Migrating files & settings

How do you use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" if the new
computer (notebook) does not have a serial port, but only USB
ports? Can you use a USB cable betwen the old and new machines
for the wizard?

Thanks.

George

P.S. Pls. reply in newsgroup; e-mail address is invalid.
4 answers Last reply
More about migrating files settings

    File transfer only copys user data not os data,the best way is to open the
    wizard in old,set as old,transfer data to a folder you create(browse button),
    when its thru,transfer data to a cd.A cable really isnt needed,actually this
    way youre also creating a backup for yourself.

    "George" wrote:

    > How do you use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" if the new
    > computer (notebook) does not have a serial port, but only USB
    > ports? Can you use a USB cable betwen the old and new machines
    > for the wizard?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > George
    >
    > P.S. Pls. reply in newsgroup; e-mail address is invalid.

    you can get a network cable with usb at one end and rj45 at the other end.
    it should work perfectly.

    hope this helps.
    --
    Regards,
    Dennis Lazo

    the email address from where this message has been sent from is unmonitored.
    your replies may not be received. replies may be sent at
    http://dennislazo.com/email/.
    information herein is provided as is with no warranties, and confers no
    rights.

    "George" <null@null.51> wrote in message
    > How do you use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" if the new
    > computer (notebook) does not have a serial port, but only USB
    > ports? Can you use a USB cable betwen the old and new machines
    > for the wizard?
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > George
    >
    > P.S. Pls. reply in newsgroup; e-mail address is invalid.

    Thanks, Dennis, for the reply. The old machine has a serial port,
    parallel port, and USB ports, but no rj45. Is there such a thing
    as a cable with serial connector at one end and USB connector at
    the other? If so, would this work for the Files and Settings
    Transfer?

    George

    "George" <null@null.51> wrote:

    >How do you use the "Files and Settings Transfer Wizard" if the new
    >computer (notebook) does not have a serial port, but only USB
    >ports? Can you use a USB cable betwen the old and new machines
    >for the wizard?

    Notebook. That complicates things a bit.

    You can buy a special USB cable for connecting two computers (I
    believe that Belkin is one maker who produces them).

    Or you can use a parallel port LapLink cable for the transfer.
    Moving a large amount of data via a serial port cable would be
    extremely time consuming.

    A couple of other ideas.

    If you are going to be keeping the old laptop then it might be
    worthwhile considering the purchase of a PC Card Network Adapter for
    it. You can get pretty good prices on the Microsoft ones now if you
    can find a store that has them in stock. They have been discontinued
    by Microsoft and they were being cleared out at bargain basement
    prices.

    Or if you are handy with hardware you might want to consider acquiring
    an adapter to connect your laptop's 2.5 inch IDE drive to a standard
    3.5 inch desktop IDE connector. You could then:
    1. Use FASTW on the laptop and save the resulting file in a new folder
    named C:\Transfer.
    2. Remove the hard drive from the laptop and connect it temporarily as
    a second hard drive in the new machine using the special adapter. If
    you connect it to the secondary IDE channel in the new computer
    (usually best done by unplugging the data and power cables from the
    CDROM drive and using these for the temporary drive) you avoid any
    problems with drive jumpers etc.
    3. Power up the new computer and run FASTW on it to import the saved
    data file.

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --