Sign in with
Your question

Help me, please!

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
August 14, 2010 2:55:13 AM

Hello,
I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit for about a half-year now with absolutely no problems.
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33
Nvidia GeForce 8800GTS 512 mb
4 GB RAM
About a month ago I was playing a game and it carshed - blue screen.
I rebooted, but the crashes started happening more regularly. At first it was just in games, then videos...now my computer won't even boot up. During the regular boot process the screen is filled with red lines, then dots and then blue screen.
I can't imagine what it could be - video card, hard disk...
Any help would be appreciated. I'm not as computer literate as some of the people who are posting, but I can follow instructions well!
Thanks.

More about : question

a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2010 3:11:54 AM

The fact that your problems appeared first in games suggests to me that the problem is the video card. Games stress the video card the hardest and give symptoms like you first described.

The next possibility is a failing psu. If the unit is cheap or marginal as to power, then it may not be able to deliver power to the video card.

I would first try your video card in another pc, or try a different card in your pc.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2010 3:31:33 AM

Your statement "During the regular boot process the screen is filled with red lines, then dots and then blue screen. " seems to indicate a defective graphics card or a problem with the device driver for the graphics card.

Have you tried booting Windows 7 in Safe Mode to determine if it's the graphics card's device driver? Booting in safe mode should use Microsoft's default VGA device driver. If it works fine in safe mode then you can conclude that the graphics card's device driver is the culprit.
m
l
Related resources
August 14, 2010 3:59:28 AM

Thanks for your quick reply.
The red lines appear when the computer initially starts.
I can boot p in safe mode, but the black ground is full of red, broken, horizontal lines..but it loads in safe mode.
I have two partitioned hard drives with XP, 7 32-bit and 7 64-bit. Under a regular boot the computer now won't load any of the OSs. It seems to go through the boot cycle, but when the desktop should appear the computer restarts itself or goes to a blue screen and restarts itself. Sorry, when I try and boot up XP the desktop screen is contorted and the system freezes.

As for the PSU, it's a Silent King 550W device, which I think is pretty good.

Do these factors point conclusively to the video card? I don't have another system to test it in unless i take it to the shop.

Thanks.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2010 4:14:11 AM

Your statement "The red lines appear when the computer initially starts." would point to hardware (i.e. graphics card or monitor) since no Operating System would have even started loading yet.
m
l
August 14, 2010 4:20:13 AM

Thank you.
I'll check it out.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
August 14, 2010 9:28:46 AM

card dying
m
l