firewall

I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
use the computer for pure enjoyment only.

Thanks for your time.
28 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    Greetings --

    Sygate's Personal Firewall is free.
    http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote in message
    > I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free
    but the
    > download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home
    user and
    > use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Visit the following web site for instructions on downloading
    a FREE firewall program for your computer.

    Ref: http://www.updatexp.com/free.html

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote in message:

    |I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
    | download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
    | use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    |
    | Thanks for your time.

    What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into the network connections in the control panel and double click on your connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    --
    There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

    ZoneAlarm has a free version for personal use.

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote in message
    >I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
    > download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
    > use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Try Zone Alarm, its free, its brill. Have used it for a couple of years. No probs.

    "curious" wrote:

    > I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
    > download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
    > use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    >
    > Thanks for your time.

    Best answer.

    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:51:40 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
    wrote:

    >Best answer.
    >"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It is robust
    >enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the internet. As it
    >is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any better free ones. SP2 has
    >some improvements to the firewall. Go into the network connections in the
    >control panel and double click on your connection to open the configurations
    >windows. Then click the properties button on the general tab and then the
    >advanced tab will give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    >> --
    >> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those
    >that can't.

    I prefer Zone Alarm free edition for personal use.

    Greetings --

    That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
    than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.

    WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
    alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
    working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
    does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
    someone else using your computer) might download and install
    inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
    than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
    about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
    any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
    it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
    Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
    that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
    spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It
    is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
    internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
    better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
    the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
    connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
    properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
    give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    > --
    > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count
    and those that can't.

    Greetings --

    Why was it the best answer, because it was wrong?

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Best answer.

    "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote:
    >I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
    >download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
    >use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    >Thanks for your time.

    I am sure others have answered with this, but here it is anyway.

    1st, Windows XP has a built in firewall. It is a basic firewall that
    doesn't tell you when an intrusion attempt is made or a program wants
    to "get out" of your computer onto the Internet (Usually a legitimate
    reason). But it works ok, just no bells and whistles. But you must
    turn it on. To turn it on, click:
    start\control-panel\network-connections,
    then right-click on the network in there (modem or cable or whatever),
    then choose "properties", then choose "advanced",
    and check the box there that says "protect my computer etc etc".
    Don't forget to "apply" or "OK" or however it saves your setting.

    Or, I am told "Zone Alarm" is an excellent free Firewall. But as with
    other programs, there is a free version and a "Pro" version. Make
    sure you locate & download the free version. You get some bells and
    whistles with it, as opposed to the XP firewall.

    Also, a good free anti-virus program that updates itself is "AVG".
    Again, get the free version not the Pro version.

    ....D.

    That's a personal preference. Don't screw up a good system by installing
    UNNEEDED programs.
    "Johnny Ungots" <JohnU23@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 17:51:40 GMT, "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >Best answer.
    > >"The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > >> What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It is
    robust
    > >enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the internet. As
    it
    > >is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any better free ones. SP2
    has
    > >some improvements to the firewall. Go into the network connections in the
    > >control panel and double click on your connection to open the
    configurations
    > >windows. Then click the properties button on the general tab and then the
    > >advanced tab will give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    > >> --
    > >> There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and
    those
    > >that can't.
    > >>
    > I prefer Zone Alarm free edition for personal use.

    No it was correct.
    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Why was it the best answer, because it was wrong?
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > Best answer.

    Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the incoming is
    blocked.
    > Greetings --
    >
    > That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
    > than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.
    >
    > WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    > attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
    > alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
    > working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
    > does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
    > someone else using your computer) might download and install
    > inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
    > than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
    > about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
    > any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
    > it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
    > Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
    > that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
    > spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
    >
    > ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    > built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    > free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    > available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    > although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    > ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
    >

    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > > What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It
    > is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
    > internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
    > better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
    > the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
    > connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
    > properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
    > give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    > > --
    > > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count
    > and those that can't.

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You are so wrong!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the incoming
    > is
    > blocked.
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    >> Greetings --
    >>
    >> That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
    >> than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.
    >>
    >> WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    >> attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
    >> alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
    >> working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
    >> does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
    >> someone else using your computer) might download and install
    >> inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
    >> than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
    >> about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
    >> any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
    >> it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
    >> Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
    >> that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
    >> spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
    >>
    >> ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    >> built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    >> free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    >> available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    >> although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    >> ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
    >>

    >> Bruce Chambers
    >> --
    >> Help us help you:
    >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >>
    >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    >> having both at once. - RAH
    >>

    >> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    >> > What's wrong with the free firewall that comes installed in XP? It
    >> is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
    >> internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
    >> better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
    >> the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
    >> connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
    >> properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
    >> give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    >> > --
    >> > There are three types of people in computing, those that can count
    >> and those that can't.

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Does it hurt to be so absolutely clueless? If there were any
    justice in the world, it certainly would.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the
    incoming is
    > blocked.
  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Maybe he (she) should be calling himself / herself "unknowing" instead of
    unknown.

    Anyone posting who won't identify himself (herself) might not want to
    embarrass themselves.

