Sign in with
Your question

MMR: PlayStation 3 Delivers No Sound and Lots of Fury

Last response: in Video Games
January 22, 2007 4:32:14 PM

After finally getting our own PlayStation 3, a group of THG editors decided to put the console and its premiere launch title Resistance: Fall of Man to the test. But frustrating setup issues and audio problems, not to mention somewhat disappointing impressions from Resistance, left the group feeling under-whelmed by Sony's next-generation gaming effort.
January 22, 2007 5:50:05 PM

Quote:
man, that did not sound fun. i have a question though. was the image quality bad on the 24" pc monitor because the res was downscaled due to no HDMI or was it due to the pitifully low res 720P.

i mean 720P stretched to full panel size without a tonne of AA will look crap on a 24" but the game would look even worse if it was downscaled even lower.

did the image quality look ok on the HDTV. i only ask because as with the monitor that res of 720P ios very low compared to its native?

It was because the Gateway monitor had no HDMI connection. When we hooked it up to the Samsung HD TV, the picture quality was much better, though not as good as it could have been because the game only supported 720p and the TV was 1080p. Still, it was a vast improvement.

A note about the Gateway HD display: we've been playing lots of Wii on that monitor too, and we've had similar issues. On some games, such as Zelda, the picture sucks, and on others, it's fine.
January 22, 2007 5:58:31 PM

Is this autor the same guy that had article "10 reason not to buy a PS3" ?
hmmm... like anyone will take this review seriously!!!
Related resources
January 22, 2007 6:07:42 PM

A friend of mine bought the Sony PS3 over the weekend and brought it over to my apt so we can test it out on the LG 37" LCD HDTV with HDCP and it wouldn't display via HDMI. After 10 minutes of flipping through the PS3 manual he pressed the power button for 10 seconds to "reset" the console and volia it started to work. It went through the video setup process and it went without any issues from there.

On my 37" tv we didn't experience any audio issues via HDMI for both games and Blu-Ray movies. From what I understand there are some slight variations of HDMI format depending on the manufactuer. Granted HDMI been around long enough to have a set standard but I wouldn't think it would have affected audio at all. Very odd that that TV was having an issue with it.

I look forward to more reviews of the PS3.

Darkk
January 22, 2007 8:05:35 PM

LOL, yes, the PS3 has an initial setup routine that configured the system for the 24" Monitor. So when you took it to the HDMI equipped HDTV, it still wanted to talk to the 24" Monitor.

Resetting the system would have worked so much better. (Just like Darkk did... see reading the instructions does help... which leads me to "How many TG Editors does it take to install a PS3?... I don't know because they're too smart to read the instructions) LOL

Resistance? wtf cares about that game? lol

I'm loving Genji and Untold Legends and these are just crap games rolled out for initial release. Real games take years to make and won't be coming out on any system until at least 6 months after launch (such as Gears of War for the XBox360)

The system is damn sweet and I will enjoy the silly fluff games while waiting on the real ones that will be released this summer.

XBox 360: Great system too. Can only do 1080p on 5% of the HDTVs but still a sweet rig. (most TVs don't accept a 1080p over VGA nor Component just as some with even HDMI don't accept 1080p, read the fine print)
January 22, 2007 8:08:30 PM

Quote:
LOL, yes, the PS3 has an initial setup routine that configured the system for the 24" Monitor. So when you took it to the HDMI equipped HDTV, it still wanted to talk to the 24" Monitor.

Resetting the system would have worked so much better.

We did reset the system. Many times over, I assure you.
January 22, 2007 9:33:00 PM

Haha. I thought the article spoke for itself. Sounds like you guys did your best. I'll give you the benefit...

Too bad the PS3 has got such a bumpy beginning. Don't get me wrong, I can't stand Sony and won't buy a PS3, but I prefer to not like them for their arrogance, not for hardware flaws. I can accept a poor launch line-up, but hardware issues of this nature from someone constantly touting their superiority? Competition is supposed to be healthy for the industry, not an excuse to buy something else.

