[SOLVED] Is "Mac" memory actually any different?

Status
Not open for further replies.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished
Planning to purchase new 4x4gb 10600 memory to upgrade a new i5 Mac mini. I think that "mac" branded memory is BS and was planning to buy one of the well-priced GSKILL laptop kits -- but for peace of mind I want to check and I want to be certain that "mac" memory is not actually different from PC memory in some way I don't realize.

Solution
It's standard RAM; As long as you have read and understand the "Apple" RAM spec, anything that matches should work, "Apple" certified RAM is is just guaranteed to work.
If you are planning to purchase 4x4Gig sticks for a Mini, I'd suggest you re-read the spec.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
It's standard RAM; As long as you have read and understand the "Apple" RAM spec, anything that matches should work, "Apple" certified RAM is is just guaranteed to work.
If you are planning to purchase 4x4Gig sticks for a Mini, I'd suggest you re-read the spec.

Solution

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
No. Not different in the microchip sense, but it has been verified to work on a mac, that's all.

To be honest, there is hardly a difference. I doubt normal RAM won't work on Macs. If anything they should becaus if I were Apple and really wanted to stop people upgrading their RAM, all RAM that worked would be branded Apple or soldered directly onto the PCB (in case of MBA)

They just like to charge a premium on it.

It's like printer ink cartridge warranty.

Peace of mind, piece of paycheck.

deadlockedworld

Distinguished

Hah! i meant 2x4. Thanks.

JustSomeJoe

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2008
When I upgraded the RAM in my 2010 Mini, an official "Apple" upgrade kit (in the UK) was £300, buying a matched pair of (value select) RAM sticks was £150, buying (Good Quality) individual RAM sticks cost me £70; guess which one I bought.

leandrodafontoura

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
If you get the specs right, any memory will probably work. Open your computer and read the info on the RAM modules. Nevertheless, Memory manufactures have listed on their webiste MAC compatible memory (they even specify the model and year), and you may also check http://eshop.macsales.com/ these moduels are not overpriced in comparison to Apple's online store

molly_dog

Honorable
Oct 17, 2013
Just to beat more of the pooey out of this pitiful, long-dead horse, I gather from all your responses then that the converse is also true? That Mac RAM of the same specs will work in a PC, as well?

Sorry to be dense. I'm having an off year......

mrmez

Splendid

Not quite.
I bought perfectly spec'd ram for my MBP and it didn't work.
Had to return it for a different brand, exact same spec, just 'made for mac'

If you don't buy 'made for mac', there is a chance it won't work.

Status
Not open for further replies.