwired on the network to this computer. I have also
> run
> > a network cable (pre wireless days) to a computer in the back bedroom. I
> > also have a summerhouse in the garden which is around 60 feet away which
> > am using a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Notebook Network card.
> >
> > The problem is the Notebook card is only getting 1Mbs signal and keeps
> > dropping out of the network and loosing the internet signal, there are 3
> > solid brick walls between the Wireless Router and the laptop. I have
heard
> > about wireless aerials that connect to the back of my router but I
cannot
> > see any way of attaching this to the Belkin router as both aerials on
the
> > router cannot be removed to attach a aerial.
> >
> > If I connected the lead going to computer in the back bedroom to a
Belkin
> > 54g F5D7130UK Wireless Access point which would only need to transmit
> > through a double glazed window, would that increase the footprint to the
> > summerhouse to give me a decent signal that would not drop. This would
be
> > about 20ft closer to the summerhouse.
>
> Line of sight is important, so if there is LOS in the back bedroom better
> than the front then yes.
> You can do a test by temporally moving the router that you already have.
>
> If you have success,and get the second router, use the same SSID and
> different channels at least 5 apart (1, 6) or they will interfere with
each
> other.

What specifically are you getting as a signal strength - in % or number of
bars?

What is your signal to noise ratio? You can use the free network stumbler
software with many wireless cards to gather this info.

It may be that you just don't have enough signal strength.

It may be that you have too much noise.

It may be both.

If the signal strength is too low, what you recommend will likely help.

If the noise level is too high, a directional antenna, or cantenna might
help to reduce the interference.

--
Bob Alston

---
a b F Wireless
July 30, 2004 1:43:59 PM

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:50:22 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Letchford"
<c.letchford@knickers.btinternet.com> wrote :

>Hello, Please can you help a Wireless Networking pleb with some advice.
>
>I have a BELKIN 54g F5D7630UK Adsl Wireless Router in the front bedroom of
>my house which is hardwired on the network to this computer. I have also run
>a network cable (pre wireless days) to a computer in the back bedroom. I
>also have a summerhouse in the garden which is around 60 feet away which I
>am using a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Notebook Network card.
>
>The problem is the Notebook card is only getting 1Mbs signal and keeps
>dropping out of the network and loosing the internet signal, there are 3
>solid brick walls between the Wireless Router and the laptop. I have heard
>about wireless aerials that connect to the back of my router but I cannot
>see any way of attaching this to the Belkin router as both aerials on the
>router cannot be removed to attach a aerial.
>
>If I connected the lead going to computer in the back bedroom to a Belkin
>54g F5D7130UK Wireless Access point which would only need to transmit
>through a double glazed window, would that increase the footprint to the
>summerhouse to give me a decent signal that would not drop. This would be
>about 20ft closer to the summerhouse.
>
>I know the ideal solution would be to hardwire the summerhouse to the
>network, but that would limit me to using the laptop in only one place.
>
>I thank you for your help in advance.

Go here: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/

20 min work to make a corner reflector which sits on the antenna.

If your router has 2 antenna, make two.

You only need some cardboard and alfoil.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

"Peter Wilkins" <wilkinsp_nospam@delete_ozemail.com.au> wrote in message
On Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:50:22 +0000 (UTC), "Colin Letchford"
<c.letchford@knickers.btinternet.com> wrote :

>Hello, Please can you help a Wireless Networking pleb with some advice.
>
>I have a BELKIN 54g F5D7630UK Adsl Wireless Router in the front bedroom of
>my house which is hardwired on the network to this computer. I have also
run
>a network cable (pre wireless days) to a computer in the back bedroom. I
>also have a summerhouse in the garden which is around 60 feet away which I
>am using a laptop with a Belkin 802.11g Wireless Notebook Network card.
>
>The problem is the Notebook card is only getting 1Mbs signal and keeps
>dropping out of the network and loosing the internet signal, there are 3
>solid brick walls between the Wireless Router and the laptop. I have heard
>about wireless aerials that connect to the back of my router but I cannot
>see any way of attaching this to the Belkin router as both aerials on the
>router cannot be removed to attach a aerial.
>
>If I connected the lead going to computer in the back bedroom to a Belkin
>54g F5D7130UK Wireless Access point which would only need to transmit
>through a double glazed window, would that increase the footprint to the
>summerhouse to give me a decent signal that would not drop. This would be
>about 20ft closer to the summerhouse.
>
>I know the ideal solution would be to hardwire the summerhouse to the
>network, but that would limit me to using the laptop in only one place.
>
>I thank you for your help in advance.

Go here: http://www.freeantennas.com/projects/Ez-10/

20 min work to make a corner reflector which sits on the antenna.

If your router has 2 antenna, make two.

You only need some cardboard and alfoil.
--
Regards,
Peter Wilkins

Peter

Thank you.

It seems all those years lusting after Janet Ellis was not all in vain, in
true Blue Peter stylee I made these antennas this morning.

I have had the internet and have been connected to the network for well over
10 hours without any break in signal.

I was mainly getting 5.5 mbs during the day and down to 2 mbs. in the
evening.

Again thank you for your advice.

Regards

Letch