I'm hoping either you got a bad unit or Sony's trying really hard to make this right before they double sales with 20 more units sold. :p  (Couldn't help myself there.)
January 22, 2007 9:39:05 PM

I have been waiting patiently for you guys to do a review on the PS3, As I want one, but with all of the launch issues, I have held back. Thank you for giving us the review and your honest opinions.

One thing that strikes me about this new console and that you also pointed out as troublesome and your not alone, is the "Setup" that is involved. Setup in general in today's day of age of electronics is mostly consisted of "Plug and Play", granted the PS3 comes with instructions, but give me a break, the average consumer that has little to no knowledge of resolutions, what HDMI means, even what Optical audio is. Having the average consumer enter a system's OS and make manual changes, is always a recipe for disaster. The average consumer will have no idea what to do, nor the patience to understand. I can see that average consumer taking the system back to the store saying it's broken. Talk about a complete blunder on Sony's part!!.

Sony really needs to get some games on the market, and quick!!! I really Hope that there is hope left for the PS3 after the delay of so many launch titles. Games are what sell systems, If no one likes the games, or like Sony has done which is the worst case "there isn't that many", no one will buy the system, it's a simple fact.
January 22, 2007 10:41:44 PM

Quote:
After finally getting our own PlayStation 3, a group of THG editors decided to put the console and its premiere launch title Resistance: Fall of Man to the test. But frustrating setup issues and audio problems, not to mention somewhat disappointing impressions from Resistance, left the group feeling under-whelmed by Sony's next-generation gaming effort.

I would probably take this article more seriously if every single MMR article didn't bash the PS3 as much as it could. I am not sure I have seen more than one or two positive comments coming from this source.

That being said, I had no problem getting my PS3 about two weeks ago (walked into xxx and bought a 60GB no problem). I also had nowhere near the problems setting up my system. Though I am using component out for the audio and haven't tried the HDMI yet. I also found the Video and Audio menus to be fairly easy to navigate.

So far, I have only played NHL07 and some PS2 games, but I have been pleased with it so far. The picture on my HDTV looks really good. It still suffers from the same problems as all hockey games, IE the puck randomly changes directions and the players don't have the best physics.

I'll have to try the HDMI audio (unfortunately my stereo doesn't have an HDMI input) and report back what I experience. I also plan on trying out a few more of the games in the near future, and I will post my experiences as well.
January 23, 2007 12:04:34 AM

I completely disagree with the overall articles opinion of PS3 and of the game Resistance:FoM.
Lets start with the display issue.
With the native resolution and (unknown?) connection type you used with the gateway monitor, whats to say the XBox360 wouldnt look just as bad - have you tried the XBox360 with the same setup?
Sure everyone wants the absolute best visuals but did you know that the composite cables that came with the PS3 are almost as good as HDMI for 720P resolution games that are the norm?
With the PS3 having millions of units sold, are these HDMI problems actually widespread or just anecdotal?

Is the article supposed to be a full review of the PS3 and the game Resistance:FoM. If the answer is yes to the last question, shouldnt more time have been spent with Resistance and other games like Fight Night: Round 3 which looks superior on the PS3.

Having beaten both Resistance and Gears of War games, I believe that Resistance looks a little better to me and I thought that Gears of War was the overhyped up game. And lets compare the multiplayer aspect of those games: Resistance has 40 max players battling it out with free online subscription while you have to pay to play Gears of War online with as few as 8 players max, consisting mostly of a lot of shotgun blast and roll repetitions unless you have a descent team.
January 23, 2007 8:46:29 AM

I have nothing against the idea of the PS3 and I am not swayed by the reputation of a company that simply makes and promotes hardware. But mate your post reeks of SONY fanboyism. I mean the fact that you stated that the PS3 sold millions is simply not true. It shipped a ‘million’ and a lot of the stock shipped was returned, as the buyer could not sell the unit for an inflated price over eBay.

I my self will be getting a PS3, not when they are made available but when there are some decent games released for the consol. Hell I could not even buy one in a shop here anyway as Sony in there great wisdom decided the European market is not as important as the rest of the worlds.

