How to block out 0bjectional sites

Hello,
I wonder if someone could explain to me how to block someone from using my
computer to access pornographic websites? I went to Tools, Internet
Options, etc. and set it to Level 1, but this made it so that EVERY site you
try to go to, you need to use a password. I just want to have them locked
out of the porn sites, not the entire internet. I know that you can write in
the sites that you disapprove of, but I don't know what they are, and I'm
sure there must be so many urls, that would be unreasonable to do.
What's more of a problem is, I wish there was a way to do it, so that they
do not catch on that I know they've been doing this. I really don't think
they must know about the History button.
You're probably thinking I should just lock them out of the computer
altogether, but I don't wish to prevent them from using the computer
completely, and as I said, I do not want them to know I know.
I would like to be able to set this up ASAP, as they are returning later
this evening or tomorrow.
I would appreciate any help very much, as I have been trying to look for
information myself, but couldn't find any other than what I explained.
san
4 answers Last reply
More about block 0bjectional sites

    San;
    You most likely need a 3rd party application to fill your needs:
    http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    http://www.cybersitter.com/
    http://www.netnanny.com/index.html

    --
    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

    "San" <sannospam6@charter.net> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    > I wonder if someone could explain to me how to block someone from
    using my
    > computer to access pornographic websites? I went to Tools, Internet
    > Options, etc. and set it to Level 1, but this made it so that EVERY
    site you
    > try to go to, you need to use a password. I just want to have them
    locked
    > out of the porn sites, not the entire internet. I know that you can
    write in
    > the sites that you disapprove of, but I don't know what they are,
    and I'm
    > sure there must be so many urls, that would be unreasonable to do.
    > What's more of a problem is, I wish there was a way to do it, so
    that they
    > do not catch on that I know they've been doing this. I really don't
    think
    > they must know about the History button.
    > You're probably thinking I should just lock them out of the computer
    > altogether, but I don't wish to prevent them from using the computer
    > completely, and as I said, I do not want them to know I know.
    > I would like to be able to set this up ASAP, as they are returning
    later
    > this evening or tomorrow.
    > I would appreciate any help very much, as I have been trying to look
    for
    > information myself, but couldn't find any other than what I
    explained.
    > san

    Jupitor,
    Thanks for that, but I didn't want to buy a program, because as soon as
    they're gone, I won't need it anymore, so whatever I need to do will be
    something temporary.
    san

    "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    > You most likely need a 3rd party application to fill your needs:
    > http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    > http://www.cybersitter.com/
    > http://www.netnanny.com/index.html

    San;
    You could try Content Advisor:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=310401
    Content advisor is limited in its capabilities but it may help.
    Since it depends on the webmasters voluntarily labeling their sites,
    many offensive sites may not be blocked,

    --

    > Jupitor,
    > Thanks for that, but I didn't want to buy a program, because as soon
    as
    > they're gone, I won't need it anymore, so whatever I need to do will
    be
    > something temporary.
    > san
    >

    > "Jupiter Jones [MVP]"
    > > You most likely need a 3rd party application to fill your needs:
    > > http://www.cyberpatrol.com/
    > > http://www.cybersitter.com/
    > > http://www.netnanny.com/index.html

    There are some programs that are for just such a purpose (blocking
    adult sites). I don't know how well any of them work or which one to
    recommend. Do a Google search on the Internet and see what comes up.

    & just because one program might cost twice as much as the other, it
    doesn't mean it is any better, it might be worse. (You are talking to
    a guy who runs a lot of freeware, though not all...) ;-)

    Also, you should consider setting up separate accounts on your
    computer. You'll have yours, and your kids will have theirs (share
    one or create even another account).

    -------------------------
    On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 19:18:46 -0400, "San" <sannospam6@charter.net>
    wrote:
    >Hello,
    >I wonder if someone could explain to me how to block someone from using my
    >computer to access pornographic websites? I went to Tools, Internet
    >Options, etc. and set it to Level 1, but this made it so that EVERY site you
    >try to go to, you need to use a password. I just want to have them locked
    >out of the porn sites, not the entire internet. I know that you can write in
    >the sites that you disapprove of, but I don't know what they are, and I'm
    >sure there must be so many urls, that would be unreasonable to do.
    >What's more of a problem is, I wish there was a way to do it, so that they
    >do not catch on that I know they've been doing this. I really don't think
    >they must know about the History button.
    >You're probably thinking I should just lock them out of the computer
    >altogether, but I don't wish to prevent them from using the computer
    >completely, and as I said, I do not want them to know I know.
    >I would like to be able to set this up ASAP, as they are returning later
    >this evening or tomorrow.
    >I would appreciate any help very much, as I have been trying to look for
    >information myself, but couldn't find any other than what I explained.
    >san

    ....D.

Windows XP