Clearing Start up programmes

June 28, 2004 6:46:13 AM

I have a lot of programmes that start when I first start
Windows XP home edition. How do I stop these programmes
Gordon
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 2:59:01 PM

See # 12 on this link:

Do not use MSCONFIG unless the other correct options are not
available.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"ggustar" <ggustar@excite.com> wrote in message
> I have a lot of programmes that start when I first start
> Windows XP home edition. How do I stop these programmes
> Gordon
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 5:00:01 PM

Take a closer look at what the thread is asking Jupiter. The poster clearly states that he wants programmes stopped not processes. start\run\msconfig\startup tab is the correct way to go. Then go to start\run\regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\Msconfig\startupFolder and StartupReg and remove the entries you just unchecked by right clicking on them then click delete. This only removes the useless entry from the startup tab not from your computer. When configuring newly installed programs you are often given the chance in their configuration interfaces to either have the program start at windows startup or not to. It's rare that a legitimate program doesn't give you this option. Good luck. {:~)
--
There are three types of people in computing, those that can count and those that can't.
June 28, 2004 5:09:25 PM

Thanks Matthew, I tried that and it can't find msconfig.
so I just put in config, it came up with several files one
was Startup but it only had 4 files in it. with no tick
boxes
Gordon
Anonymous
June 28, 2004 11:36:15 PM

Hi, click on start then go to run and type in ' msconfig '
you will see ' startup ' , click on that then clear the checkbox on the
program you wish not to run at start up.
Matthew Rowland
"ggustar" <ggustar@excite.com> wrote in message
>I have a lot of programmes that start when I first start
> Windows XP home edition. How do I stop these programmes
> Gordon

---
June 28, 2004 11:36:16 PM

June 29, 2004 10:24:53 AM

Jupitor did. MSConfig is NOT the correct way. It won't work on any program I write as I always write in self repair functions. Same with some other programs.

Include previous text when replying.

This is what they were refered to

12. Check this link to identify the running processes and how to stop the unnecessary ones:
Pacman's Portal Start-up Processes
Full List is a good place to start.

Some will suggest to use MSCONFIG to disable running applications.
Start/Run
Type "msconfig" ENTER
Click "Startup" Tab
And uncheck the undesired processes.
While this can work, it is a poor first choice to disable an application.
A problem with this method is some applications will create another instance in the Startup tab, eventually you may have many, all but one unchecked.

Once an item is unchecked in the Startup tab, "Selective Startup" is marked in the General tab.
Ideally "Normal Startup" should be marked in the General tab..

The Start-up tab in MSCONFIG is intended for troubleshooting.
If an application should not be started during boot, the best place to accomplish that is the application itself.
Open the application.
Then look for something like "Settings" or "Options".
Then look for something similar to "Run at boot" or "Load at start-up"
You need to disable it.
If you have problems determining how to disable an application, you may need to contact the application manufacturer directly or at their web site.

http://www.counterpunch.org/bageant06132004.html

!