All these issues simply sound like teething problems and no doubt there will be a load of firmware patches released to fix a load of problems but then there where a load of patches to fix a load of 360 problems a year ago too. I guess that’s one good thing about having the consol delayed, it will be free of most bugs and have a few good games out for the thing by then.
January 23, 2007 10:41:03 AM

Thats what bugs me about these recent blogs/articles. They bash PS3 because hating Sony is popular right now, while they were relatively nice to Xbox 360 despite its launch issues, including the fact that it was almost a paper launch due to short supply vs. demand.

PS3 has a lot of issues, (sometimes my sound gets garbled for a few secs) and I wish there were more games out, even though I rent more than I buy, but I think Rob is/has been unfairly harsh in his writings about it.

By the way, I tried the audio over HDMI directly to my TV, and it worked perfectly. It took maybe 2-5 seconds to set up.
January 23, 2007 11:49:44 AM

Bashing any company is popular when you put out an overhyped - underperforming product.

I've had the "pleasure" of using a PS3 (my boy Ryan) and I must say the exact same thing, FOM wasnt that great. Then again, GOW wasnt great either, but I found it a little more satisfying for some paticular reason.
I'm no console fanboy, the last console I owned was an N64 (You still can't top goldeneye multiplayer) but what sony has produced, I wont buy right now. I was tempted to buy an X360, however they had launch issues too.
Dont forget there were many harsh comments about M$ and their hardware as well, so I dont see rampaging fanboyism here.

This all in hand..... I think I'm picking up a wii :lol: 
January 23, 2007 12:27:49 PM

Maybe the problem lies with the actually TV rather than the PS3 since it works on some sets and not others. I would rather have these problems than the ones I am getting on my 360 right now with the game discs randomly stopping in the drive with the result of the games crashing half way through and no where near a save point or half way through a big online game that your hosting.

I wonder why SONY never replied to the requests for a test unit given the way that the news and topics have been swaying the last few months on this place :roll:
January 23, 2007 1:09:01 PM

I wish that your review wasn't so massively worthless. I don't think many people are having the HDMI problem, at least not as many as you are leading everyone to believe. My PS3 worked out of the box on my Sony Bravia LCD, no configuration necessary. Beyond that, I have switched my audio out from HDMI to optical on many occasions, which takes about 35-40 seconds depending on how fast I click the buttons. How it took you an hour is beyond me. But that is beside the point. Why, for any reason, would you even think to connect an HD console with composite cables when I'm sure that you above many other people in this world know it is going to look like crap because it limits the PS3 to 480i? And then to rip apart the visual quality of Resistance because of it is just simply unfair.

To make things worse, you gave a mediocre review of the game as a whole when you failed to even come close to experiencing the majority of it. Co-op and single player are fun, but not the greatest. The truly impressive piece of the game is the online 40 person multi-player that you "didn't get around to". I mean come on, it takes 5 minutes to create a PSN account. This review is worthless in more ways than one and is by no means a subjective review of anything except the HDMI issue.

Maybe we can read an unbiased review from one of the other editors in the near future. That would be nice.
January 23, 2007 4:44:00 PM

Quote:
I wish that your review wasn't so massively worthless. I don't think many people are having the HDMI problem, at least not as many as you are leading everyone to believe. My PS3 worked out of the box on my Sony Bravia LCD, no configuration necessary. Beyond that, I have switched my audio out from HDMI to optical on many occasions, which takes about 35-40 seconds depending on how fast I click the buttons. How it took you an hour is beyond me. But that is beside the point. Why, for any reason, would you even think to connect an HD console with composite cables when I'm sure that you above many other people in this world know it is going to look like crap because it limits the PS3 to 480i? And then to rip apart the visual quality of Resistance because of it is just simply unfair.

To make things worse, you gave a mediocre review of the game as a whole when you failed to even come close to experiencing the majority of it. Co-op and single player are fun, but not the greatest. The truly impressive piece of the game is the online 40 person multi-player that you "didn't get around to". I mean come on, it takes 5 minutes to create a PSN account. This review is worthless in more ways than one and is by no means a subjective review of anything except the HDMI issue.

Maybe we can read an unbiased review from one of the other editors in the near future. That would be nice.

