HD gaming poll

As a gamer, what are your thoughts on HDTV as it pertains to gaming?

• I have an HDTV and have/plan to buy a console to use with it.

Votes: 7 38.9%
  • I have an HDTV and use/plan to use it for PC gaming

Votes: 2 11.1%
  • I have an HDTV and use/plan to use it for all my gaming

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have an HDTV but do not use it for gaming

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I do not have an HDTV but I do have an XBox 360 or PS3

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • I do not have an HDTV or HD gaming capability but I plan on getting it soon

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • I do not have an HDTV or next gen console and don''t plan on getting either

Votes: 4 22.2%

• Total voters

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
While discussing the PS3 in another thread, the question came up whether most gamers with an XBox 360 or PS3 also own and HDTV or not. Rob Wright suggested a forum poll on the matter, and I thought it would be a good idea. Please add your thoughts as well...

morfinx

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2007
While discussing the PS3 in another thread, the question came up whether most gamers with an XBox 360 or PS3 also own and HDTV or not. Rob Wright suggested a forum poll on the matter, and I thought it would be a good idea. Please add your thoughts as well...

I think you should make it checkboxes. Some people use their HDTV for PC gaming and console gaming.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I didn't know how to make check boxes, but there is an entry for that. I tried to cover all the basses, and I only want people to be able to pick one.

Lushen124

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2006
Good idea on the poll, a few options I wish were there aren't there (Like I consider a Wii next-gen, but you don't need an HDTV for that), but it's a good idea.

VBDude

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2006
Well, I have an HDTV, and an HD projector, but my PC & console gaming is done on a Dell 2407. The TV and projector are used for movies mostly. Didn't have that option.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I don't disagree with you at all. I guess I should have clarified what I meant by HDTV with a PC, since a lot of larger monitors serve the same purpose.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
I would say the first option. Even though Wii isn't HD, the poll was more about how many gamers have HDTVs than what they use them with.

We are just curious as to whether a higher percentage of Gamers have HDTVs than the rest of the population.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
I think what you get here is not the " if higher percentage of gamers have HDTVs ", but "if higher percentage of gamers that visit tomshardware have HDTVs". I think the difference is big, and it is quite safe to say that tomshardware visitors are hardware enthusiasts and thus have much higher chance of having HDTV, gamers or not.

If you want to decouple statistics from hardware enthusiasm, then it is better to post on some pure gaming site, such as GameSpot.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Yeah yeah I know... This is just to satisfy my own curiosity anyway. I have already seen statistics stating that a higher percentage of Next-Gen owners own HDTVs than among others (as if I didn't know that without the stats).

GyRo567

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2005
Aside from the 4:3 ratio, I still prefer a standard TV even for DVDs. (I can't see the makeup on the actors in newer movies - I saw Revenge of the Sith in theaters on DLP & this was a significant problem - and older movies don't have the image quality for it anyway)

My view just gets harsher when we're talking about low resolution 4:3 consoles. The only thing I have that can even go widescreen is a Wii. I imagine an HDTV would be nice with an Xbox 360 or a Playstation 3, but I'm not interested at the moment. I have a PC for those games, and my monitor goes to 1600x1200 anyway, so I'm already at or beyond (depending on how you look at it) HDTV levels.

It also doesn't help that I'm just plain used to CRTs, and also that I like to see the pixels in games... >_>

I may be a more than slightly non-standard case though.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Its makes a big difference on the PS3 (obviously), but I must say I preferred widescreen format for the PS2 games that supported it as well.

As for TV, I don't watch much regular TV in HD, though I do try to watch all my sports in HD.

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
My monitor is showing its age and will be replaced by a HD capable monitor soon, but it REALLY bothers me that I have to carefully ensure the one I purchase supports the necessary DRM restrictions and HD encoding for future media formats (HDDVD, Blueray).

I am a computer tech/installer/support person, and I have NO CLUE what kind of HD TV I would purchase if I went in a store today. I would want it to do EVERYTHING, because it seems there are endless issues with this tv not supporting that resolution, etc. I want 720i, 720p, 1080i, 1080p capable, two hdmi outputs AND a DVI port for my PC. I want digital audio input and output, and I want standard definition broadcast to NOT look horrible (because most still is not HD). I want a 3 year warranty AT LEAST (because a CRT tv lasts 5 years EASILY, theres NO reason I should spend more for lesser longevity).

Does that sound like I'm demanding? I don't think so. All of these options are things which are available for purchase and may be used by the consumer. why do ALL modern LCD tv's not have all of this? because it's all a load of non-standardized crap. SIMLPLIFY or I'm not interested.

if the guys at THG can't get their PS3 looking beautiful on an HDTV capable monitor and/or tv better than what I own, it tells me there's a BIG technology problem.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Your arguments are one of the reasons why I went with a CRT HDTV. My only complaint with it is that because of the slim design, there is sometimes discoloration in the corners (this is a common problem in the model). However, when watching most things, you don't see it.

It looks great at both standard and HD resolutions (clearer picture than a friends 720p plasma, though the color isn't as clear and this is due to my TV being 1080i).

My PS3 looks pretty good with it for the games I have played, though I haven't played any of the games at 1080 yet (such as NBA 07).

TRENDING THREADS