    --
    Joe

    =====================================
    ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

    =====================================

    "Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)" <richardurbanREMOVETHIS@hotmail.com> wrote in
    message news:Oj805DiXEHA.1652@TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl...
    > You are so wrong!
    >
    > --
    > Regards:
    >
    > Richard Urban
    >
    > aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > Once again, there is no need to monitor outgoing traffic if the incoming
    > > is
    > > blocked.
    > > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > >> Greetings --
    > >>
    > >> That's completely wrong. WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better
    > >> than nothing, but it's no substitute for a real firewall.
    > >>
    > >> WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    > >> attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
    > >> alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
    > >> working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
    > >> does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
    > >> someone else using your computer) might download and install
    > >> inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
    > >> than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
    > >> about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
    > >> any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
    > >> it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
    > >> Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
    > >> that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
    > >> spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.
    > >>
    > >> ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    > >> built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    > >> free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    > >> available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    > >> although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    > >> ZoneAlarm or Sygate.
    > >>

    > >> Bruce Chambers
    > >> --
    > >> Help us help you:
    > >> http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > >>
    > >> You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > >> having both at once. - RAH
    > >>

    > >> "The Unknown P" <( mikisiw@msn.com )> wrote in message
    > >> is robust enough that your computer will be virtually invisible to the
    > >> internet. As it is designed for and is in XP there aren't really any
    > >> better free ones. SP2 has some improvements to the firewall. Go into
    > >> the network connections in the control panel and double click on your
    > >> connection to open the configurations windows. Then click the
    > >> properties button on the general tab and then the advanced tab will
    > >> give you access to the firewall. Good luck. {:~)
    > >> and those that can't.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Thanks for all the replys - I have loaded Norton Personal Firewall.

    "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
    > "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote:
    > >I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
    > >download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
    > >use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    > >Thanks for your time.
    >
    > I am sure others have answered with this, but here it is anyway.
    >
    > 1st, Windows XP has a built in firewall. It is a basic firewall that
    > doesn't tell you when an intrusion attempt is made or a program wants
    > to "get out" of your computer onto the Internet (Usually a legitimate
    > reason). But it works ok, just no bells and whistles. But you must
    > turn it on. To turn it on, click:
    > start\control-panel\network-connections,
    > then right-click on the network in there (modem or cable or whatever),
    > then choose "properties", then choose "advanced",
    > and check the box there that says "protect my computer etc etc".
    > Don't forget to "apply" or "OK" or however it saves your setting.
    >
    > Or, I am told "Zone Alarm" is an excellent free Firewall. But as with
    > other programs, there is a free version and a "Pro" version. Make
    > sure you locate & download the free version. You get some bells and
    > whistles with it, as opposed to the XP firewall.
    >
    > Also, a good free anti-virus program that updates itself is "AVG".
    > Again, get the free version not the Pro version.
    >
    > ...D.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can contact
    him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
    In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are more
    sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely popular Zone
    Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but the
    built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers. That is
    about all most of us need"
    And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by installing
    unneeded garbage'
    These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to problems
    caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an excellent job
    and will even be better when SP2 is released.

    "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for all the replys - I have loaded Norton Personal Firewall.
    >

    > "...D." <d@no_usenet_email..org> wrote in message
    > > "curious" <curious@mydomain.com> wrote:
    > > >I have been looking for a free firewall. They say they are free but the
    > > >download is only free. I would like free software. I am a home user and
    > > >use the computer for pure enjoyment only.
    > > >Thanks for your time.
    > >
    > > I am sure others have answered with this, but here it is anyway.
    > >
    > > 1st, Windows XP has a built in firewall. It is a basic firewall that
    > > doesn't tell you when an intrusion attempt is made or a program wants
    > > to "get out" of your computer onto the Internet (Usually a legitimate
    > > reason). But it works ok, just no bells and whistles. But you must
    > > turn it on. To turn it on, click:
    > > start\control-panel\network-connections,
    > > then right-click on the network in there (modem or cable or whatever),
    > > then choose "properties", then choose "advanced",
    > > and check the box there that says "protect my computer etc etc".
    > > Don't forget to "apply" or "OK" or however it saves your setting.
    > >
    > > Or, I am told "Zone Alarm" is an excellent free Firewall. But as with
    > > other programs, there is a free version and a "Pro" version. Make
    > > sure you locate & download the free version. You get some bells and
    > > whistles with it, as opposed to the XP firewall.
    > >
    > > Also, a good free anti-virus program that updates itself is "AVG".
    > > Again, get the free version not the Pro version.
    > >
    > > ...D.

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
    "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
    reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.

    Bruce Chambers
    --

    > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
    contact
    > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
    > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
    more
    > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
    popular Zone
    > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
    the
    > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
    That is
    > about all most of us need"
    > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
    installing
    > unneeded garbage'
    > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
    problems
    > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
    excellent job
    > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

  20. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    By magnitudes his advice is superior than yours. Yours is always tinted with
    fear rather than truth.
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
    > "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
    > reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
    > contact
    > > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
    > > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
    > more
    > > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
    > popular Zone
    > > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
    > the
    > > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
    > That is
    > > about all most of us need"
    > > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
    > installing
    > > unneeded garbage'
    > > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
    > problems
    > > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
    > excellent job
    > > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

  21. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Bruce,
    There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she will have
    to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.