January 23, 2007 5:16:43 PM

Where to begin...

Quote:
And then to rip apart the visual quality of Resistance because of it is just simply unfair.

To make things worse, you gave a mediocre review of the game as a whole when you failed to even come close to experiencing the majority of it. Co-op and single player are fun, but not the greatest.

Oh my gosh, you're right. That was a terribly one-sided review of Resistance. I should have written something like this:
"The co-op mode was quite enjoyable, especially on the 56" widescreen, and the multiplayer death matches were a blast."

Oh wait. I did write that. My bad.

Quote:
Why, for any reason, would you even think to connect an HD console with composite cables when I'm sure that you above many other people in this world know it is going to look like crap because it limits the PS3 to 480i?

Um, because there are more people with non-HD televisions and displays than those who do have them, and they just might want to know what the games look like, too.

Quote:
And then to rip apart the visual quality of Resistance because of it is just simply unfair.

I actually criticized the graphics of Resistance AFTER we hooked it up to the 1080p HD screen. And I stand by that critique.

Quote:
The truly impressive piece of the game is the online 40 person multi-player that you "didn't get around to". I mean come on, it takes 5 minutes to create a PSN account.

We did in fact start playing multiplayer online after I finished this column, and it's quite good (that will be in the next review column). Still doesn't make Resistance a "Halo killer" or top-notch title in my (and other THG editors') opinion.
January 23, 2007 5:49:43 PM

Quote:
Why, for any reason, would you even think to connect an HD console with composite cables when I'm sure that you above many other people in this world know it is going to look like crap because it limits the PS3 to 480i?

Um, because there are more people with non-HD televisions and displays than those who do have them, and they just might want to know what the games look like, too.

While this may be true in the general population, I do NOT think this is true among PS3 (and possibly XBox 360) owners. I think most people that are spending the money, especially for a PS3, realize that its a complete waste of time to do so on a standard TV. I don't have any statistics to back that up though, but I would bet you don't have any to refute it either.

I also think you need to work on accepting a bit of criticism about your articles. You seem to get very defensive whenever anyone isn't thrilled with what you produce. You can't possibly think there is no bias at all in the article with a misleading title that would have you believe most owners were having audio issues when that is just not true.

If nothing else, you did convince me to make sure I check out R:FoM for myself soon.
January 23, 2007 6:11:51 PM

Quote:
I don't have any statistics to back that up though, but I would bet you don't have any to refute it either.

A well thought out arguement. :p 

Quote:
If nothing else, you did convince me to make sure I check out R:FoM for myself soon.

Congrats Rob, another successful review. :p 

Two razzes for two people with one reply. A good day it is. :wink:
January 23, 2007 6:16:37 PM

"VICTORY!!!!!"
-- Johnny Drama
January 23, 2007 6:46:31 PM

Quote:
I don't have any statistics to back that up though, but I would bet you don't have any to refute it either.

A well thought out arguement. :p 

Actually, it was. My point was that his argument that most people don't have HDTVs was irrelevant to the market segment we are discussing. Saying the statistics for the larger population segment apply to the smaller one is an invalid conclusion.

Also, I planned on renting R:FoM before this article was ever thought of.
January 23, 2007 7:06:52 PM

"I also think you need to work on accepting a bit of criticism about your [posts]. You seem to get very defensive whenever anyone isn't thrilled with what you produce." :p 

On the other hand, it looks like Rob is taking it pretty well...

Quote:
"VICTORY!!!!!"
-- Johnny Drama
January 23, 2007 7:13:09 PM

Did you read Robs previous post??

Besides, that observation is based on more than just this one article. I have seen him get defensive several times at least.
January 23, 2007 7:24:02 PM

:(  Yes I read it. Yes I understood. Yes you're spoiling the fun. Nothing personal, I just thought it funny and hypocritical and the day is slow.

And now for some context lessons (and my turn to deal with criticism):

Quote:
On the other hand, it looks like Rob is taking it pretty well.

I never said he didn't take it poorly. I mearly suggested he had a change of mood, suspiciously after you complained.

Here, have an emoticon: :D 

Quote:
Besides, that observation is based on more than just this one article. I have seen him get defensive several times at least.

