curious

I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
use the computer for pure enjoyment only.

Thanks for your time.

Greetings --

Sygate's Personal Firewall is free.
http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote in message
> I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free
but the
> download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home
user and
> use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Visit the following web site for instructions on downloading
a FREE firewall program for your computer.

Ref: http://www.updatexp.com/free.html

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect your PC!

"curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote in message:

|I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
| download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
| use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
|
| Thanks for your time.

What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into the network connections in the control panel and double click on your connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

ZoneAlarm has a free version for personal use.

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

"curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote in message
>I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
> download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
> use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Try Zone Alarm, its free, its brill. Have used it for a couple of years. No probs.

"curious" wrote:

> I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
> download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
> use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
>
> Thanks for your time.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Best answer.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:51:40 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
wrote:

>Best answer.
>"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
>> What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It is robust
>enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the internet. As it
>is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any better free ones. SP2 has
>some improvements to the firewall. Go into the network connections in the
>control panel and double click on your connection to open the configurations
>windows. Then click the properties button on the general tab and then the
>advanced tab will give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
>> --
>> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those
>that can't.

I prefer Zone Alarm free edition for personal use.

Greetings --

That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.

WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
someone else using your computer) might download and install
inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
> What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It
is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
> --
> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count
and those that can't.

Greetings --

Why was it the best answer, because it was wrong?

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> Best answer.

"curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote:
>I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
>download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
>use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
>Thanks for your time.

I am sure others have answered with this, but here it is anyway.

1st, Windows XP has a built in firewall. It is a basic firewall that
doesn't tell you when an intrusion attempt is made or a program wants
to "get out" of your computer onto the Internet (Usually a legitimate
reason). But it works ok, just no bells and whistles. But you must
turn it on. To turn it on, click:
start\control-panel\network-connections,
then right-click on the network in there (modem or cable or whatever),
then choose "properties", then choose "advanced",
and check the box there that says "protect my computer etc etc".
Don't forget to "apply" or "OK" or however it saves your setting.

Or, I am told "Zone Alarm" is an excellent free Firewall. But as with
other programs, there is a free version and a "Pro" version. Make
sure you locate & download the free version. You get some bells and
whistles with it, as opposed to the XP firewall.

Also, a good free anti-virus program that updates itself is "AVG".
Again, get the free version not the Pro version.

....D.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

That's a personal preference. Don't screw up a good system by installing
UNNEEDED programs.
"Johnny Ungots" <JohnU23@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:51:40 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
> wrote:
>
> >Best answer.
> >"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
> >> What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It is
robust
> >enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the internet. As
it
> >is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any better free ones. SP2
has
> >some improvements to the firewall. Go into the network connections in the
> >control panel and double click on your connection to open the
configurations
> >windows. Then click the properties button on the general tab and then the
> >advanced tab will give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
> >> --
> >> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
those
> >that can't.
> >>
> I prefer Zone Alarm free edition for personal use.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

No it was correct.
"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> Greetings --
>
> Why was it the best answer, because it was wrong?
>
> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > Best answer.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the incoming is
blocked.
> Greetings --
>
> That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
> than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.
>
> WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
> attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
> alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
> working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
> does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
> someone else using your computer) might download and install
> inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
> than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
> about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
> any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
> it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
> Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
> that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
> spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
>
> ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
> built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
> free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
> available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
> although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
> ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
>

> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
> > What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It
> is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
> internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
> better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
> the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
> connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
> properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
> give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
> > --
> > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count
> and those that can't.

You are so wrong!

--
Regards:

Richard Urban

aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)

> Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the incoming
> is
> blocked.
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
>> Greetings --
>>
>> That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
>> than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.
>>
>> WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
>> attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
>> alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
>> working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
>> does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
>> someone else using your computer) might download and install
>> inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
>> than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
>> about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
>> any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
>> it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
>> Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
>> that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
>> spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
>>
>> ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
>> built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
>> free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
>> available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
>> although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
>> ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
>>

>> Bruce Chambers
>> --
>> Help us help you:
>> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>>
>> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
>> having both at once. - RAH
>>

>> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
>> > What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It
>> is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
>> internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
>> better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
>> the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
>> connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
>> properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
>> give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
>> > --
>> > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count
>> and those that can't.

Greetings --

Does it hurt to be so absolutely clueless? If there were any
justice in the world, it certainly would.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the
incoming is
> blocked.

Maybe he (she) should be calling himself / herself "unknowing" instead of
unknown.

Anyone posting who won't identify himself (herself) might not want to
embarrass themselves.

--
Joe

=====================================
ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

=====================================

"Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:Oj805DiXEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
> You are so wrong!
>
> --
> Regards:
>
> Richard Urban
>
> aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :)
>
> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the incoming
> > is
> > blocked.
> > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> >> Greetings --
> >>
> >> That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
> >> than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.
> >>
> >> WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
> >> attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
> >> alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
> >> working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
> >> does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
> >> someone else using your computer) might download and install
> >> inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
> >> than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
> >> about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
> >> any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
> >> it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
> >> Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
> >> that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
> >> spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
> >>
> >> ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
> >> built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
> >> free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
> >> available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
> >> although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
> >> ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
> >>

> >> Bruce Chambers
> >> --
> >> Help us help you:
> >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
> >>
> >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> >> having both at once. - RAH
> >>

> >> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
> >> is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
> >> internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
> >> better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
> >> the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
> >> connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
> >> properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
> >> give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
> >> and those that can't.

newbie

Thanks for all the replys - I have loaded Norton Personal Firewall.

