Building First Computer, Need Help Please.

justgotwicked

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2002
I am building a new computer. Its my first time building a system from scratch. Is there a websight that has detailed info on how to build a computer from the ground up. I have found some with very outdated info. Here are my specs. I would appreciate any suggestions-changes.

Gigabyte GA-8IHXP 533fsb Motherboard
Pentium4 2.4ghz 533mhz
1066 Rdram OCZ Tech.
Xtasy 4600 Geoforce4 or ATI 9700 Graphics.
Sony 3.5 floppy Drive.
TDK Velocd Burner 40x12x48
Sony g500 21' Monitor
Soundblaster Audigy Platinum
Klipsch 5.1 speaker system
Western Digital 120gb 8mb buffer Hard Drive.
Antec 880 Plus Tower w 430watt Power Supply

I am building this mainly for a gaming system. Any suggestion, or help would be appreciated.

Search the boards here.

Lots of info to be gained.

Ask pertinent questions and get silly answers...j/k.

<b><font color=blue>~ BIOS SETTINGS: Fast, Hot, Unstable...That ought to work. ~</font color=blue></b> :wink:

eqmassa

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2002
HD: Why not just get a Maxtor D740X? I doubt you'll notice a speed increase as a gamer with the 8mb cache on the WD. Just in case, you can follow this thread I set up: http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=53252#53252

MB: I've heard lots of bad things about new Gigaabyte boards. I'd go with Asus, Abit, or MSI personally.

Sound Card: Go with a Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. Creative is falling from its throne. You'll save time and money with this card.

Gaming PC in progress, suggestions welcome :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good choice of parts! That board is top notch! But I think I'd go with the Kingston PC1066.

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
good mobo good cpu
Samsung or kingston are better choice
Geforce 4 is a overprice and slow compare to 9700 also ati get better and better.
Floppy drive/cd burner/cdrom get the cheapest around but that my personnal choice.
Sound card no need for a audigy platinium a lower model will do the job.
good case good power supply.
WD 120 gb fast drive but do you really need all of that.

The day i meet a goth queen that tell me Intel suck.I turn in a lemming to fill is need in hardware.