    --
    Joe

    =====================================
    ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004

    =====================================

    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
    > "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
    > reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
    > contact
    > > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
    > > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
    > more
    > > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
    > popular Zone
    > > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
    > the
    > > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
    > That is
    > > about all most of us need"
    > > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
    > installing
    > > unneeded garbage'
    > > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
    > problems
    > > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
    > excellent job
    > > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

  22. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    No you really haven't learned. If you did, you would understand and admit that
    AV programs are not needed.
    "Joe Roberts" <j.roberts37@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Bruce,
    > There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she will have
    > to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.
    >
    > --
    > Joe
    >
    > =====================================
    > ALL INCOMING AND OUTGOING MESSAGES ARE SCANNED BY NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2004
    >
    > =====================================
    >
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > > Greetings --
    > >
    > > Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
    > > "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
    > > reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > > --
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > > having both at once. - RAH
    > >

    > > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
    > > contact
    > > > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
    > > > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
    > > more
    > > > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
    > > popular Zone
    > > > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
    > > the
    > > > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
    > > That is
    > > > about all most of us need"
    > > > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
    > > installing
    > > > unneeded garbage'
    > > > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
    > > problems
    > > > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
    > > excellent job
    > > > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

  23. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Oh, I realize that there's no chance of convincing "Unknown."
    He's clearly made up his mind and has no intention of being influenced
    by reality. I respond to him primarily so that the less experienced,
    new computer users won't be so easily "taken in" by his simplistic
    views; to let them see that his arbitrary pronouncements are not
    universally accepted.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Joe Roberts" <j.roberts37@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > Bruce,
    > There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she
    will have
    > to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.
    >
    > --
    > Joe

  24. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Aren't you the one that was trying to tell me floppies have clusters? It's
    beneficial to defrag a floppy?
    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Yes, I've read, and laughed uproariously, over some of the
    > "advice" Mr. Coates has offered in the past. Citing him as your
    > reference does your cause no good, whatsoever.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > I will quote James Coates a writer for the Chicago Tribune. You can
    > contact
    > > him easily via e-mail at jcoates@tribune.com
    > > In Mondays Tribune in response to a question, Jim writes " there are
    > more
    > > sophisticated firewalls, including one from Norton and the hugely
    > popular Zone
    > > Alarm, to fine tune rules about which outsiders can access a PC, but
    > the
    > > built-in Windows firewall works just as well by stopping all comers.
    > That is
    > > about all most of us need"
    > > And my POINT is very simply 'don't dirty up your computer by
    > installing
    > > unneeded garbage'
    > > These news groups are all full of posts that ask for solutions to
    > problems
    > > caused by Norton, Zone Alarm. AV programs etc. Windows does an
    > excellent job
    > > and will even be better when SP2 is released.

  25. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Greetings --

    Nope, not me. That sounds more like something you'd have said,
    based upon your other opinions. It would be silly to defrag a floppy.

    Bruce Chambers
    --

    > Aren't you the one that was trying to tell me floppies have
    clusters? It's
    > beneficial to defrag a floppy?
  26. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You of course mean influenced by fear. Reality, very simply, is I have never
    had a virus but you for some reason don't believe that can be done.
    > Greetings --
    >
    > Oh, I realize that there's no chance of convincing "Unknown."
    > He's clearly made up his mind and has no intention of being influenced
    > by reality. I respond to him primarily so that the less experienced,
    > new computer users won't be so easily "taken in" by his simplistic
    > views; to let them see that his arbitrary pronouncements are not
    > universally accepted.
    >

    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Joe Roberts" <j.roberts37@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > Bruce,
    > > There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she
    > will have
    > > to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Joe

  27. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I don't believe you for one second. Now, go away!

    --
    Regards:

    Richard Urban

    aka Crusty (-: Old B@stard :-)

    > You of course mean influenced by fear. Reality, very simply, is I have
    never
    > had a virus but you for some reason don't believe that can be done.
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > > Greetings --
    > >
    > > Oh, I realize that there's no chance of convincing "Unknown."
    > > He's clearly made up his mind and has no intention of being influenced
    > > by reality. I respond to him primarily so that the less experienced,
    > > new computer users won't be so easily "taken in" by his simplistic
    > > views; to let them see that his arbitrary pronouncements are not
    > > universally accepted.
    > >

    > > Bruce Chambers
    > > --
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > > having both at once. - RAH
    > >

    > > "Joe Roberts" <j.roberts37@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
    > > > Bruce,
    > > > There is no use trying to convince this "unknowing" person. He/she
    > > will have
    > > > to learn the hard way as many of us have in the past.
    > > >
    > > > --
    > > > Joe

  28. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    And I've never had a dose of the clap.

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > You of course mean influenced by fear. Reality, very simply, is I have
    never
    > had a virus but you for some reason don't believe that can be done.

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP