XP Firewall

Hi,

I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall enabled.
Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will the
built in option suffice?
19 answers Last reply
More about firewall

    "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall
    > enabled. Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal
    > Firewall, or will the built in option suffice?

    the windows firewall is as basic as you can get it stops incomming but not
    outgoing. i recomend zonealarm pro v4.5

    --
    If the information posted above helps then let me know.
    If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

    ---

    Windows Firewall is very very basic...better than nothing, but not much. I
    would recommend Norton Personal Firewall over ZoneAlarm (Free or Pro). I
    have used both, and find the Norton to be a much better firewall. If you
    pick up Norton Internet Security, you have a very well rounded package that
    gives you a very high degree of protection, a common interface for all of
    its components, and the ability to automatically update all the modules.

    Bobby

    "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall enabled.
    > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will
    > the
    > built in option suffice?

    Hi

    The XP Firewall monitors incoming access from the Internet, but does not
    monitor outgoing access to the Internet. May I suggest that you install a
    3rd party 2-way Firewall, such as ZoneAlarm:

    http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/information/zap/releaseHistory.html

    Download the 4.5 version for the moment.

    --

    Will Denny
    MS-MVP Windows - Shell/User

    "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    | Hi,
    |
    | I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall enabled.
    | Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will
    the
    | built in option suffice?

    I happen to use the free Windows XP firewall AND also the free Sygate
    firewall. I say "AND" because some will say you should not use two firewalls
    at same time but I seem to have no problem.
    Dannie

    "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall enabled.
    > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will
    the
    > built in option suffice?

    Dear Newbie

    Your built in option is a very basic firewall. You need the protection of Norton or
    Mcafee to stay protected. Also make sure you have virus protection, as firewall and virus protection are two different things. Norton is brill for virus protection and you can do no better than install the free version of Zone Alarm for your firewall.

    Hope this helps.

    "Newbie" wrote:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall enabled.
    > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will the
    > built in option suffice?

    The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.

    Really, in what way? Most would consider any user (Home user) some of the
    least understanding of the PC and internet world. You tell others never to
    use anti-virus software, only then to now say to use something that monitors
    internet activity one way. If they have no anti-virus, then there is no way
    for the user to tell if they attained a Trojan with the inadequate XP
    built-in firewall, since that virus/Trojan can broadcast back out over the
    net from their locations. You're giving really bad advice as one should have
    at least have a firewall that is good in both directions.

    Only an MS zealot like Carey Frisch would say that MS can totally take care
    of your PC for you, don't fall into that claptrap spiel also.

    Unknowns statement is true, if you don't mind some, inadvertently installed,
    malware sending your personal information out to others!! Both incoming and
    outgoing traffic need to be monitored for security. I use ZoneAlarm free
    with no problems. I am prejudiced against Norton products but, that is up to
    you.

    FWIW, JAX

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.
    > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall
    enabled.
    > > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will
    the
    > > built in option suffice?

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.
    > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall
    >> enabled. Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal
    >> Firewall, or will the built in option suffice?

    no it's not
    spyware/adware/trojans can all access the net with the windows "firewall"
    you NEED a third party firewall that can alert and block outgoing traffic

    --
    If the information posted above helps then let me know.
    If it doesn't more fool you for believing me.

    ---

    Oh Kelly take a pill. The firewall that comes with XP is robust enough for any stand alone home user. If you don't believe me or anyone then go to an independent test site yourself and have a look. I have had the firewall enabled since the day I installed XP over 2-1\2 yrs ago and have never been compromised. I now have XP SP2 RC2 installed and the firewall is better than ever. I simply don't see the need to waste anyones money when the one designed for and installed in XP works great. XP SP2 should be ready for general release later this year and you will also get a pop-up blocker that is also adequate for the job. Have fun. {:~)
    --
    There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.

    Greetings --

    Well, WinXP's built-in ICF is certainly better than nothing, but
    it's no substitute for a real firewall.

    WinXP's built-in firewall is _adequate_ at stopping incoming
    attacks, and hiding your ports from probes. It doesn't give you any
    alarms, or any other kind of indication, to tell you that it is
    working, though. Nor is it very easily configurable. What WinXP also
    does not do, is protect you from any Trojans or spyware that you (or
    someone else using your computer) might download and install
    inadvertently. It doesn't monitor out-going traffic at all, other
    than to check for IP-spoofing, much less block (or at even ask you
    about) the bad or the questionable out-going signals. It assumes that
    any application you have on your hard drive is there because you want
    it there, and therefore has your "permission" to access the Internet.
    Further, because the ICF is a "stateful" firewall, it will also assume
    that any incoming traffic that's a direct response to a Trojan's or
    spyware's out-going signal is also authorized.

    ZoneAlarm, Kerio, or Sygate are all much better than WinXP's
    built-in firewall, and are much more easily configured, and there are
    free versions of each readily available. Even the commercially
    available Symantec's Norton Personal Firewall is superior by far,
    although it does take a heavier toll of system performance then do
    ZoneAlarm or Sygate.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall
    enabled.
    > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or
    will the
    > built in option suffice?

    Greetings --

    No, that's very wrong. WinXP's ICF is enough for an advanced
    computer user who takes additional precautions, but it's no where near
    good enough for the "average" home computer user.

    Bruce Chambers
    --
    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    having both at once. - RAH

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.

    Define 'Adequate'

    "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> schreef in bericht
    > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.
    > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall
    enabled.
    > > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will
    the
    > > built in option suffice?