Yeah, so have I, but that would be this emoticon: :evil: 

I personally like to think of Rob as a forum flamer with a linked web site. :p  Helps me to stay calm. :wink:
January 23, 2007 8:08:53 PM

I don't know why you all keep ragging on the author. He never did say Resistance: Fall of Man sucked. He simply pointed out some of the flaws with the game. It's not even a long list of flaws, because he always points out something good about it afterwards.
January 23, 2007 8:14:03 PM

Quote:
I don't know why you all keep ragging on the author. He never did say Resistance: Fall of Man sucked. He simply pointed out some of the flaws with the game. It's not even a long list of flaws, because he always points out something good about it afterwards.

"Blue, you're my boy!!!!!"
-- Frank the Tank
January 23, 2007 8:30:28 PM

I actually never said anything about his judgments on R:FoM. I complained about his misleading title and the fact that any article he writes about PS3 starts out with a negative slant.
January 23, 2007 8:32:45 PM

Nice response, don't get so defensive just because someone points out your reviews are inadequate for forming any kind of opinion on your own.

Now where do I start...

You said:

Quote:
Oh my gosh, you're right. That was a terribly one-sided review of Resistance. I should have written something like this:
"The co-op mode was quite enjoyable, especially on the 56" widescreen, and the multiplayer death matches were a blast."

You should try leaving my post in context and not twisting my words to fit your twisted review. You did NOT cover anything online multi player, and I quote from your own review article:

Quote:
We didn't get around to testing the online multiplayer mode, which reportedly supports up to 40 players without any lag.

Wait, you just tried to be sarcastic and make me look bad by saying that you did...what's up with that? I can personally vouch for how amazingly fun the online games are, more entertaining than single/co-op/off line games. Then again you would have known that had you tried it before writing the article.

Next you said you connected it with composites because more people have non-HD TV's. Maybe, but I fully back what another poster wrote about people who own PS3's and 360's also own HD-TV's more often than not.

So I will ask again, as someone who reviews technology and understands that the PS3 is a High Definition console, why did you bother to connect it to a standard definition TV? Or maybe you really are just one of those people who don't understand technology enough to know how to properly connect it.

Another quote to prove you are pulling a John Kerry on your issues:

The original...

Quote:
I actually criticized the graphics of Resistance AFTER we hooked it up to the 1080p HD screen. And I stand by that critique.

And from your review article...

Quote:
First, the game's graphics looked mediocre without a true HD picture. Even on a slick display, like Gateway's LCD 24" widescreen, the picture looked grainy and sloppy.

Well no kidding genius, the game is designed for 720p! Of course it is going to look bad in 480i.

Looks like you forgot what you wrote in our own pathetic review.

I don't care that you are now playing online, you failed to do it prior to writing the review and instead wrote a terrible article. Resistance may not be a Halo killer, by at least give it a fair review.
January 23, 2007 8:39:42 PM

Quote:
I actually never said anything about his judgments on R:FoM. I complained about his misleading title and the fact that any article he writes about PS3 starts out with a negative slant.

Quote:
we had no desire to pay a ridiculous markup for a PS3 on eBay in the weeks after the launch.

That would probably be the most negative part above. Which, isn't really even negative. I don't know how the title's negative either.

Playstation 3 Delivers No Sound and Lots of Fury

That pretty accurately describes their experience setting up the PS3. I don't think the article's even a Resistance review but more of a Playstation 3 Setup Journal Entry.
January 23, 2007 8:48:35 PM

Quote:

You should try leaving my post in context and not twisting my words to fit your twisted review. You did NOT cover anything online multi player, and I quote from your own review article:

Quote:
We didn't get around to testing the online multiplayer mode, which reportedly supports up to 40 players without any lag.

Wait, you just tried to be sarcastic and make me look bad by saying that you did...what's up with that? I can personally vouch for how amazingly fun the online games are, more entertaining than single/co-op/off line games. Then again you would have known that had you tried it before writing the article.

He did give it the benefit of the doubt.

Quote:
That feature, along with the fact that Resistance is the best PS3 launch title we've played, could make the game worth buying.