"...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
> "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote:
> >I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
> >download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
> >use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
> >Thanks for your time.
>
> I am sure others have answered with this, but here it is anyway.
>
> 1st, Windows XP has a built in firewall. It is a basic firewall that
> doesn't tell you when an intrusion attempt is made or a program wants
> to "get out" of your computer onto the Internet (Usually a legitimate
> reason). But it works ok, just no bells and whistles. But you must
> turn it on. To turn it on, click:
> start\control-panel\network-connections,
> then right-click on the network in there (modem or cable or whatever),
> then choose "properties", then choose "advanced",
> and check the box there that says "protect my computer etc etc".
> Don't forget to "apply" or "OK" or however it saves your setting.
>
> Or, I am told "Zone Alarm" is an excellent free Firewall. But as with
> other programs, there is a free version and a "Pro" version. Make
> sure you locate & download the free version. You get some bells and
> whistles with it, as opposed to the XP firewall.
>
> Also, a good free anti-virus program that updates itself is "AVG".
> Again, get the free version not the Pro version.
>
> ...D.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can contact
him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are more
sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely popular Zone
Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but the
built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers. That is
about all most of us need"
And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by installing
unneeded garbage'
These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to problems
caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an excellent job
and will even be better when SP2 is released.

"Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Thanks for all the replys - I have loaded Norton Personal Firewall.
>

> "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
> > "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote:
> > >I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
> > >download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
> > >use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
> > >Thanks for your time.
> >
> > I am sure others have answered with this, but here it is anyway.
> >
> > 1st, Windows XP has a built in firewall. It is a basic firewall that
> > doesn't tell you when an intrusion attempt is made or a program wants
> > to "get out" of your computer onto the Internet (Usually a legitimate
> > reason). But it works ok, just no bells and whistles. But you must
> > turn it on. To turn it on, click:
> > start\control-panel\network-connections,
> > then right-click on the network in there (modem or cable or whatever),
> > then choose "properties", then choose "advanced",
> > and check the box there that says "protect my computer etc etc".
> > Don't forget to "apply" or "OK" or however it saves your setting.
> >
> > Or, I am told "Zone Alarm" is an excellent free Firewall. But as with
> > other programs, there is a free version and a "Pro" version. Make
> > sure you locate & download the free version. You get some bells and
> > whistles with it, as opposed to the XP firewall.
> >
> > Also, a good free anti-virus program that updates itself is "AVG".
> > Again, get the free version not the Pro version.
> >
> > ...D.

Greetings --

Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
"advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.

Bruce Chambers
--

> I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
contact
> him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
> In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
more
> sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
popular Zone
> Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
the
> built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
That is
> about all most of us need"
> And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
installing
> unneeded garbage'
> These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
problems
> caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
excellent job
> and will even be better when SP2 is released.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

By magnitudes his advice is superior than yours. Yours is always tinted with
fear rather than truth.
> Greetings --
>
> Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
> "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
> reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
>
> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
> contact
> > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
> > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
> more
> > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
> popular Zone
> > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
> the
> > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
> That is
> > about all most of us need"
> > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
> installing
> > unneeded garbage'
> > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
> problems
> > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
> excellent job
> > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

Bruce,
There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she will have
to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.

--
Joe

=====================================
ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

=====================================

"Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> Greetings --
>
> Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
> "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
> reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
>
> Bruce Chambers
> --
> Help us help you:
> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
>
> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> having both at once. - RAH
>

> "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
> contact
> > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
> > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
> more
> > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
> popular Zone
> > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
> the
> > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
> That is
> > about all most of us need"
> > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
> installing
> > unneeded garbage'
> > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
> problems
> > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
> excellent job
> > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

No you really haven't learned. If you did, you would understand and admit that
AV programs are not needed.
"Joe Roberts" <j.roberts37@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Bruce,
> There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she will have
> to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.
>
> --
> Joe
>
> =====================================
> ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004
>
> =====================================
>
> "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
> > Greetings --
> >
> > Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
> > "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
> > reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
> >
> > Bruce Chambers
> > --
> > Help us help you:
> > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
> >
> > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
> > having both at once. - RAH
> >

> > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
> > > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
> > contact
> > > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
> > > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
> > more
> > > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
> > popular Zone
> > > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
> > the
> > > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
> > That is
> > > about all most of us need"
> > > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
> > installing
> > > unneeded garbage'
> > > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
> > problems
> > > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
> > excellent job
> > > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

Greetings --

Oh, I realize that there's no chance of convincing "Unknown."
He's clearly made up his mind and has no intention of being influenced
by reality. I respond to him primarily so that the less experienced,
new computer users won't be so easily "taken in" by his simplistic
views; to let them see that his arbitrary pronouncements are not
universally accepted.

Bruce Chambers
--
Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having both at once. - RAH

"Joe Roberts" <j.roberts37@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> Bruce,
> There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she
will have
> to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.
>
> --
> Joe

Unknown

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002

Aren't you the one that was trying to tell me floppies have clusters? It's
beneficial to defrag a floppy?