GA-8IHXP-Boot Distress

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
I'm building my first system and have assembled the following components: GA-8IHXP, 2.4P4, 2 256-1066x18(ECC) Kingston sticks, Gainward 4600 Video card, Enermax 550W PSU as well as the other components (drives, sound card, floppy). After I put them all together and turned on the PSU, nothing happened except that the ram led lit up. No fans--no beeps. After going through the usual remedies, removing all possibilities of shorts, reassembling the board out side of the case on an antistatic foam matt, swapping the PSU, reseating the cpu and the ram chips still results in just the RAM LED light/without fans :^( I tried the battery/CMOS trick to no avail. I've noticed going through the archives that others were having problems with the Gigabyte MoBo, but any like this? Any ideas???

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Maybe you have them in the wrong slots? Did you also make sure you used the two CRIMMs in the empty slots?

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
Thanks for the reply! I placed the 2 sticks in the first two slots closest to the CPU then filled the other two slots with crimms. No go! Then I put the two RAM sticks in slots 3 and 4 (and the crimms in 1 and 2). Still "no joy". I then went back to the original configuration and tried resetting the battery without results. After no change, I wrote to the forum. Any other ideas?

Jim

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wait a minute, did you try hitting the power button (assuming it works and is connected)?

<font color=blue>By now you're probably wishing you had ask more questions first!</font color=blue>

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
LOL! Yes, the case wires have been connected. No lights on the panel and no signs of power to the MoBo except the RAM LED light. It has to be me. Maybe I'm not holding my jaw right :^)

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
perhaps (grasping at straws) the power switch is faulty? Did you try shorting the 2 pins on the mobo with a screwdriver?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

R_o_b

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2002
Have you connected the secondary 4 pin (yellow and black) power connectrot the the socket on the top left of the gigbyte board.

It dosnt seem to care on a 1.7ghz GA-8IDX board.. but i have seen problems with a 2ghz

-rob

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
Hi guys--thanks for the suggestions! Yes, the 4 pin ATX connector (yellow and black) is in place and well seated. I tried shorting the power switch and again I only get the RAM LED light--no fans. I'm going to try to switch out one stick of ram with a crimm from my Dell to see if it makes a difference with just 256mb of 1066 rdram. Do you think the crimms are interchangeble?

Jim

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
Duh! I should have remembered that ;^) I'm going to try starting completely over--again. After that, Hari Kari might be an option!

super_upper

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2001
measure the outputs from the P/S.
I think you have a bad P/S. Be sure it is set for proper operation, ie 220v or 110v

good luck

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
I switched new power supplies (one was an Enermax 550W the other was a Antec True Power 400W) both acted the same. No fans just the RAM LED lit up. Using a voltmeter, I checked the voltage coming from the PSUs and the only voltage was the purple wire on the main cable and it agreed with the documentaion. In any event, following the troubleshooting flowchart, I figured the problem was in the MoBo. The fine people at NewEgg are sending a replacement. I'll drop a note when the new one is assembled. Thanks for all the suggestions :^)

gagetman

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2002
I am also having a boot problem with this board. I get the memory light like you did but with three beeps from amibios. However, all fans work. The beeps indicate to reseat the memory or replace with good memory. I've tried both 800 and 1066 rdram but the three beeps persist . All lights appear to function and the power light flashes along with the constant beeping. This tells me it's the board. If Gigabyte does not give me a quick fix. I will return the board to them and then go back to Asus for their latest board. I will let you know of my decision.

Kaote

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2002
No! My extreme machine is laying all over my workshop waiting for the replacement MoBo :^( I'll drop a note when I get the new one connected.