Quote:

Next you said you connected it with composites because more people have non-HD TV's. Maybe, but I fully back what another poster wrote about people who own PS3's and 360's also own HD-TV's more often than not.

Again, not everybody. And it's not really a negative thing in his article since he gave his opinions while using the HDMI cable anyways.

Quote:
So I will ask again, as someone who reviews technology and understands that the PS3 is a High Definition console, why did you bother to connect it to a standard definition TV? Or maybe you really are just one of those people who don't understand technology enough to know how to properly connect it.

When did he connect it to a Standard Definition TV? That was a 24" Widescreen monitor, which is one hell of a good monitor and display.

Quote:
Another quote to prove you are pulling a John Kerry on your issues:

The original...

And from your review article...

Quote:
First, the game's graphics looked mediocre without a true HD picture. Even on a slick display, like Gateway's LCD 24" widescreen, the picture looked grainy and sloppy.

Well no kidding genius, the game is designed for 720p! Of course it is going to look bad in 480i.

Looks like you forgot what you wrote in our own pathetic review.

Um...

Quote:
Well, a bunch of us at THG - Fredi, Humphrey, Shelton, Max and Aaron and I - decided to unplug the console and head over to Fredi and Humphrey's apartment because they have a sweet 56" Samsung flat screen HD TV. I had high hopes that playing the game on the 56" Samsung would vastly improve the quality of the picture. And it did - once we got the console correctly configured and connected, which took about an hour.

Seriously, calm down.
January 23, 2007 9:01:17 PM

Quote:
we had no desire to pay a ridiculous markup for a PS3 on eBay in the weeks after the launch.

That would probably be the most negative part above. Which, isn't really even negative. Well, considering that at the time, I was able to walk right into the store and buy it at retail, that is misleading. Not to mention that I was referring to ALL of his articles about PS3, including "10 reasons not to buy a PS3".

Quote:
I don't know how the title's negative either.

That pretty accurately describes their experience setting up the PS3. I don't think the article's even a Resistance review but more of a Playstation 3 Setup Journal Entry.

Based on what? Do you actually have a PS3? Did you set one up and have those problems? Did everyone you know that has a PS3 have those problems? The title gives the impression that most PS3s have that problem, which is just untrue.
January 23, 2007 9:11:57 PM

Quote:
I don't know how the title's negative either.

Based on what? Do you actually have a PS3? Did you set one up and have those problems? Did everyone you know that has a PS3 have those problems? The title gives the impression that most PS3s have that problem, which is just untrue.

No, I don't own a Playstation 3, that's why I was reading this and at least considering the possibility. Very few people, if any, will read that title and immediately dismiss the PS3. If they do dismiss it, they would have, regardless if they had read the article of the title or not. He never did say that this was a common problem, he just pointed out that he wasn't the only one.
January 23, 2007 9:35:33 PM

Sh*t, Hergie's right. I do get defensive somtimes.

I try to engage in meaningful dialogues with readers on the forum and sometimes I get carried away with bitter sarcasm, with the rebuttal to CS986 being a prime example. I got nothing but love for the Forumites, even for the ones that hate me and think I have a raging anti-Sony bias. They make good points, too, sometimes. For example, I can see how Hergie feels the headline is misleading, though I disagree with his take. I was just trying to be clever, plus I'm a big William Faulkner fan.

Okay, let's get back on track.

Quote:
While this may be true in the general population, I do NOT think this is true among PS3 (and possibly XBox 360) owners. I think most people that are spending the money, especially for a PS3, realize that its a complete waste of time to do so on a standard TV. I don't have any statistics to back that up though, but I would bet you don't have any to refute it either.

Hergie, I resent you for your above point (which was a good one) and for making me spend half my day looking up stats and research on HDTVs and gamers. I did some digging and found some interesting stuff.

Here's a report from some analysts on Gamasutra that's worth reading:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20061009/wen_01.shtml

And here's a report commissioned by the ESA that states 60 percent of Xbox 360 owners already owned an HDTV.
http://www.theesa.com/files/VideoGames-Final.pdf

That number seemed high to me, and I couldn't find the study or survey in the end notes that indicated where the number came from. Still, I suppose it's possible since about 1 out of every 6 households in America have an HDTV (Leichtman Research Group).

