Your personal Top 5 all-time

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
OK, just finished the Half-Life best game thread, and figured it was time to do an all-time greats list. Gimme your Top 5 personal faves, all time, all platforms. No flames please, just animated discussions... :lol:

Mine are:
1) World of Warcraft (PC)
2) Starcraft (PC)
3) Escape from Castle Wolfenstein (apple II)
4) Dark Castle (Mac)
5) Diablo I/II (PC)

My most important factors here were stickiness (how long I would continue to play), sheer fun, challenge, and replayability. Fire away ladies and gents - let's hear your thoughts!

PS - I do NOT work for Blizzard, I just happen to really enjoy most of their games!

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Hmm, tough one, lets see.
I will have to base this one on games that exemplified their given genre.

1. Fallout 1/2 (PC) - RPG
2. Warhammer 40k Dawn of War (PC) - RTS
3. Tribes (PC) - FPS
4. Elite 2 Frontier (PC/Amiga/?) - Space Sim
5. Dead Rising (XBox360) - Action game

The competition was fierce, especially in the RTS and RPG genres. These are all games I completely lost myself in for months at a time and none of them are even MMOs.

cafuddled

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
1) Final Fantasy 7
2) Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater
3) Half Life + Counter Strike
4) Civilization (all of them really they just keep getting better with each new rendition)
5) Total War

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I'm reorganizing it in a list by category.

FPS:
Unreal Tournament/2004 (PC)
Half Life & 2 (PC)
Goldeneye (N64)
Duke Nukem (N64)
Battlefield 2 (PC) As buggy as it still is, it's still a great game.

Strategy:
Starcraft/Brood War (PC)
Command & Conquer Red Alert (PC)
Homeworld/Cataclysm (PC)

RPG:
Phantasy Star 4 (Sega Genesis)
Chrono Trigger (SNES)
Oblivion (PC)
Guild Wars (PC)
Diablo 1 & 2 & LoD (PC)

I especially love my games that DON'T require a CD, like ut2k4, guild wars, and half life, I rather have a program like Steam than placing a freaking CD/DVD (which I gotta find in a freakin pile, those arent the only games I play) in the 1 dvd drive I have!

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
There's only three I can give you with any real guarantee that they won't change on a whim, so in no particular order:

The Longest Journey
Half-Life 2
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Five is an awfully large number to fill though...

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
There's only three I can give you with any real guarantee that they won't change on a whim...Five is an awfully large number to fill though...

I've got the same problem:

Half-Life 1/2
Deus Ex

Plenty more I like, but I've very picky as to what I put in my top five. Here's more (intentionally exhaustive) favorites, maybe they'll help other people come up with theirs...

PC:
Doom 2
Quake 1/2
Unreal Tournament
Neverwinter Nights
The Secret of Monkey Island
Rama
The Sims
Jump n Bump
Chex Quest

Xbox 360:
Geometery Wars
Marble Blast Ultra
Kameo
Oblivion
Tomb Raider: Legend

Xbox:
Dead or Alive 3
Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee
Project Gotham Racing
Tony Hawk Pro Skater 2x
Wrekless
Knights of the Old Republic

NES:
Mario 1-3
Mike Tyson's Punchout
Metal Gear
Battletoads
Basewars

Amiga:
Sim City
Populous
Globulous

Palm:
Kyle's Quest

Genesis:
James Pond 3

Game Gear, Nintendo DS, PocketPC:
Nothing sticks out. :(

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Yeah, it pretty much is a Point & Click. =)

The sequel just came out this week. (and the Japanese release with an incomplete English translation with lots of typos & the un-trans-culture-formed puns & figures of speech has been available for import for a while now)

It's funnier than Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge!

troy88

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
PC:
shogun:total war
age of empires II
Diablo II
knights of the realm 4
stronghold

Console:
final fantasy tactics
final fantasy X
Madden 07
breath of fire IV
final fantasy VII

This may sound a little weird but i think each one of the games has affected my personality and life in some way....

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
This may sound a little weird but i think each one of the games has affected my personality and life in some way....

You're right, Troy -- that did sound weird. But hey, I applaud your honesty.

I can't pick just five. I mean, how can you? Looks like Guru, Info and Cafuddled are the only three that have stuck to five, and I salute them. I can't. No way.

