Nvidia CEO: Fermi to Hit the ''Full Stride'' in Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
well good news about that it will be quadro and tesla as i'll want those later on for my workstation, but i also want the geforce for gaming...nothing will be purchased until they are compared with ati 5000series and when the release their new workstation card hopefully

The 40nm process has turned out be one of the worst headaches for nvidia while constant supply problems for the 58x0 as well the 5970 continue. It is a shame that they had to give up the side port feature on the R870 to keep the die size down.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
"For the entry-level products, the truth is that the new architectures […] are probably not extremely well appreciated anyhow. […] Our current-generation GPUs are fabulous and all the things that mainstream consumers would use their computer for.""

hmmm... so does that mean ...... no DX11 on entry-level products... how entry are we talking about? sub 200? sub 150? or sub 100?

Does that also mean... there will be more renaming of older GPU in the entry-level products?

hmm..... that does not sound right to me...>_<

neblogai

Distinguished
Bad thing: there is no competition in DX11 market, and prices of ATi hardware do not go down.
Good thing: My HD4850 still rules, and a comparable (by speed) HD5750 costs the same as 4850 cost me a year ago.
Fermi? Not interested in it itself, but I would welcome it - I want to see some competition.

G

1st!!
btw what he mean by "For the entry-level products, the truth is that the new architectures […] are probably not extremely well appreciated anyhow. […] Our current-generation GPUs are fabulous and all the things that mainstream consumers would use their computer for.""

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
Blah blah blah!

All this brouhaha will soon become wimp-wimp-wimp and sob-sob-sob...

ATI will launch improvements on the 5xxx series through drivers. By the time Fermi will be available, ATI has already captured all the DX11 market, and possibly come out with another "BANG!"

Possibly an HD6XXX Series will also be avialable by then

Fermi: sob-sob-sob

I'm done with nVidia.

G

According to Charlie Demerjian, Fermi is "Unfixable."

http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/02/17/nvidias-fermigtx480-broken-and-unfixable/

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
"The Fermi energy is a concept in quantum mechanics usually referring to the energy of the highest occupied quantum state in a system of fermions at absolute zero temperature.

Note that the term "Fermi energy" is often, confusingly, used to describe a different but closely-related concept, the Fermi level (also called chemical potential).[1] The Fermi energy and chemical potential are the same at absolute zero."

Make sense, no sales for nVidia this year - Absolute Zero Sales

With the GTX2xx out of production the only thing they have left that is reliable is the G92 that has any real performance. I feel sorry for Nvidia this is one of the worst turn outs that they ever had. Well for us gamers the next thing to wait for is the Radeon 6xx0 cards which is great for me with prices on used 5xx0 cards going down.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]sanchz[/nom]ATI will be releasing the 6000 series by the end of this year, so nVidia is really in bad shape right now.[/citation]
That would be impressive. From what I've heard ATI's next gen GPU will be a newly designed architecture concentrating on the strengths and new features found in DX11 (much like gf100), and not just an expansion on an existing architecture (hd2900xt-hd5870). Seeing how much R&D, money, and time it took Nvidia to produce the architecture behind the GTX480/470 (converting much of the GPU to 'out of order'), I would be truly amazed if ATI can do similar by the end of the year.

gladiator_mohaa

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2009
Well I did not want to wait to upgrade so I ended up buying my first ATI card the 5870. Besides, would the price of the FERMI be under 600? Probably not knowing that the GPU market is inflated right now and production sounds like it is going to start out slow. I have always been happy with Nvidia, just waiting and price gives it to ATI this time. I am very happy with my 5870 to!

jlyu

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Haha, i had a crappy 3450, so i just purchased a 4850 for $79. saved a bit of money i'll get a dx11 card later when prices go lower or more are created

Impulse Fire911

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Nvidia does not seem to be very worried that ATI is making big money right now. In fact, i dont even think they have tried to hurry this is up too much. I own a 5850 and by all means its amazing but think of it in this perspective:
4870x2 vs gtx 295 is a fair comparison and the gtx wins. the 4870 vs the gtx 285 or gtx 260 and the gtx wins. sure, ATI might have cards now that can beat it but i have a gut feeling Nvidia isnt releasing too much because they have a lot of power in their new card. dont get me wrong i love ATI and have used only their cards for years but from simple specualtion nvidia has won over and over and i think they will again. sure, ATI is a great bang for the buck but for those who need raw horsepower i think they ownt be dissappointed. i mean they even said it could get 70C on one card. cmon my 5850 at OC speeds of past 5870 doesnt get past 35. we can only wait and see.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]hotsacoman[/nom]http://www.semiaccurate.com/2010/0 [...] unfixable/[/citation]
Hotsacoman, hat was an excellent recommendation! I read it and I'm blown away. Thank you for sharing! Cheers.

Well, interesting you compare the 285 to the 4870, while the 4890 beats the 280 in most games, and does very well against the 285, and the newer drivers put the 4870x2 very close to the 295, with wins here and there as well.
I think nVidia plays catch up, then charge too much, if we want to look at whos "cheap" or not. nVidia then is "overpriced"
I dont believe ATI is second fiddle, and Ill be surprised if nVidia does have a solution to those "bang for buck" 5970s

[citation][nom]JLyu[/nom]well good news about that it will be quadro and tesla as i'll want those later on for my workstation, but i also want the geforce for gaming...nothing will be purchased until they are compared with ati 5000series and when the release their new workstation card hopefully[/citation]

Its sad how few people would actually wait. Then if Fermi is that good, they will get sad that they can't fford to or have to pay for a better GPU.

[citation][nom]jaydeejohn[/nom]Nice prebuilt excuse and blame here. Weve been waiting since October, yes were ready, so has DX11 been ready[/citation]

Yea it happens. No big deal. R600 was quite late and completely changed. Was supposed to have 3 versions at launch: HD2900 Pro, XT and XTX. We got XT and about 6 months later, Pro but none were the spec stated.

And DX11, as nice as it looks it is still not a viable reason to buy a GPU. I say in late 2010, early 2011 it will be but by then there will probably only be DX11 cards.

4745454b

Titan
"Our current-generation GPUs are fabulous and all the things that mainstream consumers would use their computer for."

Except run DX11 code.

As for how entry level, this could be everthing but the high end. Fermi at this point in time is the GTX480/460. Ever other card will be a rebadged lower card. Its possible that the only DX11 cards Nvidia will have this year will be these two. What price remains to be seen, but it doesn't look good for people who want to buy Nvidia cards for

Status
Not open for further replies.