How to copy files from folders

What I want to to do is open a folder and copy the file LISTINGS to
MSWORD......In other words, I just want to copy the name of the file
to WORD but NOT the contents of the file.
Is this possible and how can I do it????? Your help appreciated.

Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about copy files folders

    Please feel free to consult the Word experts in the Microsoft Word newsgroup:

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    Mike wrote:
    > What I want to to do is open a folder and copy the file LISTINGS to
    > MSWORD......In other words, I just want to copy the name of the file
    > to WORD but NOT the contents of the file.
    > Is this possible and how can I do it????? Your help appreciated.

    Open a command prompt in said subdirectory.
    At the command prompt, type:

    dir /b /o:n /a:-D > filename.txt

    Then open filename.txt in word.

    --
    <- Shenan ->

    | "Mike" <mrdspam@cheerful.com.INVALID>
    | wrote in message news:hceud0lopuhc417ue3eokj5pgohh16olco@4ax.com
    | What I want to to do is open a folder and copy the file
    | LISTINGS to MSWORD......In other words, I just want to
    | copy the name of the file to WORD but NOT the contents
    | of the file. Is this possible and how can I do it????? Your
    | help appreciated. Thanks

    If you have Microsoft Word then perhaps you have Microsoft
    Office and have installed Microsoft Outlook and its Integrated
    File Management Advanced Find component (finder.exe). If
    you have then you can use it to copy the names of the files
    into Word.

    To do that run Outlook, click Other or Other Shortcuts on the
    Outlook Bar, click My Computer, and navigate to the folder
    desired. Then, if desired, you can remove all columns except
    Name (and further refine the view) by selecting: [Menu bar]
    View | Current View | Customize Current View: Fields

    To save the table list of results:

    - Click within the table list of results
    - Choose [Menu bar] Edit | Select All (or keyboard: CTRL+A)
    - Use the keyboard command CTRL+C to copy the directory listing
    - Paste into Word by choosing Edit | Paste Special | Unformatted Text

    Note 1: You can paste the table list of results into Excel without
    using the Paste Special Unformatted Text Command.

    Note 2: You can print a table list of results directly from Outlook
    by clicking the File menu, clicking Print, and in the Print style
    box click Table Style.

    For information about how to "Print a view of a file list"
    search Microsoft Outlook Help for the words in double-
    quotes.

    For information about how to "Set up or remove individual
    components" search Microsoft Outlook Help for the words in
    double-quotes.

    Click Start, Click Run, drag file to dialog. Cut and paste into Word.

    http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
    "Mike" <mrdspam@cheerful.com> wrote in message news:hceud0lopuhc417ue3eokj5pgohh16olco@4ax.com...
    > What I want to to do is open a folder and copy the file LISTINGS to
    > MSWORD......In other words, I just want to copy the name of the file
    > to WORD but NOT the contents of the file.
    > Is this possible and how can I do it????? Your help appreciated.
    >
    > Thanks

Microsoft Windows XP