Maybe I should start a poll on the forum...
January 23, 2007 10:05:02 PM

Rob,

Let me start off by saying I don't hate you or have anything against you. I just don't understand why most of your articles about PS3 are so negative. Yes, there are a lot of negative things to say, as there are with any launch, it just seems to me that there is not equal emphasis on the positives.

Great finds on the articles. Thanks for doing the work that I was too lazy to do. I should point out that I may be a bit skewed on the HDTV issue, since I already owned one (football looks too good on one not too) before my PS3. I should also point out that if I didn't already own one, no way was I getting a PS3. They are a waste of money without one, and no way would the wife let me buy both at the same time.

I did appreciate the creative application of the title, I just think that to a lot of non-owners, it could be a bit misleading.

I should also point out that in owning a PS3, I have a vested stake in its success. Since it is still early on, more people have to buy the console so that developers will continue to put money into making quality games, which drives more sales, etc. If no one buys it, the console will fail, and I'll be stuck with a few quality games and an HTPC (if I can find a linux flavor for it that supports the WiFi adapter).

The forum poll sounds like a good idea, maybe I'll start one...
January 23, 2007 10:07:52 PM

"You are still dangerous. But you can be my wingman anytime."
--Iceman
January 23, 2007 10:16:10 PM

Quote:
Maybe I should start a poll on the forum...

Please don't. They never accomplish anything as hardly anyone responds, relatively speaking. Besides, this is a tech-savvy crowd which skews the polls.

But for your admission of guilt, have a smiley: :D 
January 23, 2007 10:18:18 PM

Ever watched football at 92"? Made the Christmas projector purchase look great! (720p, btw.)
January 23, 2007 10:21:54 PM

Heh. Great game.

Just for the hell of it, I went ahead and created a poll in the general gaming section:

HD gaming poll

Feel free to chime in, even if its just to say the poll sucks.
January 23, 2007 10:25:54 PM

I have seen a few that were nearly that big out at sports bars.

At home I am stuck with a 30" Samsung SlimFit because of our room dimensions. But it does look great and displays in 1080i.

Sports is the one area where HDTV makes a HUGE difference in the picture.
January 23, 2007 10:50:46 PM

Quote:

I agree. HDTV is simply fantastic for sports. You can see pretty much every detail. For example, when I was having a complete meltdown on Sunday watching my Patriots lose to the Colts, I saw the exquisite detail of Reche "It Ain't So" Caldwell dropping two passes from Brady that essentially hit him right in the nuts. I'm getting a headache just thinking about that game. Good times.

No wonder I was so bitter and defensive today...
January 23, 2007 10:56:32 PM

Although I am a Steelers man myself, I can understand your frustration.

On the other hand, like you said, seeing the look in Caldwell's eyes when that happened in HD was priceless. I thought they were going to pop out of his head!
January 23, 2007 10:58:01 PM

"And quit staring at me with those bug eyes!"
-- Dr. Peter Venkman
January 23, 2007 11:06:45 PM

Hey Rob, I think I have been a bit too defensive as well, so sorry for that. I can see where you are coming from on a lot of that, and maybe I just like the PS3 too much, dont know, but either way I don't hate you...or even disagree with the majority of your comments. I do for some things in that article, but its down to opinion at that point so lets just move on and talk about the seemingly decent convo that has started.

CS
January 23, 2007 11:08:50 PM

Thats what I love about HDTV. You get to see so much that would not have been picked up before. I was surprised to how much lower adoption was in Europe. I wonder if it is due to lack of content or what?
January 23, 2007 11:24:39 PM

Now that all that's behind us, I suppose we moved to a completely new topic from the thread title... :wink:

Anyways, as I said earlier, I'm still here with a CRT SDTV for my viewing needs (haven't owned a console since the Original Playstation). I have my cousins come over from time to time, and they bring a Gamecube over and they still use Composite input (Yellow/White/Red cables), which looks fine to me. Is an HDTV really that much clearer? I've seen HDTVs in stores and they like nice and all, but the picture quality isn't all that much better.

