isapnp Driver- ERROR CONTROL- Critical

June 26, 2004 1:11:01 AM

I have tried to post about this problem I have with my computer but am certain I can not have done it properly so here it is again . In the ---- System Environment > System Drivers , is listed isapnp Driver which I think is a Microsoft ?system driver for Plug and Play mainboard . Name: isapnp , Description : PNP ISA/EISA , File: c:\windows\system , Type: Kernel driver , Started: Yes , State: Running , Status:o K , Error Control : Critical , Accept Pause: No , Accept Stop : Yes . I can not understand what the ERROR CONTROL: means and to see it listed as "critical" scares me because the computer crashes now and then with a report of a driver problem . I have submitted the error reports to Microsoft . The installation CD Rom has a blue Bic ballpoint pen ink spot on it 2mm across and between the edge of the CD and the hole , and I wonder if this spot has had an effect on the installation proccess , though the installation is reported as successful .
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 12:05:26 PM

Windows Could Not Start Because the Following File Is Missing or Corrupt: Isapnp.sys"
Error Message at Startup
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;315311&Product=winxp
Explanation of error codes generated by Device Manager
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;310123&Product=winxp

You may think about a BIOS update as well.

The below article is simply data, but it shows the connection between isapnp and PnP
ISA/EISA
WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL BOOT PROCESS
http://www.saunalahti.fi/wpoet/fin/xpboot.txt

--
Mary Sauer MS MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/
"Nicholas B" <stanpatanne@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> I have tried to post about this problem I have with my computer but am certain I
can not have done it properly so here it is again . In the ---- System Environment
> System Drivers , is listed isapnp Driver which I think is a Microsoft
?system driver for Plug and Play mainboard . Name: isapnp , Description : PNP
ISA/EISA , File: c:\windows\system , Type: Kernel driver , Started: Yes , State:
Running , Status:o K , Error Control : Critical , Accept Pause: No , Accept
Stop : Yes . I can not understand what the ERROR CONTROL: means and to see it
listed as "critical" scares me because the computer crashes now and then with a
report of a driver problem . I have submitted the error reports to Microsoft . The
installation CD Rom has a blue Bic ballpoint pen ink spot on it 2mm across and
between the edge of the CD and the hole , and I wonder if this spot has had an
effect on the installation proccess , though the installation is reported as
successful .
Anonymous
June 27, 2004 6:45:01 AM

"Mary Sauer" wrote:

> [...]
> ISA/EISA
> WINDOWS XP PROFESSIONAL BOOT PROCESS
> http://www.saunalahti.fi/wpoet/fin/xpboot.txt
>

> --
> Mary Sauer MS MVP
> http://office.microsoft.com/
> http://www.mvps.org/msauer/
> "Nicholas B" <stanpatanne@ihug.co.nz> wrote in message
> > I have tried to post about this problem I have with my computer but am certain I
> can not have done it properly so here it is again . In the ---- System Environment
> > System Drivers , is listed isapnp Driver which I think is a Microsoft
> ?system driver for Plug and Play mainboard . Name: isapnp , Description : PNP
> ISA/EISA , File: c:\windows\system , Type: Kernel driver , Started: Yes , State:
> Running , Status:o K , Error Control : Critical , Accept Pause: No , Accept
> Stop : Yes . I can not understand what the ERROR CONTROL: means and to see it
> listed as "critical" scares me because the computer crashes now and then with a
> report of a driver problem . I have submitted the error reports to Microsoft . The
> installation CD Rom has a blue Bic ballpoint pen ink spot on it 2mm across and
> between the edge of the CD and the hole , and I wonder if this spot has had an
> effect on the installation proccess , though the installation is reported as
> successful .
>
> I have the latest Bios update for my mainboard .
> Windows installed and starts , reporting after installation successful . I think the ERROR CONTROL "critical" means ,the driver might have a problem controlling errors for some reason . After installing Mainboard drivers there is OTHER DEVICES > NETWORK CONTROLLER listed with an exclamation mark . Should the installation of the Mainboard drivers included Network controller for the OTHER DEVICES? I have disabled the OTHER DEVICES without any change to the "critical" report or anything else I have noticed . I am wondering whether a NETWORK CONTROLLER would affect a isapnp driver . Has a Network Controller anything to do with the Windows isapnp driver ? ERR....one other thing , can you help me with this one ? My Windows XP Home Edition installation CD has a 2mm round , 6 month old , blue Bic ballpoint pen ink spot between the edge and the centre of the CD . I have wondered only recently whether this is the cause of most of the problems I have had , would the installation of Windows really of been successful ? I have been looking through the computer files and noticed i386 and isapnp and am wondering too if they are next to each other on the CD , both being obscured from installation by the ink spot . Should I be concerned at all about ERROR CONTROL "critical" in System Information . I am in no hurry , just impatient .Thanks for you reply Mary . If I had not told the nice salesman I would install the software on the computer I would not be where I am today . Thanks , Nicholas
Anonymous
August 27, 2004 4:23:06 PM

"Nicholas B" wrote:

> I have tried to post about this problem I have with my computer but am certain I can not have done it properly so here it is again . In the ---- System Environment > System Drivers , is listed isapnp Driver which I think is a Microsoft ?system driver for Plug and Play mainboard . Name: isapnp , Description : PNP ISA/EISA , File: c:\windows\system , Type: Kernel driver , Started: Yes , State: Running , Status:o K , Error Control : Critical , Accept Pause: No , Accept Stop : Yes . I can not understand what the ERROR CONTROL: means and to see it listed as "critical" scares me because the computer crashes now and then with a report of a driver problem . I have submitted the error reports to Microsoft . The installation CD Rom has a blue Bic ballpoint pen ink spot on it 2mm across and between the edge of the CD and the hole , and I wonder if this spot has had an effect on the installation proccess , though the installation is reported as
successful .

I think the Error Control Critical has something to do with what the driver
is doing . And I removed the ink spot with Methylated spirits and gentle
rubbing , thanks
!