Console
Castlvania
Contra
Star Fox 64
Mario Kart 64
Street Fighter II
Mortal Kombat II
GoldenEye 007
Metal Gear Solid
Resident Evil 4
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay
God of War

PC
Doom
Castle Wolfenstein
Deus Ex
Half-Life
Starcraft
Half-Life 2
Call of Duty

F.E.A.R., Company of Heroes, and Oblivion are all climbing the charts.[/quote]

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
RobWright likes the First Person Shooter genre... =)

Sh*t, you're right. Rob Wright does like his FPS games, which is weird because most of my friends think I'm anti-FPS because I don't really care for Halo and BF2. Go figure. But I'm definitely in an FPS cycle right now having moved on from fantasy and RPGs in the 90s.

Confession time: I've never played Fallout. Is the game too dated to appreciate it now or should I give it a try?

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Great games are never too dated, as long as you can still get them to run. I didn't play Monkey Island when it first came out. PC Gamer gave it to me for free. Then I rushed to work at EB and picked up the Curse of Monkey Island. Came bundled with the first two. GTs.

But I'm definitely in an RPG cycle right now having moved on from sci-fi and FPSs in the 90s.

Oh yeah, I forgot James Pond 3. Great Genesis game. Added.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
RobWright likes the First Person Shooter genre... =)

Sh*t, you're right. Rob Wright does like his FPS games, which is weird because most of my friends think I'm anti-FPS because I don't really care for Halo and BF2. Go figure. But I'm definitely in an FPS cycle right now having moved on from fantasy and RPGs in the 90s.

Confession time: I've never played Fallout. Is the game too dated to appreciate it now or should I give it a try?

The graphics are dated, but the gameplay has not been trumped by new features that make it unbearable yet if that is what you mean.

I went back and replayed Fallout 1/2 just a couple months ago, but I have a HUGE tolerance for old graphics. If the graphics on the back of the box don't scare you off, go for it.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
The graphics are dated, but the gameplay has not been trumped by new features that make it unbearable yet if that is what you mean.

I went back and replayed Fallout 1/2 just a couple months ago, but I have a HUGE tolerance for old graphics. If the graphics on the back of the box don't scare you off, go for it.

Sweet, I'm in. Just send me your copy :wink:

Wolfy

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2003
Trying to think of them and it's a toughie to say cos I've way more than 5.

In no particular order:

Operation Flashpoint.
Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butchers Bay.
Zelda: Link to the Past/ Ocarina of Time.
Goldeneye (Next to Zelda LTTP in terms of hours played, I could do most levels with my eyes closed towards the end).
Eve Online cos I've been playing solidly now for 1 yr and 3ish months and I've no intention of stopping atm.

guruofchem

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2006
The graphics in Fallout are dated by now, but great games are rarely defined by their graphics alone - Fallout is just a fun game to play, and I find that the graphics are irrelevant to my enjoyment of it.

The bundled version containing 1 and 2 still shows up on the bargain shelves with regularity (pretty good for a game that old!), so you should be able to find it fairly readily - enjoy!

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
Like many posters, my "favourite" games seem to change daily. I guess one way to decide is to look at what 5 games you've played the most. In my case...

Civilisation 2
Age of Empires 2
Caesar 3
Football Manager (2007 at the moment)
Pro-Evolution soccer (6 at the moment)
'X' series of games (X3 and counting...)
Master of Orion 2

That's 7 isn't it? ah heck. Galactic Civilisations 2:Dread Lords deserves to be on there too, but I haven't owned it long enough for it to qualify on the time spent criteria :wink:

antikristuseke

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Best 5 games ever made in my view...hmm, this is a tough one.

1. Fallout 1/2 (just have to point out that Tactics sucked bigtime)
2. System Shock 2
3. Silent Hunter 3
4. GT Legends
5. Sudden Strike or Blitzkrieg cant decide

Edit: Bah cant keep the list this short, allso must give honorary mention to Day of the Tentacles, Operation Flashpoint, Deus Ex (deffinately not the second one), the Total War series, Gal civ 2, Homeworld 2, Gothic series, Hearts of Iron 1 and 2, Toca 3, Dune 2, Soldier of Fortune 1 and some more i cant quite remember right now.