Then again, I'm not a big sports fan. But for gaming, I don't see much of a difference either. My cousins use Composite at home and they have a 32" LCD HDTV there, and I've seen it, and it looks nearly the same, except for a slightly stretched image. So is it the Cable or the TV that makes the most difference in image quality? I'm leaning towards the cable.
January 23, 2007 11:34:30 PM

Quote:
Now that all that's behind us, I suppose we moved to a completely new topic from the thread title... :wink:

Anyways, as I said earlier, I'm still here with a CRT SDTV for my viewing needs (haven't owned a console since the Original Playstation). I have my cousins come over from time to time, and they bring a Gamecube over and they still use Composite input (Yellow/White/Red cables), which looks fine to me. Is an HDTV really that much clearer? I've seen HDTVs in stores and they like nice and all, but the picture quality isn't all that much better.

Then again, I'm not a big sports fan. But for gaming, I don't see much of a difference either. My cousins use Composite at home and they have a 32" LCD HDTV there, and I've seen it, and it looks nearly the same, except for a slightly stretched image. So is it the Cable or the TV that makes the most difference in image quality? I'm leaning towards the cable.

A couple of things you may be missing:

Gamecube cannot output in HD, so its not really a difference on an HDTV (though my PS2 did look a bit better on my HDTV, I chalk that up to being a better TV and using better cables).

The yellow, white, and red cables are not composite cables, they are component cables, which cannot output in HD. Composite cables are red, blue, and green.

You are right that in a lot of cases, there is not a huge difference, but in gaming and sports, there is a very large difference. Because of the way human sense work (thresholds and all that), you can't just look at an HDTV and say it doesn't look that much better, because it won't. However, if you watch HD for a bit and get acclimated to it, when you go back to SD TV, you really notice the difference.

As for your question, the answer is both. using the red, white, and yellow cables is barely better than coaxial, whereas composite or HDMI are much better, but you have to have the TV to display them properly.

Hope this clears up some stuff for you.
January 24, 2007 12:31:57 AM

Quote:
Quote:

The yellow, white, and red cables are not composite cables, they are component cables, which cannot output in HD. Composite cables are red, blue, and green.

You have them switched. Yellow is composite, Red, Blue, Green is component :) 

And I can see a huge difference between SD broadcast vs HD.
January 24, 2007 1:21:50 AM

Quote:

I agree. HDTV is simply fantastic for sports. You can see pretty much every detail. For example, when I was having a complete meltdown on Sunday watching my Patriots lose to the Colts, I saw the exquisite detail of Reche "It Ain't So" Caldwell dropping two passes from Brady that essentially hit him right in the nuts. I'm getting a headache just thinking about that game. Good times.

No wonder I was so bitter and defensive today...

:lol:  That game I mentioned on the big screen, that was the Seahawks' last. I was pretty bitter too. Josh Brown was supposed to make the game-winning field goal. At least I could be absolutely certain the kick was good standing a couple feet from the screen. :wink:
January 24, 2007 2:14:19 AM

Oops, you are right, my bad.
January 24, 2007 11:26:03 AM

Quote:
But mate your post reeks of SONY fanboyism. I mean the fact that you stated that the PS3 sold millions is simply not true. It shipped a ‘million’ and a lot of the stock shipped was returned, as the buyer could not sell the unit for an inflated price over eBay

Wrong, Sony has shipped 1 million PS3s in the US alone, and about 470,000 in Japan, so yes it is likely that they have shipped millions. That said, they have cut there target sales by 25% (to 4.5 million from 6 million) which is a huge issue for Sony.
http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/sony-miss-fy-playstation-3/story.aspx?guid=%7BC5DB94CB-AC1F-494B-874D-53E8B8241AD5%7D

From the Wall Street Journal:
http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2006/11/17/toy-story/
Quote:
According to a recent survey of more than 3,000 kids ages 5 to 18 by Weekly Reader Research, 40% preferred the PS3 versus only 25% for Microsoft’s Xbox 360 and 22% for the Wii.
!