  14. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    adequate

    adequate ad¢i­kwit or ­kwat,
    adjective sufficient; competent.
    ad'equacy (­kwe­si) noun.
    ad'equately adverb.
    ad'equateness noun.
    ad'equative adjective.
    [Latin adaequatus made equal, from ad to, and aequus equal]

    (c) Larousse plc. All rights reserved

    http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html
    "GrandpaTCAM" <anonymouse@cat.com> wrote in message news:40e07e7d$0$244$4a441750@news.euronet.nl...
    > Define 'Adequate'
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> schreef in bericht
    > > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.
    > > "Newbie" <noidea@nospam.com> wrote in message
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall
    > enabled.
    > > > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will
    > the
    > > > built in option suffice?

  15. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Why do you need Norton or McAfee to stay protected? What is wrong with basic firewalls.

    "Griff.carol" <Griff.carol@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:E35F4653-8F1A-4D03-94CD-56ED265DE0F8@microsoft.com...
    > Dear Newbie
    >
    > Your built in option is a very basic firewall. You need the protection of Norton or
    > Mcafee to stay protected. Also make sure you have virus protection, as firewall and virus protection are two different things. Norton is brill for virus protection and you can do no better than install the free version of Zone Alarm for your firewall.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > "Newbie" wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > I am a single pc home user with a Win XP Pro OS with the Firewall enabled.
    > > Should I get a third party Firewall eg Norton Personal Firewall, or will the
    > > built in option suffice?

  16. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Hogwash. If you don't allow trash in, you needn't worry about what's going
    out. Please don't use that 'outgoing is not checked' routine.
    "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > Greetings --
    >
    > No, that's very wrong. WinXP's ICF is enough for an advanced
    > computer user who takes additional precautions, but it's no where near
    > good enough for the "average" home computer user.
    >
    > Bruce Chambers
    > --
    > Help us help you:
    > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    >
    > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > having both at once. - RAH
    >

    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.

  17. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    I think Bruce's key word there was, "AVERAGE". The average PC user has no
    idea how to prevent malware from being loaded to their machines, other than
    install 3rd party software to do it for them.

    The "additional precautions" that Bruce refers to would be over the heads of
    the vast majority of computer users. Their only interest in the machine is
    that it works good enough to do e-mail, surf the net, and play games. They
    have no knowledge of the computer itself.

    Bruce is quite capable of defending his own statement but, I just wanted to
    say, the "Hogwash" is coming from your direction.

    IMNSHO, JAX

    > Hogwash. If you don't allow trash in, you needn't worry about what's going
    > out. Please don't use that 'outgoing is not checked' routine.
    > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > > Greetings --
    > >
    > > No, that's very wrong. WinXP's ICF is enough for an advanced
    > > computer user who takes additional precautions, but it's no where near
    > > good enough for the "average" home computer user.
    > >
    > > Bruce Chambers
    > > --
    > > Help us help you:
    > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > >
    > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > > having both at once. - RAH
    > >

    > > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > > The XP firewall is more than adequate for any home user.

  18. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    On the contrary, once the firewall is turned on the Average user need not
    concern himself/herself
    about the firewall again. IMNSHO you have a fear phobia as big as Bruces.
    "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > I think Bruce's key word there was, "AVERAGE". The average PC user has no
    > idea how to prevent malware from being loaded to their machines, other than
    > install 3rd party software to do it for them.
    >
    > The "additional precautions" that Bruce refers to would be over the heads of
    > the vast majority of computer users. Their only interest in the machine is
    > that it works good enough to do e-mail, surf the net, and play games. They
    > have no knowledge of the computer itself.
    >
    > Bruce is quite capable of defending his own statement but, I just wanted to
    > say, the "Hogwash" is coming from your direction.
    >
    > IMNSHO, JAX
    >
    > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message
    > > Hogwash. If you don't allow trash in, you needn't worry about what's going
    > > out. Please don't use that 'outgoing is not checked' routine.
    > > "Bruce Chambers" <bchambers@nospamcableone.net> wrote in message
    > > > Greetings --
    > > >
    > > > No, that's very wrong. WinXP's ICF is enough for an advanced
    > > > computer user who takes additional precautions, but it's no where near
    > > > good enough for the "average" home computer user.
    > > >
    > > > Bruce Chambers
    > > > --
    > > > Help us help you:
    > > > http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    > > > http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
    > > >
    > > > You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on
    > > > having both at once. - RAH
    > > >

    > > > "Unknown" <Unknown@Somewhere.Kom> wrote in message

  19. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    You are missing the point here. That is, what the "average" user needs. They
    are not computer enthusiasts and need someone/something to look out for
    their best interests. Anyway, what harm would it do to install a more
    effective firewall, especially if it's free?

    JAX

    > On the contrary, once the firewall is turned on the Average user need not
    > concern himself/herself
    > about the firewall again. IMNSHO you have a fear phobia as big as Bruces.
    > "JAX" <slipslide@pop.not> wrote in message
    > > I think Bruce's key word there was, "AVERAGE". The average PC user has
    no
    > > idea how to prevent malware from being loaded to their machines, other
    than
    > > install 3rd party software to do it for them.
    > >
    > > The "additional precautions" that Bruce refers to would be over the
    heads of
    > > the vast majority of computer users. Their only interest in the machine
    is
    > > that it works good enough to do e-mail, surf the net, and play games.
    They
    > > have no knowledge of the computer itself.
    > >
    > > Bruce is quite capable of defending his own statement but, I just wanted
    > > say, the "Hogwash" is coming from your direction.
    > >
    > > IMNSHO, JAX

Firewalls Microsoft Windows XP