GT_CMPE

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
I have a soyo dragon mobo with an athlon xp 190+ cpu and a 350w psu.
Recently I shut the system down and now when I turn it on you can hear everything start up but nothing ever happens (no video...) Normally I have to hold insert to bypass the cpu fan speed checking (I have a large-fast fan) now I get no error beeps.
--I know the video card is good (I tried it in another unit)
--I tried starting-up with just video and memory, same result
--When I pull memory out I get the appropriate beeps.
--Clearing the bios yields different results, once it got the bios options and froze, once it gave an ORANGE screen?

Is the mobo/cpu toast? And how can I be sure?
Thanks...

The problem is always with the last thing you check ... so start there first.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by gt_cmpe on 07/31/02 03:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

GT_CMPE

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2002
really... any thoughts or ideas would be helpful.

The problem is always with the last thing you check ... so start there first.

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Hey G,

If you had another complete running system or could use one, you could try, checking your cpu in that running system to rule out the cpu. As for the mobo, that is a little more difficult. Just for kicks, after you find out if your cpu is good, try pulling your mobo out of the case, & putting it on a non-conductive surface like a piece of wood. reconnect your video card, & just one stick of ddr, no hdd or floppy. If it boots, you most likely have a case short of your mobo. Also, try switching out your PSU, with a name brand 350+ watt PSU like Enermax or Antec. That's all I can think of right now, Good Luck

Peace Out...................tile

god knows your entire system setup & he would answer your questions if he could just stop laughing